homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Car accident

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Car accident
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 15:42      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, -ct- didn't start this thread; I did. A lady rear-ended me when I was stopped in a traffic jam. I had my neck in a brace and was strapped to a spine board and rushed to the hospital. Fortunately, the worse I suffered a strained ligament in my neck and a nasty bump on the back of my head. I am a bit sore in my back but the muscle relaxers help. The car is still drivable but it is obvious that the frame is bent. From what the police report says, it looks like I was pushed about 25 feet. I am just glad no one else was in the car with me.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 26, 2006 16:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch! Glad to hear you are relatively Ok, hopefully nothing creeps up later on to bother you.

They should put airbags on the outside of cars too. [Geek]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 16:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that Crawgator. I'm glad you're not seriously injured, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 16:25      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its glad to hear that you are alive and semi well. Lets hope you dont have more of these.

Note: Nice to know I'm not the only one who though -ct- when I saw this on the RSS feed.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 17:08      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That really sucks. I had a similar thing happen to me when I was stopping/pulling over for dangerously icy conditions on the road. Cars were spinning out and crashing in front of me; I slowed down without a problem and began pulling over, when a huge van going *way* over the speed limit plowed right into me. I was OK but my car was totalled. Phooey on bad drivers. Hope you heal up quickly & well.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 17:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terribly sorry to hear that...though your post took me completely by surprise (I was just /waiting/ for it to be -ct- [Wink] ). Hope you have a speedy recovery!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 18:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add me to the list of people who are glad to hear that you're okay. Anything that hits your car hard enough to move it 25 feet is more than enough to cause serious injury.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 18:36      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. I was glad I was wearing my seat belt and I am also glad I didn't hit my head on the steering wheel. It didn't take much effort for her car to push me that far; she was driving a Ford Expidition and I was driving my Honda Civic. I was at a complete stop for about 10 seconds and then I heard squealing tires. I thought oh boy someone is about to get hit and then I did. I am just glad I was far enough back from the car in front that I did not hit it and had the presence of mind to put my car in park after I got hit and call for help.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 18:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear your ok.

So, did the other driver get out of her car and berate you for failing to get out of her way?

That's what happened to me the time someone ran into my stationary car.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 19:02      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
I thought oh boy someone is about to get hit and then I did.

Wow... that must have been a shock. I'm glad to hear you're okay.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 19:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw man, that sucks. I'm glad you're okay and I hope nothing creeps up further down the pike.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:02      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD

She was actually quite good about it. Her exact words were "Oh my God are you OK? Stay still don't worry I have good insurance." She is a medical student she tried to take my blood pressure but she could not manage it because she was so nervous.

maxi

It was quite a shock. If it is one thing that I am going to take away from this experience it's that I will never be in a hurry in my car again. I will either leave 10-15 minutes earlier or I will just be a little late. I don't want to take a chance of doing this to someone because I was going faster than I should have.

Xan

I am going to be heading to my chiropractor soon for him to take a look at me and start treatment. Hopefully that will minimize the chances I will have problems down the line.

--------------------

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:45      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought for a minute that i posted something and forgot about it...

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 27, 2006 08:50      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
i thought for a minute that i posted something and forgot about it...

[Big Grin] [Smile] [crazy] [thumbsup]
That was a good one -ct-

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 09:15      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey 'Gator. Sorry for your misfortune but glad that it was no worse. (And ditto what Xanth said.)

Take care of your-oil-rig-destined self! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 09:45      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A lady rear-ended me when I was stopped in a traffic jam.

I rear-ended a lady once, but that's a different story.

Good to hear you're ok [Smile]

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 16:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She is a medical student she tried to take my blood pressure but she could not manage it because she was so nervous.

Oh she will learn...

Good thing she was nice about the whole thing.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 09:23      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why women shouldn't drive...lol

Glad you're okay! My good friend's brother died last year from a car accident - slammed by a semi in an intersection. Roads are scary places!

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 16:47      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow crawgator! [Frown] Glad you are OK though. Driving an itty bitty Toyota, SUVs really scare me. Especially the ones being driven by people on the phone.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture