homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Living car free (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Living car free
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:50      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in Minneapolis for almost 2 weeks now and my car is parked with the parents in the south suburbs.

-

I am within walking distence of downtown (I'm close to the Metrodome the big white thing in the picture) And I also have a bus pass that I havn't used much. And with the stroller that I have had for years that has the really big tires I am walking all over. We have a really nice park 2 blocks away. And a small general store across the street. It's on the spendy side but if I need just milk or eggs it's fine.

The place I am at used to be an old hotel. It's about 90 years old. I love old buildings. But they painted over all the wood. I just want to grab a piece of sand paper and go to town on it. We have a private entrance thats really nice. It's a nice area.

Ok that's most of what I had to say. I'll think of something else later.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 11:06      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel. I live in Basel and have been car free since I emigrated and left my car behind. (18 months)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 11:15      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was car free from 1997 to 2003. Too poor to buy one. Yes, I was living that far on the margins. I have had a car since 2003.

It is amazing how far your walk radius can expand when you have to get somewhere. It is also amazing how fast the spare tire radius can expand when a person still eats like they are walking 15 miles a day but driving. [Wink]

Being car free by choice in a dense urban area and/or an area with good public transportation can be a great thing. No automobile in a rural, non-transportation area is just another nail in the poverty coffin.

I hope you enjoy minneapolis. I have heard wonderful things about the area.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 04:15      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Brighton we have this car sharing scheme in most parts of the town. It makes pretty good sense in an urban setting, and I may well join when my current motor goes belly up. Do you have anything similar in the US?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
electron5
Newbie Larva
Member # 5654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 05:31      Profile for electron5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couln't live without my car.
Posts: 7 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 05:39      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In DC they have a car sharing business similar to that. I remember reading about it this year in the paper but I dont know how well it is doing. It sounds interesting. I imagine it would work best in a slightly tighter and denser urban environment than I am currently living in. definitely would not work for those with extreme commutes i bet.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 07:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Here in Brighton we have this car sharing scheme in most parts of the town. It makes pretty good sense in an urban setting, and I may well join when my current motor goes belly up. Do you have anything similar in the US?

They also have car sharing here. I signed up for a trial four month period and never used a car. I never had a reason to.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 08:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zipcar zipcar uber alles uber alles uber alles in der welt [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 11:01      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Zipcar idea looks good. I think that I am going to check that out. I could get by without a car if not for a few days a month-- the zipcars might be a good option.

Welcome to Minneapolis MacD. I work at HCMC-- just a stone's throw from the dome.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 22:23      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad that Sydney trains & buses get me where I need to go 95% of the time. I would hate trying to drive & park in this city. [Eek!]

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2006 07:31      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RScottV:
Welcome to Minneapolis MacD. I work at HCMC-- just a stone's throw from the dome.

I could crawl to HCMC.

Ever been to The Old Spagehtti factory right off Park by the new Guthrie? It's one of my favorite places to eat. And with Guthrie opening TODAY!!! We are planning on seeing the Great Gatsby (First time on stage in decades). And it's all less then a mile away. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2006 12:58      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live 2 blocks from this sign (Taken about 10 minutes ago)

-

--------------------

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2006 14:15      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I could crawl to HCMC.

Hopefully you won't ever have to!

I haven't been to The Old Spagehtti factory, it looks like a place that my pasta-lovin' kids might like. I'll have to givie it a try. A friend of mine just went to the Guthrie and said that the food and the play was great.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2006 19:07      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
I could crawl to HCMC.

I haven't been to The Old Spagehtti factory, it looks like a place that my pasta-lovin' kids might like. I'll have to givie it a try. A friend of mine just went to the Guthrie and said that the food and the play was great.

It's not really a place for kids. I would say it's about as nice as an Olive Garden maybe a little nicer.

And did your friend see The Great Gatsby? They where talking about it on NPR and it sounds awesome. I really want to go see it. It is kind of apropriate to open the new Guthrie with something by Fitzgerald.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2006 01:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I could crawl to HCMC.

It's not really a place for kids. I would say it's about as nice as an Olive Garden maybe a little nicer.

As nice as Olive Garden.

/Me laughs.

Is olive garden a suppossed to be a restuarant nice enough not to take children to?

Olive garden is not a nice sit down restuarant. Any decent italian ristorante serves minumum 5 courses. (antipasti, primi piatti, secondi piatti, dolce, caffe)

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2006 07:17      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was implying it was nicer then lets say and Applebees or a Chilies. And Olive Garden is nicer then thoes places. And i try to discurage anyone from taking children to anyplace nicer then an Arbys.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2006 07:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And i try to discurage anyone from taking children to anyplace nicer then an Arbys.

WTF

Take your children to Olive Garden. They can serve decent pasta there. (for being an american restuarant and serving american food that sounds like it is italian.) The last thing I want is anouther generation to grow up thinking that pasta that comes from a can could taste good.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 12:19      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Car-free living has never really concerned me. I ride a bicycle every single day, and if the rain's too hard or the snow's too deep, I jump on the train.

I think that I've got it easier than driving society, since I never have to worry about parking tickets, speed limits, gas prices, or car insurance. I also never have to concern myself with gym memberships, since riding everywhere keeps me pretty whipped into shape.

I suppose that it's easier considering that I'm in an urban neighborhood, but come on. All it takes for cheap and easy car-free living is a bicycle, some muscle, and the courage to take on the freeway with nothing but an inch of styrofoam and plastic protecting your brainmeats from oncoming eighteen wheelers. [Razz]

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 12:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
I ride a bicycle every single day, and if the rain's too hard or the snow's too deep

This can happen?

I've ridden through just about everything save a wildfire.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 13:23      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bike that I have not been on in about 11 years. It's a nice bike 12 speed mountain bike. I was thinking about getting it out of storage. But I would need to get new tires and one of thoes little wagon things for the toddler. Not to mention a helmet.

I grew up in a place that was surounded by farms. A car was a must have item. Walking to the store was not something that could really be done. Unless you wanted to start in the early morning and not get back till around night. Not to mention having to carry all the stuff back.

So I am still adjusting to it. I got a nice pair of comfterble shoes and still have my awesome stroller for the toddler. It has cup holders, shocks and one hand controll so I can drink my coffee when pushing it. Not to mention a couple different compartments to put every thing. So I can use it when making short shopping trips. Or to put a small cooler in for picnics. Not to mention my calves are getting rock hard and I'm already getting thiner. Not loesing any wheight but adding muscle instead. I already went thru the weight loss thing when I gave up pop.

So it's very win win. I have to check if HCMC skyway is connected to the rest of the cities skyways for winter time. 2 blocks in the snow is not that bad and the skyway in Minneapolis will take you to just about anyplace in the city you want to go. I have actually heard the skyway in Minneapolis is a tourist destination because of how large it is.

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 13:36      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having just moved out of on-campus accommodation, I'm hoping to cycle to college every day. I dug my old bike out of the back of the garage, only to find that it was pretty small, and the chain had turned to a big ball of rust, and the rear brake had gone (yes, gone... gone away... I have no idea how...)

I'm a bit apprehensive about the traffic, and security, both being a bit scary in London. But I'm sure I'll be fine.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 17:34      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
I ride a bicycle every single day, and if the rain's too hard or the snow's too deep

This can happen?

I've ridden through just about everything save a wildfire.

This is Boston, we had three feet of standing water on a main throughway last June and it's not exceptional to expect three feet of snow on the ground this winter.

When you physically can't ride through it, it can be prudent to catch a bus. [Razz]

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 18:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need a James Bond-style pedalo adapt-a-kit, press a button on the bike and floats and a propeller drop down ... Or the wheels turn into paddles ... (Not Zorro's kind, mind)

mmmm water .... =)

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 20:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demos: Why did you have to go and mention the S word? I was enjoying the weather of late, save for the rain. Now then, I really want some beautiful NY fall weather, damn it!!! (It has been way too gloomy these days - it should be bright, blue skies, red trees, and 60s weather...)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2006 07:26      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

When you physically can't ride through it, it can be prudent to catch a bus. [Razz]

Demosthenes I didn't know that the word "prudent" was in your vocabulary! You must be getting old. [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture