homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Almost there...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Almost there...
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 04:58      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I handed in my Final Year Dissertation yesterday. It's not really a big deal compared to the research papers and theses that I'll have to deal with in the future, and that I know other members are dealing with right now, but I'm really happy, and very proud of myself. Don't think I have ever worked so hard in my life! I almost made myself ill, in fact, but it's all done, dusted, printed, bound and handed in. [Smile]

The topic, for anyone interested, was 'Misogyny in Latin Love Elegy'. There is a tonne of it [Wink] . I think I have found a niche as a gender-studies focused Classicist, which is overwhelming, as I never thought I'd get to the stage where I really know what my passions are.

It seems like yesterday that I was excitedly posting my A-Level (final high school exam) results. And now I'm just a few exams away from completing my degree... [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 14 posted May 06, 2006 05:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 06:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wooticus Maximus ! [thumbsup] [Applause] [thumbsup]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 06:03      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done! I remember that when I did my final dissertation, it really brought the subject alive in a way that the rest of the course couldn't match. It was the idea of new discoveries from my own efforts that really turned me on to post-graduate research.

Good luck with the exams!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 07:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well done!

Have one on me. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 09:46      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wooness and much Yayity!!! [Applause]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 06, 2006 10:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnificent Valour!

We're proud of you! [Smile] [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 06, 2006 11:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soon you will have your own series on the BBC! Congratulations! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 13:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go skylar!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 14:47      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yippee!Good job!
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 19:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Sky! We all feel proud of you. [thumbsup] [Applause] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 03:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Skylar! [Applause]

The finishing line is in sight... [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 08:20      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qa'pla, mighty warrior of classical literature!

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 15:16      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww, thanks everyone... [Big Grin] [Happytears]

I'm so blissed out right now... haven't started thinking about exams yet, clearly [Wink] . Just spent the entire weekend with a friend, taking buses and trains around Bristol and Bath, walking around in the sun, doing crosswords, getting drunk... not much of anything at all, really. Quite wonderful [Smile] .

Thanks for all the luck, too! Tomorrow, revision begins...

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 15:31      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Sky.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 01:05      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well done, its almost all over!

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 01:47      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 04:38      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats. Quite an accomplishment. I wish I had the motivation for grad school.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture