homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Gall stones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gall stones
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 08:36      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I have been sick lately and havent been posting too much. That should be changing soon. On saturday I had emergency gall bladder surgery. The doctor said I had over 50 stones and one was soooo big they had to crush it before they could remove the gall bladder. They are saving them for me and i get to pick them up today. I think they will make a wonderfully gross paperweight. Or maybe I will pick up a rock polisher and make them into jewelry for my loved ones. I can sign the card "A piece of me for you" [Big Grin]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 08:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good to see you up and posting.

I think a nice set of earrings would be the perfect Christmans gift. [Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 15, 2006 09:24      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only important thing is that you are fine - and back!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 09:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're ok, YaYa.

Gall stone jewelry. Now that is a great way to either start or end a conversation really quickly. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 16:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. I had my own gall bladder removed due to gall stones and an infection. Not fun at all. It's good to hear that you're recovering and it's over, though, because you'll feel a lot better (until you eat something deep fried for the first time after the surgery, anyway).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 19:30      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. And thank you too steen for the specific advice, I will keep it in mind. Right now I am still on soft foods so I dont have to worry about the fried food shuffle. This may be a bit weird and morbid, but then I am a tad off anyways so i guess it doesnt matter but I just finished counting them. I had 206 of those little suckers. That is lots of craft supplies for homemade gifts hahaha. I know I will never look at corn the same way again so many of the stones had that shape.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 15, 2006 20:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch!

Glad to hear you're on the mend YaYa, and great to have you back. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 05:08      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that sounds like a massively unpleasant experience. I have known several friends who had to have gall bladders removed, due to reasons other than gall stones. Hopefully your recovery will be a speedy as theirs was.

Please tell me you will show us (or at least the morbidly curious among us) pictures of your gall stone jewelry! That's just too crazy weird to pass up. :-)

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 07:10      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yayawmn glad you are well now and sorry to hear of your troubles. Maybe you could Ebay these craft items..... [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 18:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YaYawoman wrote:
I had 206 of those little suckers.

Horrifyingly, the first thing that came to mind when I read that was christmas tree garland!

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 20:24      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel yayawoman, I had my gallbladder removed some months ago, lost my apetite completely =/ But it was a relief that I didn't have those horrible pains the stones caused ;P
Glad to hear you're doing well!

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 08:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they were able to do that belly button version of the surgery even though you had so many. Get well soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 11:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lordy - that must have been very unpleasant!
I'm glad to hear you are on the mend...how long do think it will take you to drill 206 little beads? [Razz]
You could be sure no-one else would have a necklace anything like that! [Razz]
Welcome back. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 12:18      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait till after the person you give the jewlery to has put it on before telling them the source. It should have more of a shock value. And then take a picture of thier face. That would be to priceless.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 13:05      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you get gall stones anyway?

And i am also happy that you are well again, welcome back!

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 18:45      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
How do you get gall stones anyway?

And i am also happy that you are well again, welcome back!

Mostly it is hereditary. There is a theory though that if your metablolism changes it changes the combination of the chemical crap in your gall bladder possibly creating an imbalance that is more conducive to the formation of gall stones.(dontcha just love technical jargon [Wink] )

Steen--I love the garland idea but i dont think I have enough stones to go around the whole tree.

Mac D- What a wonderfully twisted and evil idea. I love it!! Hahahaha here is something even more twisted. I told my best friend that I would makeher some earings and then she told me about watching one of those baby shows on cable tv (she is 8 months pregnant herself) and told me about one mother who saved the placenta and had it made into a pate (sp?) and served it at a gathering of friends and family who were there to admire the new baby. Then my best friend said go ahead, make me some earings, and I will make a pate. If I wear them, you have to eat some. ewww. She won.I wont be making her any earings.

Grummash--I was thinking of just getting a tiny glue gun and some of the jewelry posts from a craft store and gluing a couple together just for shock value. I dont think I have the patience to drill holes in them. heehee

I did have the laproscopic surgery. It was emergency surgery and the doctor said it was so swollen and inflamed they had to widen the exit hole to the absolute limit (i guess once they reach a certain point they have to open up the traditional way) and then it almost wouldnt fit into the collection container. This surgery when scheduled and prepared for is usually into the surgery in morning and discharged in the evening. I was there for almost 2 days getting the iv antibiotics. Just a tad infected. heehee

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture