homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Punctuation (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Punctuation
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:11      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A woman without her man is nothing."

Punctuate the above.

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:16      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A woman: Without her, man is nothing!
A woman without her man, is nothing!

Thus proving that I am fair and balanced.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:48      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the double post, but would anyone like to incorporate the following into a sentence?

had had had had had had had had had

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 07:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace Raven wrote:
"A woman without her man is nothing."

Punctuate the above.

In addition to the usual two answers, you can also punctuate it this way:

A woman without. Her man is nothing.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ArcticBlue
Mini Geek
Member # 4034

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 20:41      Profile for ArcticBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A woman, without her man, is nothing.
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 21:19      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Sorry for the double post, but would anyone like to incorporate the following into a sentence?

had had had had had had had had had

There was a time when I had had had had had had had had had a stuttering problem. [Big Grin]

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 00:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AntonTakk:
There was a time when I had had had had had had had had had a stuttering problem.

[Applause] [Applause] Not the answer I was looking for, but a valid one all the same! [Big Grin]

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 06:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was anyone else here annoyed to the point of vomitus by the film "Two Weeks Notice"? Dagnabbit - it's Two Weeks' Notice. Oh, it makes me mad. Maaad...*arghh* - the war wound... *erghhhh...*
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 29, 2006 07:49      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's contextualise it. Imagine two huge Ellen Degeneres fans were walking down the street, having a discussion about their favourite comedienne's love life. And so one says to the other:

"A woman without her, man, is nothing."

Ellen Degeneres is implied.

I need to get out more.

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 08:30      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What really pisses me off is when you see shops, pubs or restaurants sticking up signs which are obviously misspelt or badly punctuated.

I once saw a pub in Southport which was selling 'Bhurgers' with their chips.

Putting apostrophes in seemingly random places is madness, and not being able to handle using 'too' or 'where' correctly is equally crazy.

Someday, the exclamation mark will be the only remaining piece of punctuation used in the English language. In future, the full stop will become completely Americanised and be used in word form, period. The poor comma will become redundant, since much less breath is required to speak in acronyms. Numbers, on the other hand, will thnk itz gr8 tht thay gt 2b letterz.

capital letters will go by the wayside and the unfortunate question mark will be left to wander alone and ponder the meaning of its own existence but why should we care I mean what purpose does it serve anyway

There will be a Colon Museum, within which students of the ancient computer language HTML will spend hours researching the reason for the AMP in & but by then, alas, all will have been forgotten.

The apostrophe will put up a good fight, though. It will force it'self into a's many places' as' pos'sible before finally giving up the ghos't.

but fear not! the exclamation mark will still be with us!! and its all we need to get through day!!! the world will be a much better place when all we have is the exclamation mark!!!!

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 08:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eleventy one!!!

The irony, Soulshine, is how few people will even understand what you wrote :)

My favourite is the Apostrophe Protection Society (see page 4). I saw a nice example once, before I got a camera: a sign in a shop door window which read "sale's staff wanted".

IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 08:52      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Eleventy one!!!

The irony, Soulshine, is how few people will even understand what you wrote [Smile]

My favourite is the Apostrophe Protection Society (see page 4). I saw a nice example once, before I got a camera: a sign in a shop door window which read "sale's staff wanted".

I might have to submit a few to that website. What a wonderful find [Smile]

OMG, it makes me mad!!1 (Stupid typing like that also annoys me...)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 11:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic, soulshine & uilleann alike.

My pet peeve with punctuation is with the abuse of quotation marks. Too many people put them around words or phrases that do not merit their use.

I mean, really...if you see a truck labelled:
"Fish"

...wouldn't you be a bit worried about what you buy in the store?

Maybe I'm just a facetious git, but quoting phrases that are not quotes generally connotes a double-meaning to me...a sarcastic remark that it isn't quite what it's advertised to be. I had a coworker who did that routinely, and it always blew me away - boxes labelled: "Cat-5".

(Who knows what might be in there...Schrödinger, anyone?)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 11:47      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fish"!

Very ambiguous! It could contain anything...Chairs, cakes... (Although you may notice later at the fish counter if they're trying to flog you Battenburg.)

It's like when you get 'meat' curry - I prefer only eating *named* meat myself.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 12:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by soulshine:
"Fish"!

Very ambiguous! It could contain anything...Chairs, cakes... (Although you may notice later at the fish counter if they're trying to flog you Battenburg.)

ROFLMAO!

Thanks, I needed that. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 14:25      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you will all have seen it before but Bob the Angry Flower and the Apostrophe gets my vote.

So good I have it up on the wall at work - like anyone actually notices it of course.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 15:02      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, this is what people need!

Apostrophes are not random [Smile]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 16:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
soulshine wrote:

Good news! We've removed "meat" curry from the menu. You can now order "Fred" curry!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 18:32      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fred Curry" is too limiting. If it's going to be long pig, that's sufficient labeling for me to order it.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 20:30      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about punctuation and capitalization in this one:

Help your uncle [j|J]ack off his horse.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 20:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fred Curry" is to limiting, what uncle Jack is to ...?
IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 00:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
How about punctuation and capitalization in this one:

Help your uncle [j|J]ack off his horse.

desovietrussian, in his other incarnation, had that very phrase in his .sig, but with a cute background story.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 06:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You guys are all just pussy's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture