homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I'm being scammed!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm being scammed!
merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 13:54      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided recently to put my Dell Inspiron 6000 up for auction on eBay as it was rendered obselete by my recently purchased MacBook Pro (so shiny and very, very... very! warm).

I bought the Dell less than a year ago for $850. I didn't really care to get a lot of money out of it. I just wanted to get rid of it for whatever someone was willing to give me. I posted it w/ a starting price of $299 and a reserve of $500. Well, last night the auction ended and I got a very bizzare string of emails from the winner who requested that I ship it to Africa (after I said I would only ship within the US). Ok... I wasn't just born. I know what's probably going on here. Besides, the ebay account had just been created on that same day.

I ignored it and went out for the evening. When I got home, I had a (quite obviously) fake email from Paypal letting me know that the buyer had paid for the item but payment would not be released to me until I had confirmed that the item had been shipped. The email came from the "legit" email address [email protected] Now I know for sure that I'm being had... or that someone is trying at least.

I immediately sent a copy of the fake payment email to ebay and then also contacted Google. You see, the seller used a real, valid gmail address to send me messages with. I sent the "buyer" an email letting her (I'm going to use "her" because the name in the email was Kate) know that I'm getting ready to ship the computer in the next couple of days... yeah freakin right. Today, I get a very generic response from ebay that the email I received is, in fact, not from ebay or paypal. They wanted to let me know that they are "very concerned" about my problem and are "working diligently to address the situation." Well, it looks like eBay might not prove to be very helpful with this.

So, based on this exhaustive story, I ask you to give me any insight you might have into similar situations and who I might be able to talk to in order to actually get something done. While I obviously knew what was going on, I realized that if the same thing had happened to someone like... my mother, she would have not been able to tell this scam apart from a legitimate transaction. I want to make sure this person gets what they deserve for pulling crap like this.

Thanks!

I probably made a lot of gramatical/spelling errors in that story... whatever.

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 179 | From: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 14:38      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pull a P-P-Powerbook on them?

http://easynetworknyc.com/powerbook/

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 14:47      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I remember reading that story. I don't think I'm near clever enough to pull off something like that. =)

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 07:30      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you file the non-paying bidder case with ebay so you don't get slapped with rather hefty final value fees.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 07:33      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sic some Great Old Ones on the bastard and be done with it.*

*I hereby refuse any responsibility for the associated madness stemming from dealing with the denizens of Yuggoth.

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 08:32      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would continue to hound eBay until you know that you aren't going to be fined or penalized in any way.

If you still have the Dell in about a month, bump the thread. I might be interested.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 08:48      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I guess I'll just annoy the hell out of eBay until they acknowledge my issue.

FireSnake: I'll certainly let you know if it's still available.

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 09:47      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just sold my old 12" PB, while it's still worth something. While I didn't get as much as I was hoping, at least I didn't have to deal with any of the "dear seller" nigerian fellows. But then again, I got a student discount plus a $500 rebate through work at the time of purchase, so I ended up recovering almost everything I paid for it two years ago [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 10:23      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the specs.
Crimson
Geek
Member # 5163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 11:25      Profile for Crimson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
300? are you willing to bring the price down some? if so i will take it off your hands.
Posts: 106 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crimson
Geek
Member # 5163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 11:31      Profile for Crimson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are the specs? too
Posts: 106 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 17:46      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Untill they pay, you are under no obligation. And also, if it was clearly stated no shipping outside USA, that a valid issue of contract. Meaning you dont have to ship it anyware but in the USA. Let them tell ebay that you are scamming them, and pull that out. Just make sure you email them that the purchase is void, and keep all email corrispondance.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Mu
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5173

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 18:14      Profile for The Mu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I saw a site somewhere about this scam and some lady who was stupid enough to try it...

Ah, here it is. There.

Posts: 17 | From: Definitely not in your general vicinity | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 19:57      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one good experience with eBay, and on that one I actually met the seller -- a preacher at a small-town church -- and paid him cash for the product.

Every other experience appeared to be a scam. I don't use them any more. It appeared that eBay was never concerned about the average seller or buyer.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2006 21:23      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have bought and sold a few things. I have not encountered any outright scams, but I did win an auction on something that the seller refused to sell me after I won. I think they got a higher bid through other channels. They were livid when I reported them to ebay. Ebay ended up shutting them off.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 10:26      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made a few purchases through eBay, and haven't had a problem. I tend to shop there for specialty items, which are difficult to find anywhere else, and scammers seem to like high-end popular items.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture