homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Manly Footwear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Manly Footwear
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 03:26      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My feet kill shoes. I can seldom find a shoe that will last more than six months. However well I look after them my sweaty feet rot the leather or make trainers disgusting in no time, and finding a comfortable pair is even more difficult. However I think now I have finally found some reasonable answers that see me through the year.

In the winter the most comfortable, and most hard wearing, reasonably priced boots I have found are Australian sheep drovers boots, of which Blundstone are the best known make and the only ones found easily outside Australia. I think they are quite stylish in a funky way. In the winter of 2000 I bought two pairs, and the second pair is only going to last another few months. The only disadvantage to them is that they do need wearing in for quite a while before they become really comfortable.

Summer is normally much more difficult, and usually I just buy lots of cheap sneakers, but this year I discovered Crocs! Let joy be unconfined! They really do work as advertised, and are the most comfortable summer shoe I have come across. It's only a shame that they are (IMO) so ugly. For extra geek points wear them with socks.

PS This is irrelelvant, but what the hell, I'll hijack my own thread! I titled this "Manly Footwear" because it was the pseudonym adopted by B J Cole the pedal steel player, when performing with a C & W parody artiste called Hank Wangford, who in his day job masqueraded as a gynaecologist called Sam Hutt. I often went to see his band in North London pubs, when I lived up there. They were one of the best and most entertaining live acts I have ever seen.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 03:42      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've worn the same pair of Combat boots everyday for the last 2 years.

My boots have 6 monts in a combat zone.

I love my boots.

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 03:57      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it really is just that you have nasty manky feet with leather-eating sweat, then a solution may be to buy more shoes.

If you have 2 or 3 pairs, and wear them in rotation, then it gives the unworn pair a chance to dry out, and recover. I used to have really stinky feet, but since adopting this as my guide, I only have averagely stinky feet. YMMV.

Also, try some DM's, if you have not already. The proper boots live forever (I have a pair 12 years old). They also do many other styles, and the pope has a pair.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 04:29      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My feet kill shoes, too, despite being distinctly unmanly. I have funny shaped toes, which like making me bloody uncomfortable. Accordingly, I have never worn a pair of heels in my life.

In fact, I pretty much live in Converse. They're comfortable, breathable and work in summer or in (mild) winters. So far I have worked my way through a neon pink pair, a grey pair with pink trim, a pale pink pair and a dark red pair. No matter what colour they are, they seem to go with everything. Only downside is that they are not exactly formal shoes, so you can't wear them if you have, y'know, a job, or something crazy like that [Razz] . Plus, they wear out quite quickly (9 months-ish, for me) ... but since they're so cheap, it's not such a big deal.

Next up - apple green or kingfisher blue?

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 05:34      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a club foot and as a result I can destroy shoes and even boots quite quickly if I do not choose them wisely.

My solution is to buy cheap ones from places such as Shoe Zone as in my experience I can deform good quality (and thus more expensive) ones into an unwearable state just as quickly as the cheap ones... Why buy 100 Timberlands when they will not last any longer than a 15 pair? (or be any more comfortable)

I'm not proffering this as a good solution for anyone else - in fact I am sure for most people a good quality pair of boots/shoes would far outlast a cheap Shoe Zone pair and probably be more comfortable too! However as I can wreck them in 6-9 months regardless of make and as the cheap ones can usually last that long I might as well save my money (for RAM and iPods and iBooks and... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 08:19      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finding the proper fitting boot/show is harder than finding the proper woman for me.

(Though the later is looking like's it changed over the past few days. She amazes me everytime I see her. I can't stop thinkging about her. I miss the way she smells and I've never been with a woman who is so beautiful when she wakes up with a smile from the bottom of her heart)

Back OT:
Being in the military and taking our footware as seriously as we do, it is not uncommon for us to take hours, days and sometimes multiple special orders from multiple manufactures till we find a boot that fits properly. But because of this, we have boots that we can depend our lives on.

It isn't uncommon for us to get days off work to go to cash sales to go boot shopping.

Finding a boot that allows for endless wear, multiple changes, multiple layers of socks and thickness of socks, fast drying, light weight, and proper support will do many things for you:
First it will keep your feet smelling a hell of a lot better than you would expect. Second, it allows for long lasting dependable footwear, and finially it allows for comfort.

Take your time, purchase footwear for occassion. Work boots, house slippers, chucks, running shoes (which should be replaced every thousand miles and 3 monts [whichever comes first]), gym shoes/court shoes (very different from running shoes), casual dress, etc...

Also, always change your socks. Multiple times a day. Everytime you change shoes change socks, never sleep with them on, always wash your feet and let them air out as often as possible. Powder as little as possible.

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 08:26      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Birkenstocks. I live in them. Cost a pretty penny, but my bad feet never bother me.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 08:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lucky. I'm one of those guys that goes to Walmart when his shoes start to fal apart, and buys another pair of them. Usually about $30 for a black pair of dressy-type shoes that I wear pretty much all time unless I'm in my sandals, which I also pay about $30 for. I usually spend about $60/year on shoes, and forget about it. My feet behave themselves. I never walk long distances, because if it's a long distance, and I'm not taking the car, I rollerblade.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 08:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Rockports...very comfortable, and long lasting.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 08:49      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit, I think those Croc shoes look pretty bad. I first saw them in a shop here. I looked at them, laughed and remarked to my friend, "These shoes are going to be very popular, aren't they?"

Oh well, if they work then they work.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 10:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will second a comfy pair of Docs. I have owned only a handful in the last 15 years. A couple I grew out of, but mainly the stitching would rot away long before they became uncomfortable. My current pair are 8 hole steel toes, I bought for work. 7 years and 4 jobs later, they are still my regular footwear. Though it is getting time to replace them too.

And I have the same issues with footwear myself. But oddly enough, I found that the more uncomfortable a shoe is, the worse my feet get.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 17:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of Rossi footwear. They're a bushwalking/industrial boot company, but they also make some styles that don't make you look like an explorer or construction worker.

I took a pair of Rossis with me when I went on the Big World Trip, 3 years, 4 continents, climbing mountains, wading through swamps, you name it, they survived it, and still looked respectable enough to wear to work at the bank.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 14:10      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
If it really is just that you have nasty manky feet with leather-eating sweat, then a solution may be to buy more shoes.

If you have 2 or 3 pairs, and wear them in rotation, then it gives the unworn pair a chance to dry out, and recover. I

I agree. Why do you think women have so many shoes?...they ROTATE!
Honestly... does anyone here know a girl who has gotten rid of a pair of shoes in her lifetime?
I'll admit when I was younger I would wear leather slides in THE SUMMER, so those would have to go because of the smell. They were always about ten bucks, though, so it wasn't a big deal.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 14:14      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
I've worn the same pair of Combat boots everyday for the last 2 years.

REMF [Razz]
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2006 15:02      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Docs all the way... however... i have not been able to afford a pair as of then end of my last pair... I should mention that I can only get them in one place here... Aldo/Feet First has stopped carrying them. Seeing as I needed shoes i bought a pair of their house brand... http://members.shaw.ca/syikey/Ph0n3p1x/shoepic.jpg

I have had them over 7 months now... that's a first for me and Aldo shoes.

I will be buying my Docs soon I prefer them, they are more comfortable.. They also seem to be tthe only shoe that lasts more than 3 months for me... I have been wearing Docs for 15 years and I have never looked back. best damn shoe ever.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture