homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Munich Rocks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Munich Rocks
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 11, 2006 01:08      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Munich today to give a talk at a conference. Very beautiful city. And it's Barvaria, so beer flows like, well, beer. And you can't swing a cat without hitting a pretzel or a sausage. I'm in pig heaven.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2006 05:51      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad you're one week late for the Oktoberfest, it was the hell of a party ;-) Enjoy the stay and have a successful conference.

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2006 18:47      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had a hell of a small party. My co-workers job is to get up early to set up the booth. My job is to close out the bar with our current and potential customers or business partners. It's tough work, but some one has to do it.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cubicle Ninja
Newbie Larva
Member # 6064

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted October 26, 2006 17:34      Profile for Cubicle Ninja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my friends works in Germany. He tells me that they have tap beer in the cantine!

Can this be true? I haven't seen it myself, but it sure sounds fantastic.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 01:30      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is quite a useful Munich links page, and quite a few posts about Munich on the incredibly beautiful food blog delicious days, and her recipes are pretty good too!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 07:25      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A beer tap in a company canteen is not unusual in Germany, although health&safety professionals try to ban them for obvious reasons [Wink] There are even some jobs that used to have a special perk called a "beer contingency" which means that people working in dusty or hot environments, such as in coalmines or near float-glass tanks were granted two bottles of beer per eight-hour shift. This has now been replaced by soda - oh, those good old times ...

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 09:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have the option of purchasing beer in the cafeteria as well. It is nothing out of the ordinary here either. the cool thing is beer and hot pretzels at the movies. There is nothing like kicking back a few while watching the latest comedy.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 14:27      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm last time I was in Munich was september 1972 for the Olympics.

Flew out of the airport just before they closed it. It was not until about 10 years later that I realised what had actually happened that day.

Actually, wrong, it was 1980 for a school trip, got absolutly plastered in the Höfbrauhaus and disgraced myself in front of a teacher [blush]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture