homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Using less gas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using less gas
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 08:17      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So ...... Here is the plan as of today. I finally talked my ex wife into moving to a larger city (We are moving near each other due to the kids). So we are moving to Minneapolis. She already works in Minneapolis and the appartment complex we found is near her work. Here is the thing. I'm going to cut my coporate leash and get a job in the evening. There are a couple of printing and graphics places within walking distence of that place. They use the printers from the place I work now. I have taken the EU classes and deal with the printers daily so should not have to much of a problem getting a job at one. Maybe I could also maybe grease the wheels by getting some free stuff for them (hehe).

But any who. This would eliminate not only gas by putting everything within walking distence but also eliminate day care with her working days and me working evenings. Then I can take classes when the kids are at pre-school/school. There is a community tech collage also within walking distence. The Skyway system is also only a block away for durring the winter. Loring park, Sculpture gardens, Walker art center and a number of bars are right there also.

But using a lot less gas is the main focus to the whole thing. I know other countrys pay more then what we pay now but I drive so far to work and to day care to get the kids that I am spending a very large chunk of my paycheck on gas right now. Not to mention day care is one of the biggest rip offs of all time. In this state we pay of the highest rates for day care. From what I pay for 2 kids to be in day care I could afford to pay rent on a 3 bedroom appartment plus have some left over.

Now I just need to get new tires for the bike I havn't taken out of storage in about 10 years. And I can get one of thoes little things that hooks to the back like a trailer that you can put your toddler in.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 09:44      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news for you!

And if you want to save some more, I read this morning that smart cars are going to come officially to the US in 2007, along with the new design - and hybrid motor! So you could have another deal with your ex: one of you gets a smart, the other one a regular car, and both can use either, depending on who drives the kids around that time. Wouldn't that be great? [crazy] (Yeah I know. But I really love my smart car! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 09:49      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But my legs get a bajillion miles to the gallon. So does my bike. So thats even less gas then a smart car.

(hehe, I like that word, bajillion)

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 10:02      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
But my legs get a bajillion miles to the gallon. So does my bike. So thats even less gas then a smart car.

(hehe, I like that word, bajillion)

Yep, but I found legs (and bike and bus) aren't that great for shopping. Sometimes a car is needed. Of course, another option is the coop-cars, where there is a pool of a few cars, and members of the coop pays some monthly fee for the privilege of using them as they need.

Bajillion: evolved from gazillion?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 10:08      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
another option is the coop-cars, where there is a pool of a few cars, and members of the coop pays some monthly fee for the privilege of using them as they need.

I heard a story on NPR about the Co-op cars. Minneapolis has a couple of thoes set up with Hybrid cars. I was thinking about looking into it just in case I needed to use one. As long as the monthly fee was low enough.

--------------------

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 12:24      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
That's great news for you!

And if you want to save some more, I read this morning that smart cars are going to come officially to the US in 2007, along with the new design - and hybrid motor! So you could have another deal with your ex: one of you gets a smart, the other one a regular car, and both can use either, depending on who drives the kids around that time. Wouldn't that be great? [crazy] (Yeah I know. But I really love my smart car! [Big Grin] )

I've actually seen a couple of them on display here in Reno so it might be sooner than you'd think. Cute little things, but where will the penis compensation go?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 13:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:

I've actually seen a couple of them on display here in Reno so it might be sooner than you'd think. Cute little things, but where will the penis compensation go? [/QUOTE]

I know a company modify them to US emissions standards, so yes, some are available. But it's not officially distributed there yet.

And smart cars are best for people who have nothing to prove or compensate for. Driving a smart actually tells: "I'm smart, I'm eco-conscious, I feel good, I like to have some good-hearted fun, and I love life!" [Cool]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 13:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alfrin wrote:
Cute little things, but where will the penis compensation go?

Into computer hardware comparisions, of course. My GPU is faster than yours, etc, ad nauseum

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 16:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
Cute little things, but where will the penis compensation go?

Penis compensation? Real Geeks don't need no stinkin' penis compensation.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 17:10      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta hand it to you, Mac D,

This is one helluva good post here. And one good freakin' geekin' good topic for any geek.

Walker Art Museum, nearby, too? Ouch! that is just too cool. I'd almost be jealous, but I've spend enough time in the Little Apple to know it snows every month but August there. I think Comedy Central gets all their writers from there, too. At least all the ones I know.

But I digress.

I get 50 MPG-B (Miles Per Gallon of Brewskis) on my commuter scooter-- a Trek 720 hybrid. Panniers hold a 12-pack apiece and I've gotten four cases on the luggage rack. On the way to the office, it holds my iBook.

Commuting burns a whole gallon of beer each week, and that doesn't include grocery shopping.

Congrats to you.

And my fellow geeks, I think we can do better than "Smart", I'm lookin' for freakin' geekin' genious here. What better can we do?

And what better incentive than to put George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and their friends at the Osama Bin Laden Memorial Oil Cartel out of business?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2006 07:34      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That and I've always wanted to live in a bigger city. Sioux Falls just was not doing it for me.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture