homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Aerial bombardment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aerial bombardment
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted May 11, 2006 14:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking to dragonman about Demos and killing bugs (I'd totally misunderstood what that was about) and we got onto the various creatures that plague the US and Britain. And birds:

(01:27:09) Dan: Course, there are always birds to poo on your head
(01:27:53) dragonman97: that's universal, i suppose
(01:28:06) dragonman97: unless that's a really frequent occurrence for you [Razz]

Not especially. That was yesterday. Today, getting out of someone's car ... *plop* "..? Ooo nice". Bird poo on my head, perfect shot.

I mentioned it to another friend shortly thereafter over MSN (when I got into the house and back to my PC, mid afternoon). And I just got an e-mail from him:

"As i was walking home with my german office mate and telling him about you and your unwilling participation in ariel target practice, a bird crapped on my head. He laughed so much he couldn't stand and knelt to floor. Fate has no mercy and an evil sense of humour."

LOL!

IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 15:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got bird poo on my shoulder last summer while in the Byward Market in downtown Ottawa. I ran to one of those cheap stores (Giant Tiger, for those of you have heard of it), and bought a new shirt to replace it for $4.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 19:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That has never happened to me. Even on those occasions when I had no choice but to walk under a crow rookery. I have, however, been out and out attacked by crows and ravens who decided I was a dangerous predator coming too close to their nest. One almost took out a chunk of my hair. Startled me so bad I almost fell off my bike!

I'm sure that one day it will all catch up with me at the most incovenient time.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 20:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

I'm sure that one day it will all catch up with me at the most incovenient time.

I'm not sure there is a convenient time to be shit on by a bird.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 21:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

I'm not sure there is a convenient time to be shit on by a bird.
I believe you mean, "a convenient time to be shat on by a bird." Or 'shat upon.'

Sorry, but turnabout is fair play. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 22:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was enjoying a cappuccino in an outdoor cafe when *splash* a huge blob of seagull excrement landed in my cup. Put me off cappuccinos for months.

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I believe you mean, "a convenient time to be shat on by a bird." Or 'shat upon.'

Shat?
Shitten?
Shitted?

I've consulted several standard references on English usage, and I can't find a definitive answer.
What's the geeky consensus?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 02:22      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shite/Shat.
Shit/Shitted.

At least that's my opinion. Two verbs, slightly different.

As Mrs. Doyle might say:
And of course, the f-word, father, the bad f-word, worse than "feck" - you know the one I mean.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 04:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I've consulted several standard references on English usage, and I can't find a definitive answer.

I stand by my 'shit on', thank-you-very-much. [Razz]
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 07:16      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Shite/Shat.
Shit/Shitted.

At least that's my opinion. Two verbs, slightly different.

Are you shitting me? Shite (including its declinations) seems exclusive to those of Brit/UK extraction.

Defininitely a "shit in" (referring to Druid's capucino) or "shit upon" situation.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 08:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Since I am at a place of learning, I have access to the OED. Unfortunately, I don't understand the terminology of it, and I'm wary of cutting and pasting.

Shite represents the old english, with the more common modern form influenced by the past/passive participle or related noun.

Uses listed in quotations are:
Schite
Schete
Schyten
Shote
Shit
Shat
Shitted

With shat predominating.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 12, 2006 15:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a strapping young lad we used to have a tradition, if you got pooped on by a bird, the others in the gang would buy you a case of beer. It eased that feeling that the world hates you, and introduced a case of beer into the mix for everyone. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 15:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, I didn't post this because I was pissed off. I posted it because it was such an improbable and very funny chain of events.
IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 08:03      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to have to go with shit/shat/shit for present/past/past participle as in:

1. People shit everyday.
2. That bird just shat on you.
3. I'd nearly shit my brains out by the time the dictionary.com tells us:
ambulance arrived.

But
"2 entries found for shat.
shat
v. Vulgar Slang
A past tense and a past participle of shit."

So according to them it would be shit/shat/shat

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture