homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Aplace in Internet Lore or History

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aplace in Internet Lore or History
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 05:45      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious as to how long some folks here have been on the net.

As for me, I have been around the Net since the late 80's. I was an early user of IRC (back when there were less than 50 users and only a few servers). I even got to meet the creater of IRC who visited Boston from Finland to meet some of users! I've conversed alot with MadGoat who helped put together the mIRC client. In the world of Usenet, I was somehow implicated in alt.stupidity's Bunny/Toaster lore.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 06:11      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You win...

Didn't get online until the days of ConnectFree and FreeOnline, which would have been... '98 possibly...

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 06:19            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since 1999, which was when I started university. Before that, I refused to go near it since I realised I would get addicted and I didn't need that (guess what, I am addicted ;)

Had I said yes, I wonder what it would have been like, since until about September 2000 my fastest computer was a 486 running Windows 3.11. Imagine the Web of 1999 on that in 256 colours (1024 res) in Internet Explorer 3.

But no, I got a 200 MHz Mac clone in 2000 and went online at home with that, using IE 5. IE 5 drove me up the fucking wall and I decided there had to be a better designed browser that didn't crash the system all the time, and that's when I converted to iCab!

So I missed out on the whole Usenet thing (not that it's dead) but I do remember being told to go on IRC, and recalling "Didn't that random ISP cover CD I got sent, have something called 'IRC' on it?" It did -- ircle. So I started IRC with that, and abandoned it for the superior ShadowIRC once it started nagging to be paid. With ircle, I ended up in Undernet #surrey (not UK Surrey, but Surrey BC Canada). To this day, no-one knows why I ended up in there, but that's how I met my gay admirer friend James. At least someone wanted me, even if it was another bloke...

IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 06:38      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does dialing into BBS count? If so, then count me in as of 1989. Otherwise, I wasn't plugged in until 1991.
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 06:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere in the early 90s. I don't recall. '92 or '93.

I was the second person in my city to get highspeed though. Got it in 1997. 50Kbps for a mere $65/mo!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 07:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1987 or 1988

I had just gone to college and was taking German lessons. As a way to practice reading German in a more 'fun' way, the professor told us how to use telnet to connect to this thing running on a German university's computers via telnet where you could chat with other people if they happened to connect at the same time.

And that's how I became addicted to MUDs and internet chat. I nearly bombed out of my first semester of college thanks to that, although I did straighten up and do better later. [shake head]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 09:19      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started in 1995, right after I graduated from high school. I was using Mosaic on a 2400 bps (if I remember correctly) modem, so I had turned off loading images by default. It wasn't long before I started using IRC and MUDs, as well.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 09:34      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think around 1990 for me, Prodigy on a 2400 baud modem.
<shudder/>

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 09:41      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'96 When I got it at home. When I was in high school I got to dabble in it a little bit.

They had passwords for every one but you had to take this class on how to use the internet properly. Or just do what I did and hi-jack the teachers computer when they where not looking.

We had so many computers in our school. When it was built it was the most expensive school in the state. As for computers we had 5 Windows labs with about 30 pc each and 2 Mac labs with about 40 Macs each. Then there was the Media Center (Library) that had both PC's and Macs spread out around it on 2 levels. Plus each classroom had 5 PC's and once in a while you saw a Mac in there if that teacher requested one.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 11:07      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
I think around 1990 for me, Prodigy on a 2400 baud modem.
<shudder/>

Same here.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 12:13      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Wasn't connected to the internet untill 1998 when i moved to Canada from Holland. But i'm happy that i did get connected then because it's been one heck of a ride.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 13:11      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'94 for me. I will always remember it. It was through an "introduction to Internet" service offered by the informatics club of the École Polytechnique de Montréal. I used the computer labs for a while with Lynx and Mosaic, then connected with the campus housing's network. I soon enrolled into eWorld, then tried AOL. I had the latter account disconnected three days later. I might still have a copy of Netscape 1.something (or was it 2.something?) for Mac on a floppy somewhere. (If the floppy is still intact.) I also have some vintage Internet utilities for FTP, Gopher, Usenet and such.

Ah! eWorld. I sometimes wish it was still around. (I loved the skins, especially the dragons and undersea ones.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 13:41      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
I'm just curious as to how long some folks here have been on the net.

I missed a good opportunity when I was college in 85/86, when we encouraged to "mess about" with some arcane 'electronic mail system' on the college's Prime mainframes. (I was studying Mech. Eng. - the real geeks got access to the Vax 'puters)

I suppose we then jump forward to 1996 at home, IIRC, when we were given a 486 desktop machine running Win95 with 8Mb RAM and a 1400 Baud US Robotics modem. We had a dial-up service with CompuServe and I still miss the really short email address which ended "@cs.com".

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 15:17      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was '95 for me. We were the first people in our extended family to own a computer- a Performa with a whole 16 megs of ram.

We signed up with AOL, and I remember my mom helping me sign up on a 'guinea pigs' group- I was obsessed with guinea pigs when I was younger. I think sometime later we learned how to chat with my uncle who has been programming since personal computers existed (and is still my mentor and resource for all things programming related). Of course, he had access to the internet long before we did.

A couple years later, we bought an original bondi-blue imac (which we still own) and switched to earthlink. This is when I really started surfing the 'net. A couple years after that and I acquired my own (used) imac, started playing around with CodeWarrior and installing linux (because I was told it had better tools for learning to program), and the rest is history.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 16:17      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first got online around '98 or '99 and have been hooked since.

Yay prodigy. </tongue-in-cheek>

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 18:26      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started telneting into a database for work in the late 80s. Then we had PINE e-mail. None of it was much fun. It was all so cludgy that you found your data and got off.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 20:03      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mid-90s. Through my elementary school.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 20:17      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dialed up on a Hayes SmartModem (1200 baud) to find local BBS in 1986. I was on one of the original 50,000 Macs ever built - upgraded to 512K (FatMac) with one external floppy plus the internal, each capable of containing 356K of data or programming. It ran on the original Mac OS, had a black and white built in monitor and made more noise than a pencil sharpener. But it was a great little machine for its time.

Access on the 'net at that time was sketchy. You had to poke around to find directories of sites that you could get to and, since most of them belonged to the governments and universities, they really didn't want outsiders hacking in. We mostly logged onto private servers via direct dial-up, meaning you had to know the phone number that their modem was connected to - there just weren't many public entryways and very few URLs at that time.

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 21:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my first 300 baud modem in '84, used it to dial up to the university VAX (not strictly legal, the dial-up lines were supposed to be staff only). Later became a regular user of Fidonet, a sort of paleolithic-internet, at a time when actual Internet access in oz was still only available through universities and government departments.

My first real internet access was in '94, in London, used it to keep in touch with folks back home. If I ever feel like bitching about my ISP, I just think of the 'good old days' of dial-up access in a shared household with BT charging like a wounded bull for timed local calls, ouch !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture