homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Cinco de Mayo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinco de Mayo
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:10      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Cinco de Mayo day (I hope I spelled it correctly. [Smile] )

Anyway, on this 5th of May, what will you drink to today?

Best,

Dan

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:19      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danimal:
what will you drink to today?

Best,

Dan

Quince, but I really don't care that Mexico is "liberated".

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:44      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrary to popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not the Mexican equivalent of Independance Day. It celbrates the victory of the Battle of Puebla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

Though now-a-days in the US it is sort of the Mexican equivalent of St. Patrick's Day--namely an excuse for everyone to pretend to be that nationality and get drunk. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 10:48      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously some idiot racist has edited the wikipedia page for today [shake head]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 11:19            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

To my wife Pamela. It's her birthday today.

(She shares this birthday with LaShawn Barber, a black conservative blogger we read. No political commentary intended here; it's just a nice coincidence.)

IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 05, 2006 11:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me toasts Mexico, the mighty Popo, and Happy Birthday to Pamela! [Applause]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 11:50      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
quote:

(She shares this birthday with LaShawn Barber, a black conservative blogger we read. No political commentary intended here; it's just a nice coincidence.)

Mine as well.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 12:49      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
quote:

Mine as well.
And mine.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 05, 2006 14:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Oz! [thumbsup]

/me starts new thread.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 14:13      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will get the xx and watch the whole Mexico Trilogy tonight. My wife will not be happy. But I do not care, for tonight I am Pancho Villa
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 14:14      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked on the internet, and it is also the birthday of Karl Marx and Soren Kierkegaard. Also, Napoleon Bonaparte died on May 5.
Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 14:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mage.... it's your b-day too? All the best to you and your parents (well, they're the ones who ensured your existence, right?). [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 14:58      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me I only celebrate the Tres de Ketchup.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 20:46      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Best,

Dan

Corona, of couse!(is that just a Texas thing?)
I even wore my Corona tank-top today.
AND when I got home, I watched some Latin-American stand up comedy, followed by a Cheech&Chong Special.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 01:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
/me toasts Mexico, the mighty Popo, and Happy Birthday to Pamela! [Applause]

I laughed, (popo being german for butt.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 05:06      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone. It was funny to read many of your replies.

I liked the Tres de Ketchup one. My wife rolls her eyes every time I talk about following up Cinco de Mayo with Seis de Mustard. [Smile]

I had a couple of Grand Gold Mararitas last night (yumm) while sitting next to a fire and smoking a stogie. The locals in my city were setting off fireworks and bottle rockets and we watched those for a while.

It was relaxing.

Best,

Dan

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture