homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Stolen credit card info

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stolen credit card info
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 06, 2006 19:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like I'm one of the newest members of the "Stolen Credit Card Info" club. I got a call today from a guy claiming to be with a credit card fraud detection company checking on some charges made with my Visa debit card yesterday. The first two were charges I had made, but then he whips out a $550.00 charge made in a Mexican department store! He said he would shut the card off but that I had to call my bank myself to dispute the charge.

I wasn't entirely sure he was legitimate, although he didn't ask for any of my card info. I wondered if he was just trying to confirm info he was planning to use nefariously himself. But I hopped online and sure enough, my balance is around $500 lower than it should be. I called my bank's lost card hotline to make sure my card was disabled, and it was, so I guess the guy was the real deal.

So now I'm trying to figure out how my card info was stolen. Apparently the charge was made via swipe at a POS, so they had everything they needed to encode the mag stripe properly. I've never misplaced this card, and I never respond to phishing mail. I don't do anything financial from a link I didn't type in myself, or bookmark. And as far as I know my bank hasn't had it's e-security breached. Arg!

Man, I hope the rest of you had a better day than me.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call the mexican department store as soon as possible. A $500 purchase may have been remembered.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:27      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, sorry to hear about your news, and yes these people dont seem to have to get their hands on your card, the dark side of technology is advancing [Frown]
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:37      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a FYI: a lot of credit card info is "harvested" by cashiers - they swipe a card once for the correct transaction, then a second time in a card copier. You just have to meet the wrong cashier and loose your card from sight a few seconds for this to happen, so it's not your fault.

Also, it is recommended to shred receipts holding your card number, rather than just throwing them in the garbage (or worse, send them for recycling).

Now, the only thing you have to worry about is identity theft... [shake head]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 07:42      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka - unfortunately the charge hasn't actually been posted to my account yet, so I don't have any details. I can't even dispute it, even though my available balance has been reduced!

m.l - Yeah, and this was perfect ammunition for my paranoid mother-in-law to say, "See, I told you paying your bills online is too dangerous!"

Stereo - That's a good point. I'm well aware of how easy it is to copy a mag stripe. The system my team develops is basically a private credit/debit card system tied to university/business ID cards. Most swipe readers just simulate keyboard input. Find a Micros 3700 register, bring up a CMD window or Notepad, swipe a card and see the stripe contents as-is. Many modern registers run on some variant of Windows. Now that I think about it, you could probably slip a piece of malware onto the register and sniff a copy of every card that goes through with no extra swipes.

--------------------
Ugh!

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 13:32      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same thing happen to me with Netowrk Solutions, they ended up charging me $20, when I cancelled service a month earlier, a week before the date of renewal.

Call the Mexican department store, and ask. I work retail, and I'd crap my pants if I made a $500 sale , so I would remember it.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 15:07      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
m.l - Yeah, and this was perfect ammunition for my paranoid mother-in-law to say, "See, I told you paying your bills online is too dangerous!"
lol, my mum is like that too, if somthing happens to my computer, y'know just little things like a virus slowing my machine down, she will just say, "well I guess computers arnt worth the trouble" It annoys the hell out of me... [crazy]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 16:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Very* stupid argument...buying stuff online is many times safer than buying in person! (As evidenced by this story. :-/)

No slight to anyone in the restaurant industry...but that's one area I just won't use my plastic unless absolutely necessary. 99.9% of waitstaff may be perfectly honest, but I do understand that there's a handful of people who have card skimmers out there. Said crooks can make a copy of your card in a few seconds...and then process it as usual.

"Oh, but they'll check the signature!"
Haha...cute...
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/21/1333258&from=rss

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 17:21      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've been thinking about it, and restaurants are the only place my card leaves my sight. I rarely carry cash, but I may have to adjust that behavior for restaurants.

--------------------
Ugh!

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 20:45      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently returned from the Ukraine and the policy there is cash only.

Everyone tells you, including the locals, never to use your credit card or even your ATM card as there is a more than 60-70% chance that your details will be copied.
So it was back to cash everywhere.

Actually when I phoned the Ukranian embassy and asked what currency should I take to the Ukraine the offical answer was US dollars or Euros.
(For the record the currency is the Hryvnia)

As for checking signatures, everytime I use my card I check to see if the salesperson compares signatures. I would say that 9 times out of 10 they do not check. It is swipe, hand card back and watch me put it in the wallet, then wait for card to go through and ask for signature.

Hmmm, must start signing Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck just to see if they catch that [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 21:58      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I am not sure of the EXACT details, but here is the story:

A few months ago when the rest of the fam was on a vacation, ma paid for a hotel visit on the lobby computer with a credit card.
The next day they find that $300 is missing.
She said she 'cleared the information' and that there was no one around.
Any ideas?

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 00:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually leery of my new one, it's one of the ones that doesn't even need to be swiped, just waved by the reader.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 00:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
Okay I am not sure of the EXACT details, but here is the story:

A few months ago when the rest of the fam was on a vacation, ma paid for a hotel visit on the lobby computer with a credit card.
The next day they find that $300 is missing.
She said she 'cleared the information' and that there was no one around.
Any ideas?

A computer in the lobby of a hotel sounds like one of the least safe places to do a credit card transaction. SO many people could have access to a computer like that. The computer could have malware on it, a key katcher, or the card info could have been stolen do days earlier at a store or restaurant and just used then.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture