homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » OMFG! mobile broken (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: OMFG! mobile broken
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 09:38      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I went up to the toilet at my friends house, as I stood over the toilet and started unzipping my flies the darn phone dropped out of my hoddies poket and fell into the toilet!

Luckily for me the toilet had no "stuff" in it, so I didnt have to just abandon it, even though the toilet was free of "stuff" I still did'nt really want to put my hand in it, but I did, it was a brand new phone and I really wanted to save it.

Alas.

My efforts were in vain, I took it too pieces and left it too dry for a few hours, and now when I turn it on all I get is a flashing start-up image and then after about a minute it says insert sim [Frown]

Luckily my contract covers it but I dont know how long that is going to be...

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 09:54      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me be the first to say. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

If HP had made the phone, it would have survived. You might try taking off the face plate and battery out, rinsing it and drying it with a blow dryer.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 10:59      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you didn't flush it. That's happened here at the college last year. Twice.

The things travel just far enough that the plumber has to remove the whole toilet in order to push it back out.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 11:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the standard suggestions is to wash devices with de-ionised water. Dropping a device into water won't normally harm it, but the various substances and particles in the water are left behind when the water evaporates, some of them will corrode the circuits (salt is not a good substance to get it there), so the normal advice is to wash it out with de-ionised (very pure) water to remove anything nasty.

Might also want to clean the SIM slot contacts, maybe it can't read the card. You may want to try another SIM card, if you trust it not to be frying SIM cards.

The biggest danger is older PDAs, which don't use Flash RAM to store data. Water won't harm them, but it will short all of the motherboard and wipe the RAM. (And not all of them do come apart easily to wash out) That's why the idea of being anywhere near a pool always terrifies me, I don't want to be thrown in and discover too late that I've got to do some major disassembly and cleaning. And I may be somewhere too far from where I can back-up anyway. Not that I ever do, since it's too hard work, there are obnoxious share violation problems that sometimes require a reboot to clear, after you've tried in vain several times to complete the back-up.

IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 13:47      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting---I always thought that the battery/fusion reactor/power source would short the device out just by coming in contact with water--that the water would create contacts between things that were never meant to be joined and thus "bzzzzt" fry the system.

Not that I've ever tested the theory with any of my precious toys, of course.

Obviously my electronics geekery is somewhat limited....

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 13:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs Druids phone got put in the washing machine once, we opened it up, dried it out, and left it on a window-sill in the (winter) sun for a few days, and then gave it a try. It worked, kind of, but there sound quality was really bad, so we opened it up again and left it on the window sill for a few more days, and it worked fine.

The point I'm making here is that it takes more than a few hours to get all of the moisture out.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 14:07      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Let me be the first to say. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

If HP had made the phone, it would have survived. You might try taking off the face plate and battery out, rinsing it and drying it with a blow dryer.

/Rant

I will never again buy another HP/Compaq ever again in my life. They are the worst of the worst of the worst. I would rather use an Abacus with 2 beads then to use another HP.

/End Rant

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 15:35            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tirthas: A good question. I didn't think water was a good enough conductor, for example the battery clearly doesn't explode like if you put a piece of metal across the contacts. What might happen is that the battery is short circuited enough to disturb the device and trigger a crash.

Any electronics folk around?

IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 16:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure (distilled) water is surprisingly not a great conductor of electricity, added impurities in toilet water ie: piss would increase the the conductivity of water but still would have a fairly insignificant effect on the terminals of a cell phone battery. The actual electronics inside the phone are by and large transistors that switch on and off at discrete voltage levels (fluctuations)

As mentioned up thread, water is routinely used in the manufacturing of electronic devices, they are washed (in distilled water, among other things) posted production and carefully dried to halt corrosion.

A 'live' cell phone dropped in to a bowl of piss could well be toast. If it were powered down, simply taking it apart, rising it out (preferably with a contact cleaner type product) and drying it out thoroughly should bring it back from the brink. Cleaning behind the DTMF touch pad is critical. An alcohol based solvent and qtips will do this nicely. Many devices, like cells are factory sealed to keep most bodily fluids (hand sweat) away from the innards. Also, ESD straps should be used when handling the guts of electronic devices, static prolly kills more stuff that water damage.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 16:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tirthas the Geek:
Interesting---I always thought that the battery/fusion reactor/power source would short the device out just by coming in contact with water--that the water would create contacts between things that were never meant to be joined and thus "bzzzzt" fry the system.

Only if the water has some electrolytes in it (doesn't have to be metal, but metal does the job), and only if the device is powered up/plugged in at the time of immersion. Unfortunately, tap water has enough metal in it to give it some conductivity. Not much, but if your phone was turned on you could be hosed. And, like the Cap'n said, if there was piss in the toilet you're pretty much guaranteed to be fscked.

Also, assuming your phone has an LCD, your display may have gotten mucked up. Just a warning.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 16:38      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious...That's good to know--I've dealt with lots of "oops I dumped my full glass of water on my new keyboard" scenarios and just assumed they were toast. Sounds like I could have simply opened them up, wiped them, waited a day or two and reassembled. Of course a $50 keyboard probably isn't worth the time it would take to disassemble, but a $2500 laptop.....

Thanks for the clarification.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 19:53      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D: I will never again buy another HP/Compaq ever again in my life. They are the worst of the worst of the worst. I would rather use an Abacus with 2 beads then to use another HP.
I'm with you as far as their computers and software, but their calculators were built like tanks.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 22:23      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunatly my mobile was live when I dropped it in the toilet, and it did have an LCD screen, and YES the screen is fucked.

quote:
if you trust it not to be frying SIM cards.

nope i dont trust it... really dont want to spend say 20 english notes on a sim card only to put it in and find that I have been a dick. (again) /*cough*

Someone mentioned that using a cleaning product could help wash away the nastys causing my phone to malfunction, I was wondering if there are specific types of cleaners I should use (if so I live in england) or are they fairly universal?

The sim is fried I just tryed it in my friends phone, luckily the memory stick is still alive [Smile]

canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 05:04      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tirthas the Geek:

As Cap'n and Xanthine have pointed out, water (As in H20, and nothing else) is actually not a conductor at all, it's all of the impurities that are found in our water that allow the current to pass.

quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic
Someone mentioned that using a cleaning product could help wash away the nastys causing my phone to malfunction, I was wondering if there are specific types of cleaners I should use (if so I live in england) or are they fairly universal?

if in doubt....try isopropyl alcohol... it works for almost anything.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 04:38      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice but I think it would be alot easier just going to get a replacement instead of trying to source and then buy some isopropyl alcohol....

I am going to the carphone warehouse on monday to see what they can do with it, but either way i will have a new phone, woot!

I was hoping that maybe I could fix it with Mr.Muscle when someone said cleaning products, in which case I would have risen to the challenge, but after contemplation I have decided to get a replacement.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 10:00      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
...instead of trying to source and then buy some isopropyl alcohol....

Yeah, I know, it's so hard to find a grocery, drug, or convience store these days. And $0.99 cents is so tough to spare...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 11:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:

Yeah, I know, it's so hard to find a grocery, drug, or convience store these days. And $0.99 cents is so tough to spare...
To many people, chemistry is greek. If you don't know what isopropyl alcohol is you might not know the difference between it and dimethylmercury. People just want to stay away from chemicals with long scary names even though they may be harmless because for all they know they could be dangerous.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 11:52      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that and the fact that there is little point trying to fix a mobile phone that already has insurance.

My point was, that if it was a simple cleaning agent like mr.muscle that I could find in my cuboards, then yes I would try, but isopropyl alcohol is not the sort of thing I keep for emergencies...

And I have never seen isopropyl alcohol in a grocery store before either, drug and convience stores maybe, grocery? I thourght they sold vegetables? [ohwell]

It is a little out of my way actully to get to the convience stores, as I live in the countryside, and my only means of transport is a lame bus route and my bicycle. [Wink]

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 12:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where I live you can buy 70% isoprop at Safeway. It's called rubbing alcohol. [Wink]

If it's not at your nearest supermarket it is, without a doubt, at your nearest pharmacy. People like it for cleaning wounds, cleaning thermometers, and if you're old school, cooling fevers. I wouldn't go so far as to say it cleans everything - sometimes plain ol' water does better than solvents, but it's good stuff.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 20:15      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:

To many people, chemistry is greek. If you don't know what isopropyl alcohol is you might not know the difference between it and dimethylmercury. People just want to stay away from chemicals with long scary names even though they may be harmless because for all they know they could be dangerous.
Wow, that is some nasty stuff. I knew what isopropyl alcohol was, but I had no idea about dimethylmercury, so I still could have mixed them up.

I suppose it's important not to rely on the sensory properties of chemicals - you've probably all seen the H2SO4 shirt.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 23:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason MMKK that comment brings to mind all the fun I've had with acid fumes. I learned the hard way H2SO4 and HCl have odors that you can detect about one millisecond before your the inside of your nose starts hurting. And I wasn't even trying to take a sniff either. :/

One drop of dimethylmercury killed a toxicologist at Dartmouth a while back. It ook six months for that one drop to eat its way through her brain. The tragic part is, she knew as soon as the stuff landed on her glove that she was dead.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 03:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
For some reason MMKK that comment brings to mind all the fun I've had with acid fumes. I learned the hard way H2SO4 and HCl have odors that you can detect about one millisecond before your the inside of your nose starts hurting. And I wasn't even trying to take a sniff either. :/

One drop of dimethylmercury killed a toxicologist at Dartmouth a while back. It ook six months for that one drop to eat its way through her brain. The tragic part is, she knew as soon as the stuff landed on her glove that she was dead.

In organic chem 2 lab one day I was running a reflux expirement. I was supposed to reflux for 45 minutes or something and wait for a precipitate. My experiment was not working and I was convinced it was because our penny pinching prof had replaced the glacial acetic acid with vinegar. He had actually done this in an expirement a year before but had told us that he did it. I walked over to the fume hood, grabbed the glass 5 Liter jug of what I thought was vinegar opened the lid and inhaled to confirm my suspicions. Inhaling the fumes of glacial acetic acid burns like hell. I barely had time to tip the bottle back under the fume hood before I fell to the ground. If I hadn't I would have spilled it all over me and that would have been bad. Well lucky for me my prof was outside smoking and the other students in the lab were cool so I never got caught. I wonder how many brain cells I killed of with that little stunt.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 08:22      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off-topic : Xanthine & Ashitaka...

I understand that you both work in labs or close to one, chemistry interests me a lot, My question is what exactly do you two do at work? just curious.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 15:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka: and here I thought I was lucky to survive organic lab! I had to use glacial acetic a little while ago to clean the rim of a jar. I had to do this ob over the sink, so I had to smell it. I started retching. Fortunately, I hadn't eaten in a while som nothing actually came up.

As an undergrad I ended up doing thin layer chromatography on nucleotides. One of the solvent systems I was using involved isobutyric acid. Isobutyric acid is has a warning label that says stench. This should have been my first red flag - they don't joke with the warning labels. Lots of things that smell bad don't get a stench warning.

Imagine a pair of socks that wou have worn day and night for a year. Imagine that you put them in a plastic bag and let them ferment in a dark warm place for another year. Distill that down, multiply by one thousand, and that's what isobutyric acid smells like. I made the mistake of opening up the bottle outside the hood once. I didn't pass out, but the post-doc sitting nearby and I almost threw up and my eyes got kinda teary.

maybe.logic: I'm a grad student. I do RNA crystallography because protein crystallography is boring (well, not really, but I just like to give protein people a hard time). This means I get to work with some fairly exotic things like iridium compounds as well as more common place stuff like magnesium chloride. And water. Lots and lots of water.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 01:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe.logic__________Currently I do technical support of water soluble polymers for cosmetics. This means I help develop new shampoo formulations for Europe. I however will start a new job on September 18th. I will be back in a pharmacuetical company developing HPLC seperation methods for interesting molecules.

That is also not the only stupid thing I have ever done in a lab. In analytical chem. I once spilled a solution of dimethyl sulfoxide and methanol on my hand. It went numb for six hours. I never told my prof. My roommate just laughed when I told him. The thing is MSDO has nothing about numbness on its MSDS. Methanol should also be harmless on the skin. I guess it is a curious effect of the two mixed.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture