homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Precious has arrived

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Precious has arrived
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 18:13      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So WeirdArms' last laptop (IBM Thinkpad, can't remember which model) finally died, and he has been impressed enough with OS X Tiger on my Mac Mini to get a lovely 15" MacBook Pro. It just arrived yesterday.

I have not been allowed to touch it yet [Wink]

Yet another has been won over to the Apple Posse.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 18:18      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya! The FedEx man blessed me with a 15" MacBook Pro last friday and I haven't been able to stop playing World of Warcraft on it.

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 179 | From: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 23, 2006 19:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sweet!

mag valour Weirdarms! post hot pics! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 19:18      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARJ: congratulations. I know how you feel now, I had the excitement last month. [Wink]

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 20:59      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ebayed my 12" Powerbook, trying to decide between a Macbook and a Thinkpad z61t. Decisions, decisions...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 06:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinkpad!

It's a hard decision, I know...but the keyboard on the Macbook is downright funky - I played with one two nights ago, and I'm still not sure what I think about it. 'Tis definitely a cool computer, and the Intel bit is nice, but I'm still really unsure about it - I don't think I'd buy one until the first revision... lest there be very ugly quirks in v1.0.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 07:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARJ wrote:
The Precious has arrived

Yet another has been won over to the Apple Posse.

ARJ, I just want you to know that I blame you for what I'm about to post [Razz]

Smeagol: Microsoft. Microsoft looks after us. Microsoft wouldn't hurt us.
Gollum: Microsoft broke their promise.
Smeagol: Don't ask Sméagol. Poor, poor Sméagol.
Gollum: Microsoft betrayed us. Wicked. Tricksy, False. We ought to crash their filthy little OS. Crash them! Crash them! Crash them all! And then we takes the precious... and we installs the OS X!
Smeagol: But the bloated operating system, it knows. Webcams always watching.
Gollum: Then we stabs them out. Put out its eyeses, make it crash.
Smeagol: Yes. Yes. Yes.
Gollum: Crash them all.
Smeagol: Yes. No! No! It's too risky. It's too risky.
Gollum: We could let IE do it.
Smeagol: Yes. IE could do it.
Gollum: Yes, precious, IE could. And then we reformats it once it's crashed.
Smeagol: Once it's dead.
Smeagol: Come on users. Long ways to go yet. Sméagol will show the way.
Gollum: Click on this installer.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 08:01      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that case, should I get a cheaper z60t right now, or wait for the z61t with core duo?

EDIT: A dual-core T60 with specs fairly similar to the macbook for well under a grand on buy.com - I think that should answer my question [Smile]

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 17:51      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, where the hell did you get that? thats awesome

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 18:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made it up. ARJ started it with the whole precious comment and talking about turning WeirdArms into an Apple fanatic. I blame her [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2006 15:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, no "precious" for me - ended up ordering the good old (and very ugly, so no h0t p1x) Thinkpad T60. The Macbook Pro is too rich for my blood, and the Macbook Toaster Oven edition would quite literally burn a hole in my pocket [Smile]
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2006 16:21      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my "precious" a few days ago - it's obviously nowhere near as glamorous as a Macbook Pro, but it's reasonably light and built like a tank.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2006 17:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had girlfriends that met that description

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2006 19:18      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I've had girlfriends that met that description

So, you've dated chicks who were like thinkpads, eh? Which thinkpad though? The X (thin and cute,) the T (not too thick or thin, not too cute or ugly) or the R (big and ugly?) [Wink]

PS: Guess there's also the Z - thick, heavy, but very versatile [Smile]

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2006 02:41      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probally all 4 at the same time [Razz]
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2006 07:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all at the same time, but X, T and Z, check

R... umm... I was a lot less picky when I was in college [shake head]

NSFW ... T

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture