homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » temporary housing in Boston?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: temporary housing in Boston?
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 26, 2006 00:02      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Bostonians!
I will probably be working on a show at the Colonial Theatre in Boston this fall, and need a place to stay from mid September through the end of October. The company manager has compiled a list of nearby hotels, but he says there are many blackout dates. I'd like to do some of my own research, but don't know where to begin. I'm not even sure what neighborhood or other keywords to search for on craigslist, other than "theatre district."
I am exteremely directionally challenged, so would need to be very close to the theatre.
ANY input would be appreciated! Our per diem is $791/wk and I probably won't spend much on food.
Help me please! I am so bad at this stuff...
[weep] [Wink]

EDIT: aha... looks like Beacon Hill or Back Bay neighborhood...
/me heads back to craigslist

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 17:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay away from Back Bay and Beacon Hill, those neighborhoods are ridiculously expensive. You'd be much better off finding something in Cambridge, near the red line. It's pretty hard to get lost when the subway drops you off right next to the theater district, and you won't have to resort to cannibalism due to lack of funds [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 18:25      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also recommend anywhere off the red line. Try looking on craiglist for Davis Square in Somerville. It is an area with lots of young people and it is also a T stop.

Failing that, Jamaica Plain is a good area, some parts of which are on the orange line, others are off bus lines.

Allston is full of students and off the (slow) green line, but it is possible to find cheaper (for Boston) housing there.

My one warning to you is this: rent for a room in an aparment that you share with others will run you between 500 and 700 dollars a month. A one bedroom apartemnt is between 800-1200 dollars. A room in Back Bay would be even more expensive.

Good luck!

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 06:38      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somerville is cheaper than Cambridge, especially in the on-the-cusp-of-being-hip Davis Square. Go where the college students are.
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 11:12      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean Slummerville? [Razz]
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 12:09            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one of you two (Dee and Zee) should take her in as a lodger. It seems that neither of you are in Boston (without looking up Boston -- any districts it may have -- on a map) but it would just be so funny =)
IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 12:37      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a wonderful idea. How should we split her though, vertically or horizontally? Demos, decide which half you'll take while I go fetch the chainsaw [evil]

quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I think one of you two (Dee and Zee) should take her in as a lodger. It seems that neither of you are in Boston (without looking up Boston -- any districts it may have -- on a map) but it would just be so funny =)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 12:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong, but I think her job will require her to be fully intact, so these accomodations might not suit her needs. [Razz]

Then again, the wrongful unemployment suit could probably fetch millions...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 12:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or do it Borg Queen style, so you can detach and reattach the two halves at will.
IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 13:00      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out couchsurfing.com. It's usually for short trips and stays, but maybe there might be some suggestions there.

Good luck!

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 14:05      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK confession: I wimped out and am staying in the hotel arranged by the company. I am just not young and adventurous anymore. [cry baby]

Thanks for all the advice though! And this chainsaw thing does sound intriguing... [Eek!]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture