homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » so i guess i'm going to go kill myself now...... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: so i guess i'm going to go kill myself now......
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 11 posted June 24, 2006 23:30      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, not deliberatly anyway

i just bought this earlier today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4653810993

-

[Cool]

been looking for a bike for the last 5-6 weeks now, and everything on ebay just keeps going for 7-800 more than KBB values - i blame stupid ebayers, and there's almost literally nothing under 2k at any dealer around here unless it's a 800 completely dead bike
apparently it's the wrong time to be buying?
talked to him the day before yesterday and went n had a look at it yesterday and offered 1100 if he'd end the auction, paid this morning and he signed over the title.
now i just need to find someone who has a truck to help me get it home - since there's no plate and it's not reg'ed or insured yet
and, i have no idea how to ride the damn thing [Embarrassed] yes, i signed for a class - next sat/sun
gets me certified and lower ins. rates
carbs need to be cleaned out, shouldn't be too difficult, and the tach is busted (big deal)
other than that, it's in pretty good shape

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 00:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Have fun with that, ct! You do realize, though, that if you thought you were vulnerable in your automobiles, you're DEFINITELY vulnerable on that machine? Just make sure you're wearing a decent helmet, please!!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 02:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Han-Solo>I've got a bad feeling about this....</Han-Solo>

quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
been looking for a bike for the last 5-6 weeks now, and everything on ebay just keeps going for 7-800 more than KBB values

A motorcycling friend of mine tells me the best way to get a cheap bike is to monitor the obituaries for people killed in motorcycling accidents, and approach their families 2-3 weeks later. The bikes are often in quite good condition, and the families will usually accept just about any offer to be rid of the fscking thing.

btw - I second Rhonnies advice about a good helmet - did you catch the article in the news last week about the huge increase in motorcyclist deaths in Florida since they repealed the compulsory helmet law?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 08:27      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep - got a helmet

bought it in 1991 an never used it, lol
it's taken me that long to actually get a bike

with the problems cars have given me, maybe i'm using too many wheels?

anyway, my car has 15,000 miles on it and i've only had it since december - time to park it for a while

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 08:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be morbid and greedy, but would you mind signing a few forms that make me the beneficiary of a rather large life insurance policy? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 12:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-ct-__________________________As a long time road warrior, I advise you to get a dirt bike and do a lot of dirt riding, it will improve your road skills and if things go to hell you will not be afraid to go off the road, and it is usually safer in the dirt. I usually advise against those Jap bikes as the handling is not up Europian and or American standards. In Japan it is against the law to fit a nonstandard tire on a motorcycle as it will change the handling and braking of said bike.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 15:46      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
-ct-__________________________As a long time road warrior, I advise you to get a dirt bike and do a lot of dirt riding, it will improve your road skills and if things go to hell you will not be afraid to go off the road, and it is usually safer in the dirt. I usually advise against those Jap bikes as the handling is not up Europian and or American standards. In Japan it is against the law to fit a nonstandard tire on a motorcycle as it will change the handling and braking of said bike.

if i had the extra $ to do that, i might - and if there were anywhere in SFL to do that

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 16:17      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For your own sake get some good leathers...

Sooner or later you will meet the road... and only good leathers will save you from seriously bad messing up!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 16:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

if i had the extra $ to do that, i might - and if there were anywhere in SFL to do that
If you're complaining about money again, how the fsck did you buy a motorcycle, hmm? Stick with your car...you're better protected against instant death.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2006 19:38      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
If you're complaining about money again, how the fsck did you buy a motorcycle, hmm? Stick with your car...you're better protected against instant death.

who says i'm complaining about it right now?
i just don't see me spending the $ for it, when there's virtually nowhere in SFL to ride offroad except in a swamp

--------------------

Panda
Newbie Larva
Member # 5110

Icon 10 posted June 26, 2006 12:20      Profile for Panda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A motorcycling friend of mine tells me the best way to get a cheap bike is to monitor the obituaries for people killed in motorcycling accidents, and approach their families 2-3 weeks later. The bikes are often in quite good condition, and the families will usually accept just about any offer to be rid of the fscking thing.
I almost died laughing. XD

--------------------
14 year old geek
Found this site through the Joy of Tech comics. :D

Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 14:50      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!

That should be a fun bike to learn on! I've taken the MSF safety course twice (Once for real, once for moral support/refresher with the Mrs.) and applaud your choice to do that. Once you get through the first course, many cities offer a second course for after you've ridden your bike for 6 months or so. It includes more drills on obstacle avoidance (even jumping small log-size things), etc.

Another option aside from leathers would be a synthetic jacket with some armoring. Corazzo makes some nice urban styles if you're not into the whole black on black on black look. I've wanted one of their jackets for a while.

My only advice after riding for 6 years with no accidents is to ride defensively. If you expect the others on the road to not see you and do stupid crap, then you can position yourself accordingly. You certainly can't daydream while riding, but a day on two wheels is almost always better than a day on four.

Enjoy!

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2006 17:09      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh,

I remember a time when sex was safe and motorcycling was dangerous.

-ct-, within your first six months of riding, it is not a question of "if" but "when" you and that bike will hit the road. So be prepared for it.

I took a chip out of the ball of my foot; fortunately I had a good pair of bike boots on when it happened. Took a chunk out of my jacket, too. Glad it was the jacket and not my arm. Up one moment, down the next.

I've put on a million miles on this iron butt since. Had a few scrapes. Mo-Man is right about the dirt bike thing. It saved me bicycle racing and on the iron horse. On the horse, I was going about 70 on westbound 80 in Illinois. It was March, cold, raining and one devil of a crosswind was going on. I was fully packed, and when the wash of the truck and the crosswind got ahold of me, it sent me sideways. If dirt-bike riding hadn't taught me about overcompensating, I'd be a spot on that trucker's tires.

Your wits are what save you on a bike. That class is what helps you get a set of them. Once you get the class taken care of, get yourself the best protective gear, find a lonely road and practice emergency stops 'til you puke. I do this every spring, and will as long as I ride.

Good luck.

Too bad about having to burn all that rice, though. [Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2006 12:07      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But a bike does save money. Have you seen gas prices as of late? Bikes get awsome milage.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2006 12:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*takes out insurance policy on -ct-*
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 17:05      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so yeah, took the MSF course this weekend and passed [Smile]

so far as the state of FL says, i'm pretty good in a parking lot [Wink]

now, off to go create mayhem on teh streetz!lolz

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2006 18:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*increases coverage*
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2006 17:50      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Mad] [Mad]

got it insured yesterday ($261), spend lot of time getting it registered and a plate today ($91), get it fired up, get my gear on, get ONE MILE down the road, and the fucker dies on me

try to start it up and i can hear the starter motor slowly grinding

battery died. [Mad]

had to push it - 600 lbs - just over a mile, uphill, to park it
of course, i'm sweating hard as if i'm under a shower head
and of course, it makes me 45 min late for work [Mad]

gonna cost me at least $40 for a battery now, and i can't ride it until then [Frown]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2006 20:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNM: when you get rich, can I borrow a couple of hundred dollars till pay day?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2006 21:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why the fsck are you complaining about it here, hmm? Surely you must recognize that we don't give a damn about your vehicular troubles, and think you should stay far away from anything with an internal combustion engine in it. Scratch that, I wouldn't trust you with an electric car, nor a Segway...nor a skateboard for that matter!

Walk to work...it'll help burn up some of your aggression, and keep you and the rest of your general area a lot safer.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 08:42      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry about the leathers too much, but definitely wear a helmet. Tossing body parts into a bucket isn't too hard, but scraping brains off asphalt would be a royal pain in der arsch. Just think of the poor fellow who'll have to clean up the whole mess [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 09:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun -ct-,

The joys of buying a used bike. [evil]

Common stuff actually. And it seems like it only happens about 3 weeks after you pick it up from someone else.

As far as safety gear goes. I wish I lived in an opt-out state. So IMNSHO go with what feels comfortable. If you ride san-skullbucket, be mindful. And keep one thought in your head. "They are all my enemies, and wish for my death" paranoid perhaps. But it has saved my ass many times.

And above all else, enjoy it.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 10:51      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[Mad] [Mad]

got it insured yesterday ($261), spend lot of time getting it registered and a plate today ($91), get it fired up, get my gear on, get ONE MILE down the road, and the fucker dies on me

try to start it up and i can hear the starter motor slowly grinding

battery died. [Mad]

had to push it - 600 lbs - just over a mile, uphill, to park it
of course, i'm sweating hard as if i'm under a shower head
and of course, it makes me 45 min late for work [Mad]

gonna cost me at least $40 for a battery now, and i can't ride it until then [Frown]

/me sextuples coverage

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 11:49      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
I wouldn't worry about the leathers too much, but definitely wear a helmet.

Z,

The thought of surviving an unprotected slide down the tarmac is why a lot of bikers don't wear helmets -- they'd rather die.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 11:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it makes you feel better, the clutch in my car went out days after I bought, insured, and registered it. Fixing the clutch cost about as much as the car, and I had to pay for a tow. But I haven't had a break-down since (which is probably a miracle).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture