homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My big mouth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My big mouth
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 2 posted July 24, 2006 08:07      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Friday (20060721) I got laid off from my work. Only a small handfull got laid off. Nothing like the lay off's of 2001.

But anyway I think the reason for it was because I was ALWAYS speaking out about the parent company. I was always complaining about how the company that aquierd us in 2001 was destroying our corporate culture. And they did destroy it. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned them by name in a blog that was public (oops) Even linked images (Not from thier website). I don't know if that made a difference or if they even read it. But it did seem kind of fishy that the only people that got laid off are the people that spoke up about all the new policies.

So I am off today with a stack of resumes to hand out. I know my old boss will give me a great reference. She was crying her eyes out when she told me. We have been working together for the better part of 6 years. She agreed with me on everything but didn't speak out like I did.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 10:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the end, as I'm sure you're aware, you're better off finding an employer that doesn't suck, and won't punish you for having an opinion.

Best of luck on the job hunt!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sirius
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 10:44      Profile for Sirius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear the bad news

Generally, speaking negatively about an employer in public tends to be a bad idea even with colleges. Maybe you should have complained through proper channels if there were any.

Still, it shouldn't have been a reason to get fired and if this is how they are going to behave then things will probably only go downhill so you might just be better off.

Good luck finding another job

Posts: 16 | From: Perth | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 10:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
she agreed with me on everything but didn't speak out like I did.

Well I hate to say this but mayhbe she's a bit smarter than you. (If your goal in life is to be employed )

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 24, 2006 12:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, time for a little smile-cracking story. Way back in time (when I was, what, 15 or 16), I was working on summers along with my brother for a family-owned company. The company had grown big and got into some managerial problems. So at some point, a petition circulated within the employees, asking for some changes (union-related, IIRC). My brother signed it, but I didn't - I figured it was a long-standing problem, and I being temporary employee, I was not concerned. (My brother was also temporary, by the way, but he didn't have the same principles). Know what? My brother got laid off (along with others) on some "lack of work" term, but I was kept in. If really there was some lack of work, don't you think they would have laid off all temporary employees, and kept the regular ones? [crazy]

Fast-forward a bit, the company was bought out by another, then went under. Moral: you're better out now than still working for a company that may not stand for long anyway. (And if it survives? Well, by the time you'll know for sure, you'll have another job anyway!)

Good luck finding a better workplace, maybe even with a better pay! (Don't forget to mention in your interviews that you are an employees who involves himself into improving the company; in job-hunting, everything is about wording!)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 9 posted July 24, 2006 16:54      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome to unemployment, i got here last monday

i don't have enough $ in my account to pay bills and rent at the end of the month- and several bills are already overdue
i'm still trying to decide what i need to pay 1st - cable/inet, and/or elec. , which means not enough to pay rent on time and that adds a $100 to the rent - or pay rent but not have enough to keep inet going which will really cut my ability to job search. and elec.? i don't even know how much it's going to be... i'm in deep and i don't have a good way out just yet

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 17:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duh! Sell your broken bike.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 2 posted July 24, 2006 19:15      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's not broken, and it's on craigslist

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 00:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:

i don't have enough $ in my account to pay bills and rent at the end of the month- and several bills are already overdue
i'm still trying to decide what i need to pay 1st - cable/inet, and/or elec. , which means not enough to pay rent on time and that adds a $100 to the rent - or pay rent but not have enough to keep inet going which will really cut my ability to job search. and elec.? i don't even know how much it's going to be... i'm in deep and i don't have a good way out just yet

Um pay your rent duh. I think the three necessities for living are food shelter and clothing. Not Food, clothing, internet. Nowdays most libraries have free internet access for job searches.

And if you really need money. Be a man and whore yourself out. [Wink]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 06:08      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:

I'm unemployed too [Frown] , and have been for a few months now, I have been trying to relocate as there is little I can do in the town I live at the moment.

From one unemployee to another, I would recommend Ashitaka's advice, get your rent paid, I had to cut my phone and internet off for a few months and used public libarys, until I managed to aquire some money, but you really have to do what is necessary until you sort yourself out.

Another good tip is to freeze your food!, I used to buy fresh every other day, and it is a huge expense...

So anyway, best of luck with the job hunt, and I'm sure everything will work out fine...

P.S- Don't set up male gigolo services, It can only lead to bad things... [shake head]

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 10:26      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started a job advice thread here. My approach is somewhat atypical, but other people are posting more conservative advice as well.
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=002478;p=1#000003

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2006 19:24      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I applaud you for speaking up. Employers should listen to their employees rather than sack them. The Western world seems more and more to be full of wienies who won't say a word to protect their bloated lifestyles (yes, presumptuous, but I see it so often).

So you have "I can look at myself in the mirror" rights where your boss doesn't. And you'll find another job, hopefully a better one.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture