homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Birth, Life, Death and GC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth, Life, Death and GC
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 21:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't really an appropriate forum for this, but I wanted to put it somewhere, so here it is.

The GC forums are rather unique on the internet, I think, or at least they aren't quite like anything I've encountered before. A lot of members have met each other face to face. A lot of members have been here for years, as well, and formed bonds even if they haven't met in person.

Together we've seen romances begin and end. We've seen forum members married and divorced. We've seen births and, sadly, deaths.

It's not a family, because new people can join and find acceptance, but somehow it seems like more than just a forum at times. I'm not sure what to call GC, but I'm glad it exists.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 21:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[insert meaningful post here]

Amen, brother. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 24, 2006 21:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Happytears]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 21:53      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, are you dying or something? It's not like you to be this sentimental. Come on, point us to some crazy videos that will have us reaching for the brain bleach. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 02:18      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this place is unique for sure.

Personally I hate message boards, they either have too broad spectrum of topics, or exactly the opposite. At the time I joined this forum, all I had in mind was to contribute to N&S because they cheered up my mornings for the last two years.

This board has just the right combination of topics and full of sensible, open-minded people, somehow I feel comfotable around here.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 05:16      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a 'me too'. Hit it on the nail Steen.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 05:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBWITW,PB_______________________I have to agree with you, Me thinks that Steen must have had a Life Altering experience, or some very good drugs.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 06:56      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even being new here I would agree that it is certainly unique. Even visually, the board is different than any other forum I've been involved with.

I don't think it's unique in the relationships aspect though. I've been involved with a few other boards where people have gotten to be good friends, met, found love, etc. That's what I love about the net. You can meet someone across the world with whom you would otherwise, never cross paths. Might even fall in love with them. It's a beautiful thing. [Wink]

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 08:23      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have to add is, D'awwwwww, GROUP HUG!!!!!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 25, 2006 08:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call GC an Internet community. Some kind of a virtual village, if you prefer. And I like it this way too. (As if you didn't already know.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 10:38      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been about a year and a half since I introduced myself by stating that this is one of the best forums out there, and I still think so. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 13:55      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*me wants whatever drugs Steen is on*

But really, I was pointed on here by a member on here. I dont do lots of posts on here, and I only follow one other forum elsewhere. But I do always enjoy coming here, reading about everyone, getting a good laugh for the day to carry me on through everything.So even though Im not too much into forums and stuff, I still follow this one avidly. Which really says something I hope.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture