homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Day Of The Beast.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Day Of The Beast.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 01:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todays the 6/6/6 here in oz, and it's been The Day Of The Beast.

For a start, it's flu season here, and I've been coughing and spluttering and producing vast quantities of substances best left undescribed.

Then I turned on my PC, and was greeted by a very loud grinding noise, which further examination revealed to be the death-throes of the fan on my video card. So rugging up against the Melbourne winter, I headed out to get a new video card, which I installed, then installed the drivers, and re-booted.

Windows came up, with the video card registered as a generic VGA at 800x600. Checked the drivers, error messages from here to Norway and back. re-installed the drivers, the installation seemed to go fine, re-booted, driver errors all over the place. After about an hour of stuffing about, I gave up and trekked back down the road to the computer shop, told the guy my tale of woe, he swapped the card for another model, which I took home and installed.

This time the drivers installed ok, and Windows recognised the card. Foolishly, I decided to install the utilities that came with the card... errors all over the place, BSOD, then the PC won't even start with the utilities in place. Windows was so confused it took me over half an hour to uninstall the utilities, fix all the damage they'd done and install just the drivers with no fscking utilities.

No sooner had I got the PC back in a working state than Mrs Druid returned from her visit to the public library, and told me a DVD we'd borrowed a couple of weeks ago is showing as overdue, even though she'd given it to me to return a few days ago. I remember it quite clearly, she gave me the DVD and asked me to return it while I was at the shops, so I dropped it into the local DVD library, when I should have dropped it in to the Public Library !

So, I rug up again and go to the DVD library, and of course they know nothing about it, and have no record of receiving a DVD that doesn't belong to them. So now it looks like we're going to have to pay for 'losing' a DVD.

So, that's my day, has anyone else had a Day Of The Beast ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 02:50      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, never heard of "day of the beast" over here in England?

Funny you have just changed your video card like that, pretty much, exactly the same thing happened to me about a week ago, just not as much trouble installing it [Razz]

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 05:22      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've been extra busy fighting the forces of evil, but so far I'm on top of it.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 06:01      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call a priest. Your PC is posessed, which reminds me to watch Reposessed tonight.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 07:37      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning at 7:30am:

WeirdArms: Has the world ended?
Me: It doesn't look like it.
WeirdArms: Cuddles?

The only thing that seems to have gone wrong today is the upgrade of Ubuntu to Dapper Drake. Seems like the driver for our wireless card is kaput in the new version.

I wish it would stop raining. We've been taking vitamin C every day to stave off the evil lurgy-- has worked so far, knock on wood.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 11:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A roomie of mine, one of the nicest, most straight-edge chicks I know, suddenly decided she really wanted to get stoned after a bunch of drinks on a Monday night, right past midnight. Guess somebody got posessed [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 11:55      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my Dashboard crashed and I keep getting error messages about a shared library when I try to open Appleworks or Graphic converter, and if I try to use any of the bookmarks on my bookmark bar Safari crashes.

On the other hand, my daughter took a two hour nap today, which is about 90 minutes longer than her naps have been for the last week. [Smile]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 12:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The printer crashed again. We think it's posessed.

I got it up and running again. Apparently I am also posessed.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 12:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only oddity I've dealt with thus far today would be us having to actually wake rowan up at 7:15 this morning as opposed to the usual him having been awake for many hours by the time we get to him.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 13:25      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing new over on this front. Just spending yet another day indulging in sloth, wrath, lust, gluttony, and the rest. [evil]
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 06, 2006 14:56      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun fact for the day:

-[sin(666) + cos(6*6*6)] (in degrees)= 1.61803399

the golden ratio = 1.61803399

Normally I would dismiss such coincidences as hogwash, but to be accurate up to eight decimal places is pretty weird.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 15:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
Fun fact for the day:

-[sin(666) + cos(6*6*6)] (in degrees)= 1.61803399

the golden ratio = 1.61803399

Normally I would dismiss such coincidences as hogwash, but to be accurate up to eight decimal places is pretty weird.

It's not just to 8 decimal places, it's damn near exact, at least as far as Windoze calculator is concerned. I may need to work out the trigonometry of this, but I suspect it IS exact.

Golden ratio = (1+sqrt(5))/2

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 17:23      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Man. To celebrate it being 6/6/06, I drove around town with my roommate, windows down, Slayer thundering out the windows.

Besides getting lots of disapproving looks from old people on the sidewalk, WE MADE A SMALL CHILD CRY WITH THE SHEER MIGHT OF METAL. I'm not even exaggerating. It was the stuff of legends.

How'd everyone else celebrate? [devil wand]

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 17:56      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A much younger sister turned 40 today. She was born on 6/6/66 so she got it both ways, I suppose.

Lady in the office known as "Devil Girl" (All due regards to Mr. Crumb, may you keep on truckin') had a birthday. She sacrificed a goat and brought her band of flying monkeys to work. I gave her a new Glade Plug-in scent, "Fire and Brimstone."

Client had a child today. No it is not named Damien.

Righty congressman in the building was not in because of a "religious holiday." Figures.

Little old lady got mutilated late last night.

And George W. Bush made a speech today saying that in spite of all the world's problems, the most important thing he can talk about is hating queers.

Any body ever imagine the world would end any better?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 18:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:

I got an experiment to work. The apocalypse is now upon us. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 18:14      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:

We had a quiet evening eating pizza & watching Carnivale season 2 [Wink] Go, Brother Justin!

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 22:23      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I washed dishes for eight hours.

You know what the weirdest thing about this whole day is? There are no parties tonight. In Missoula, Montana, there's a party every night. Except tonight.

Weeeeird.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 01:15      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 01:17      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bored out of my skull all day, I wish somthing had of happened, maybe then I would have had somthing to do. [shake head]
And I think I am going to be driven crazy by all of these flies here, Im sure that sombody/thing summoned this enormas swarm of flies upon me.

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 11:28      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The grammar fairy.

*edit: do not post when drunk at 14:28 on a Friday afternoon, you'll end up sticking your buisness in something dead*

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture