homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Compulsory Fun Days (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Compulsory Fun Days
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 14:35      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... We have a compulsory 'fun day' at work next week. I imagine it's to encourage bonding with fellow team members or something like that.

The fact they try to coerce you in to fun says a lot about business nowerdays!

Has anyone else had to put up with this?

Apparently we have to dress as characters from ''Allo 'Allo'. Don't ask why, I have no idea!

I intend to take an onion in, and that's all they're getting out of me.

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 14:43      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankfully, I work in an office where everyone is attempting to maintain a fun atmosphere. Jokes and jabs, rubber band fights, and paper airplane contests abound, but we still get our work done.

Really, it's a necessary mechanism to cope with stress. Without humor on a constant basis, most here would leave the company, as stress levels are usually high.

To be honest, I think a compulsory "fun day" is a great idea, though one probably more suited to environments that have stress similar to what we experience here, but a stricter environment that would deny the continuous funmaking that happens at places like this...

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 14:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on how much you like your job, you could always participate by dressing up as a Nazi, bringing in a water pistol and shooting anyone who's not blond haired and blue eyed.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 14:55            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we make that a super soaker? ;-)

Hm, I am not sure, since a compulsory fun day for me of this nature would probably be more emotionally stressful than work and I'd hide away in the darkest corner before my blood all boils away or I have a nervous breakdown.

Now, if they just said "go play Galaxian" I'd be happy. Woo.

IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 15:02      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spiderman: We have fun too [Smile] What I object to is being forced to have fun, which kind of makes it... Not fun.

I think having a laugh and enjoying yourself can be done perfectly well without it becoming a management initiative. Or at least I'd hope so!

I'll let you know after I've spent a day with an onion on my desk and been subjected to my manager parading round dressed as a french maid. Which is what he should do, as it's his idea [Smile]

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 18:54      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a small bandage on a much larger problem. It treats the effects but does nothing about the root cause.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 23:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
Thankfully, I work in an office where everyone is attempting to maintain a fun atmosphere. Jokes and jabs, rubber band fights, and paper airplane contests abound, but we still get our work done.

We do stuff like that too, for similar reasons you stated. In fact, my lab is a little bit notorious for that. We're also highly productive. Go figure.

At first I thought we were just a funner group of people than any other in the department, but lately I've been realizing that's only part of the story. We're in a competitive field and our boss is pre-tenure. There's lots of ways to let off steam. We do it by acting like monkeys. The thing is, screwing around can only spontaneously happen when everyone gets along and morale is good to start with.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 23:36            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where I used to work, we had a beach ball that used to get volleyballed around quite hard with lots of crashing and shrieking. Drove me up the bend, I can't stand that sort of chaos (and a certain coworker couldn't even chat without shrieking), I'd rather sneak off somewhere and talk nerdy with someone :) Or play Galaxian or Doom.

Niki and Graeme also used to nick Ann's cherry tomatoes and used them as bowls jacks, and the bowls were spare shrink wrap plastic rolled into a ball and cooked until well done in the shrink-wrap machine. Much more civilised :)

But no, I cannot deal with chaotic fun emotionally, or group activity, I need a level of order and private, focused one-to-one interaction. So this fun day of soulshine's would be soul-destroying ;)

(The natural extreme of course is something like chess, but that requires you have anything close to a functioning short-term memory, and I never said it had to be that dull, a laugh is still fine)

IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 10, 2006 23:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a company wants thier employees to relax and get to know one anouther I suggest they provide the beer.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 03:16      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
If a company wants thier employees to relax and get to know one anouther I suggest they provide the beer.

and pancakes. ;-)
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 09:34      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
quote:

and pancakes. ;-)
And hookers [Wink]
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 09:51      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by soulshine:
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
quote:

and pancakes. ;-)
And hookers [Wink]
Only if they provide chippendales too. You don't want any sex-based discrimination complaint.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 10:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
soulshine wrote:
And hookers ;

Stereo wrote:
Only if they provide chippendales too. You don't want any sex-based discrimination complaint.

If you insist...
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 11:10      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooo...the chippendales. I can see their seats.
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 11:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trouble with "fun-days" at work is that they want you have their fun, and not your fun. [ohwell]

Oh... and it is a tacit admission on the part of the management that they know they are failing their employees.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 11, 2006 12:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: [Razz]

P.S.: That's a reason why I love GeekCulture!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 13:34      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
The trouble with "fun-days" at work is that they want you have their fun, and not your fun. [ohwell]

Oh... and it is a tacit admission on the part of the management that they know they are failing their employees.

I'll point that out to them. It'll really piss on their fireworks. That's fun!
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 14, 2006 07:57      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
soulshine....don't piss on the fireworks. The smell is really not for sharing.

Having just read several managment books (don't ask and I wont tell) I can tell you that while they have read the right management books they really haven't understood them. Particularly the parts that say that teamwork, cooperation and synergy take time to develop in teams with low morale.

I find that if you bandaid a low morale situation by implementing "fun days" then it actually becomes worse. Because it is mandated, rather than desired, people go out of their way to make the days "unfun" and you may not have bothered in the first place.

Having said that I currently love the place I work because we have "fun days" simply by all getting along. It's not many workplaces where you actually desire to catch up with collegues outside of work!

So poor you. But please, take some photos of the day and share with us how miserable the day actually was!

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 16:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elvermere, I'm disappointed.. you just used the word 'synergy'. No cookie for you.

[Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 03:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Synergy used to be a word that meant something before people who majored in business started using it. [evil]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 09:32      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Synergy definition:

Business buzzword used by failing corporations to explain away falling profits. Typically gains momentum 6-12 months before large departmental lay-offs. It has been seen in the wild after the arrival of "business consultants."

Also see:

weasel
bankruptcy
embezzlement
Enron

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 06:20      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apologies for the use of the word "synergy". It appears that some people take more offence to that then actual swearing ;-)

Actually I remember a Dilbert cartoon where the staff all went into a meeting to play "buzzword bingo". The PHB starts off with a sentence like "It's time we commenced prioritising our client's needs, utilising the meagre resources at our disposal so that we can break out from our exising paradigm and achieve synergistic cohesion"

Of course one of the staff then had BINGO.

And while there are some good reads in the management books out there, Dilbert still tells it like it is!

--------------------

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 10:49      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elvermere:

And while there are some good reads in the management books out there, Dilbert still tells it like it is!

There is one and only one book worth reading as a management book and that is Sun Tzu's Art of War. *NOT* the managespeak version either, the original (or a good translation to your prefered language). Then using the examples from that, round up all your managers and behead any you catch reading management books and replace them with their assistants.

Management books are either written by people who can't make money as an actual manager, or by successful managers who want to dumb down the potential competition.

Art of War has some handy tips on use of fire too [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 13:59      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
There is one and only one book worth reading as a management book and that is Sun Tzu's Art of War.

Has Miyamoto Musashi's 'Go Rin No Sho' been forgotten so soon?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 06:09      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, a book of five rings. Yes, it's a good book but most people think that it is less applicable to daily life hence "Art of War" gets more eyeballs.

Worth reading though, management issues aside.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture