homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Towed!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Towed!
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2006 04:54      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to get someone towed today!
I went to my apartment in Vienna, which also has a parking lot in a garage. To allow more people to park, each lot has some kind of lifting ramp so two cars can park in the same horizontal area.
Access to the lot is blocked by a door, which can only be opened if you have the key.
So, anyways. I invited a friend (who came by car) to come visit me to check out the guitar he was considering to buy. I opened the garage door (not having opened it since a looong time) to show him where he can park, and some fucker stood there with his green VW Golf.
Luckily, my friend could find a parking spot on the street.

I had the guy towed in the end, I mean - we /purchased/ the parking lot when we bought the apartment - so it is private property. After an hour or two (because the entrance is very narrow) the car was towed. *hehe*
I figure it must be the woman who owns the apartment one floor up - because she has the key to open this side of the garage and she has the key to operate the lifting ramp..

Anyways, just needing to vent. In case your car got towed in Vienna just now, and it was a "Europcar" rental car - sorry [Smile] but don't park where you shouldn't.

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2006 07:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignorance like that deserves to be towed.

Just like all those assbags that park across two spots, or park in handicapped spaces and do not have permission to do so.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 13, 2006 18:52      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
... assbags ...

Maybe I'm just in a funny mood, but dude, I have a new favorite word now!

Do you have a word for the idiots that park over four spaces?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 11 posted June 13, 2006 19:31      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ct, what were you doing in Vienna?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2006 20:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I had never heard of those ramp things until Tom mentioned it, then lo-and-behold, an ad for a ramp system appeared in a set I was proofing for another team. Weird concept, that. What if something gives way and the platform drops onto the car beneath? And what if you wanted to drive the top car to work 'cause you couldn't find the keys for the lower car? You'd be screwed, aye?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2006 23:19      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So where, exactly, is that woman supposed to park ?
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2006 23:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the street, like his friend ended up doing.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 03:42      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian, ct?
Uhm, CT didn't respond to this thread and I am not ct. If you have confused us - I actually was born+raised+live in Vienna.

The parking system actually works like this:
The enitre ramp actually lowers into the ground as a whole, so they do not collapse and crush any car parked below. You can raise/lower the ramp with a key. The ramp has two floors (upper and lower) and two sides (left/right). Should the system fail, nothing collapses - in the worst case the entire ramp just lowers.

Since you need a key or a remote to open the left garage door in the first place there are only two possibilities for who has access to the two parking spaces:
Me - I have the upper spot- or the woman who owns the apartment above me - who has the lower spot.
Since I called my father to check that he didn't rent a car and park it without telling me, it could only be the woman...
Either way, she deserved it, she's a bitch anyway.. I would have loved to see her stupid look though.
Most likely she had a guest and told him to park on my spot. She was maybe tempted to say so because our lot hasn't been used within quite a while because my sister was not here (who uses the apartment when she is here) and I just recently got my driving license. This guy/person should have parked on the street, but not my spot.

I can somewhat understand people that drive a huge car that park in one lot and render the adjacent lot unusable because the car is too big.
I cannot understand people that drive a sportscar or any other small car and just park across two spaces because they are too lazy to park properly (or too stupid)..

I added a photo of the car being towed for your amusement.
Enjoy!

Thomas

-

--------------------

canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 05:03      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom,

That ramp sounds pretty interesting - I've never seen anything quite like what you've described.... any chance you could take a picture of the system?

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 10:24      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
canadiangeek,

I won't be there until Friday, but if you can wait until around Saturday - yes I can give you photos.
I only found a german website from the manufacturer. Even though you won't be able to read a lot, the figures and drawings speak for themselves: here is the link to the system I have:

http://www.woehr.de/brd/produkte/parklift/440.htm

here is a photo from the manufacturer's website. It get's pretty similar to ours, except that our parking system is right behind a very narrow garage door:
http://www.woehr.de/brd/produkte/parklift/440_photo.htm

enjoy!

Thomas

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 10:36      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
zesovietrussian, ct?
Uhm, CT didn't respond to this thread and I am not ct. If you have confused us - I actually was born+raised+live in Vienna.

I think it was a joke, Tom. Y'know - ct always has bad luck with cars, you had a car towed... stands to reason that it was ct's car. In fact, I can think of no other explaination.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 10:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some videos of the technology can be found here:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/search?p=parklift&x=0&y=0

I'm not sure which models most closely emulate the design, though. Some models have a lower level, whereas others do not...and some have the ability to slide from side to side. I've been kind of curious about this tech for awhile, but never read up on it...I know we have some of it in NY.

Aside: This is the first time I've really given Yahoo! Video search a try - and it works well! Before, I thought it was kind of lame...now I understand that it actually finds videos from all across the Internet. So far, no one's uploaded a video of a 'parklift' to either Google Video or YouTube.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 11:05      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
quote:
zesovietrussian, ct?

I think it was a joke, Tom. Y'know - ct always has bad luck with cars, you had a car towed... stands to reason that it was ct's car. In fact, I can think of no other explaination.
Even if it wasn't legally ct's car, it was certainly his car in a cosmic sense. ct is embodiment of all bad things that happen to cars. Like when you are driving and all of a sudden your tire falls off, that would be the spirit of ct.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 12:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can somewhat understand people that drive a huge car that park in one lot and render the adjacent lot unusable because the car is too big.

I can't. If you drive a vehicle, I expect you drive it according to the rules and laws of the road. If you choose not to, you're an assgremlin.

(New word, UM?)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 14:35            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what other spirits we have here ... I think it's safe to say I'm the spirit of software bugs (woo my Guru Meditation shirt arrived today). Who else is a spirit of something?

(I wonder who gets to be the spirit of Christmas presents)

IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 15:51      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
(I wonder who gets to be the spirit of Christmas presents)

Jace. He's a Marine and they do Toys for Tots.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 16:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this part of the Marines' indoctrination process? ;-)
IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 16:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think they just do it to be nice. People buy the toys, hand them over to the Marines, and then the Marines play Santa.

I'm either the spirit of crashing or the spirit of "this could only happen to you". I haven't decided yet.

I've seen those double-decker parking things before. Definitely in Europe and South America and maybe in NYC as well.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 02:32      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely have seen similar parking systems in NYC. The ones I have seen do not lower as a whole though. You drive a car onto the ramp, it goes up and you have another parking lot below the now "airborne" car.

Thomas

--------------------

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 15, 2006 08:01      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll reserve the "spirit of the good things that just happen to pass by". I don't catch them all, but the best opportunities that turned my life for the better were totally unexpected. (WWDC 2000: I got a "scholarship" from Apple, and ended up paying close to nothing, graduate studies: docs handed out by my boss, condo: perfect location, some very cool graphic novels, and so many more little things.)

So if you suddenly find out the perfect gift/very cool opportunity, it's all thank to me! [Big Grin]

(Now, who is the spirit of the perfect boyfriend? I'd have a favor to ask... [Wink] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture