homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Guess who has narcolepsy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guess who has narcolepsy?
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 00:16      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me!

At least I get to keep my driver's license... I just really drowsy at certain times of the day; usually a short (15-20 minute nap) will help with this.

I would constantly sleep through all my classes in highschool and get in loads of trouble for it, I wish I would have been diagnosed earlier... then maybe I could have gotten the grades my parents wanted me to get.

But whatever, now that I know what the problem is, I can fix it. I'm wary about medication (amphetamines), because I just don't like taking pills... I shy away even from Ibuprophen. But if it helps... I guess I should use it.

Does anybody else here have narcolepsy? I'd like to talk to someone who did if they'd be willing, just to see what kind of strategies they've come up with to cope.

Anyways... responses would be appreciated.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 18:33      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have sleeping issues.... but only during my numerical methods lectures.

Seriously though,

If the medications will help you, I would suggest taking them. If you're still leary (spelling?) about taking them, may I suggest that you don't take them all of the time, just when you need to.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2006 07:18      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never formaly diagnosed (the doctor hooked me up because he knew i was trying to join the Corps and it wasn't that bad) but I have fits occasionally that pretty much force me to have to put my head down even for just a few minutes.

I had the same problem in school where I would constantly sleep through pretty much all of my classes but I did okay because as with most public educational institues, the teachers were forced to cover the same thing for about a week until everyone understood.

Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2006 14:40      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this an official diagnosis? I've heard that hypoglycemia causes similar drowsiness problems. If so, you could avoid the meds and just have few small snacks over the course of the day to help. Just a guess, and some wishful thinking on your behalf.
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2006 19:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Psych prof in college showed us this video clip a few years ago: http://www.devilducky.com/media/8232/

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2006 01:38      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
Is this an official diagnosis? I've heard that hypoglycemia causes similar drowsiness problems. If so, you could avoid the meds and just have few small snacks over the course of the day to help. Just a guess, and some wishful thinking on your behalf.

Maybe I should look into this. I have alwasy had a problem with being veeeery drowsy during the day, but when I got home I was awake again.
Man, my whole freshman year I remember my friends asking how I was. "Damn tired" was always my response.
I was drinking at least two cups of coffee a day.
I did notice at the end of freshman year that after I ate a pack of gummy fruit snacks I felt suprisingly awake.
I slept during my classes this year, mostly the ones before lunch.... actually I sometimes slept at lunch as well. I don't have any grade problems, though.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2006 16:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:

Maybe I should look into this. I have alwasy had a problem with being veeeery drowsy during the day, but when I got home I was awake again.
Man, my whole freshman year I remember my friends asking how I was. "Damn tired" was always my response.
I was drinking at least two cups of coffee a day.
I did notice at the end of freshman year that after I ate a pack of gummy fruit snacks I felt suprisingly awake.
I slept during my classes this year, mostly the ones before lunch.... actually I sometimes slept at lunch as well. I don't have any grade problems, though.

I have very much the same thing, but I'm pretty sure it's more to do with my natural body's clock.. if I don't have work/school, then my normal sleeping schedule adjusts itself back to the same thing every time.. asleep at ~4am and back up at ~noon. I do my best thinking & coding between 8pm and 4am. Always have.

With a 4 year old, it's not exactly feasible, but if I am successful at some point in my life in making my full-time job be working for myself, I will probably go back to a work schedule like that one...

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2006 16:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a tendency to nod off during departmental seminars if the subect matter isn't right up my alley or the speaker isn't fscking fantastic. The talks are supposed to be an hour but sometimes the speaker just won't shut up. It's kind of rude really, for me to nod off like that (and for them to go over their time) but honestly, some of the people that come through are such boring speakers not even amphetamines will keep you awake through their talk. Oddly enough, it's the boring guys who usually go overtime as well. Pisses me off because I have experiments to tend, as does just about everyone else in the room.

The other thing that sends me up the wall is long, over-winded introductions. "This is my friend from when I was a post-doc and now I'm going to ramble on about something that was only funny if you were there watching..." I wish I could just throw something at the seminar host when that happens. Instead I just go to sleep early.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2006 17:54      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my best friends has narcolepsy. There are a number of different drugs out there. And what works best is really personal. So if what you try at first doesn't work, go back to your doctor and talk to him.

I will ask SS about what resources she likes on the subject and if she has had any problems on any of her medications. The great thing is that there is stuff out there now to work with.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture