homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My day could have been better.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My day could have been better.
Mundungus
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 19:12      Profile for Mundungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's see. Girlfriend broke up with me (whatever) and my brother is in intensive care with a large blood clot in his chest.

I've been a little...overwhelmed.

--------------------
"We must fear nothing but fear itself."

"What about werewolves?"

"Yes, and werewolves."

Posts: 2 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 19:41      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have forgotten the root password to a linux box I haven't booted in a couple months.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 21:09      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog died last Tuesday. The guy I like has spent four days in Vegas. Old teacher who was my little sis' teacher had a heart attack and died last night.

Those are the big things.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 23:44      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear Mundungus and Thorned0Fortress had such difficult weeks. I hope your brother will be ok and will heal quickly Mundungus. I can see how that alone would be pretty overwhelming. It stinks you had to go through a break-up too. I hope this next week brings both of you a lot of great news, particularly that Mundungus' brother is ok. Keep us posted ok Mund? I hope your sister is doing ok with the passing of their teacher too Thorned.

(nerdwithnofriends, if you can get at the passwd file you can always run it through john to extract it for you. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 04:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I seem to have forgotten the root password to a linux box I haven't booted in a couple months.

linux init=/bin/sh

Upon booting:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

passwd

<enter new password twice>

shutdown -r now

Enjoy password changed goodness.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 08:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

linux init=/bin/sh

Upon booting:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

passwd

shutdown -r now

I'd do a couple of "sync"s before shutting down and rebooting, just to make sure the password change hits the disk properly. But that's just me being cautious...
IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 10:14      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ex husband posted some very nasty lies about the loss of my son (and the children we lost) on his MySpace account. [Mad]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 10:42      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Sorry to hear that Black Widow. That's pretty sick.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 11:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
My ex husband posted some very nasty lies about the loss of my son (and the children we lost) on his MySpace account. [Mad]

ew. That's not something you lie about or make shit up about. At least he's your ex-husband.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 11:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BW, is this a recent ex-husband? I'm so sorry! It must hurt like the dickens to lose both a child and your husband. My prayers are with you.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 18:39      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is pain - whoever said that was a f*cking genius. Let's just leave it at that...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 13 posted May 01, 2006 20:17      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
The guy I like has spent four days in Vegas.

Btw he ... ummm.... 'hooked up' (Sorry I don't know a more gramatically correct way to say that) while he was there. [weep]
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 11:51      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
BW, is this a recent ex-husband? I'm so sorry! It must hurt like the dickens to lose both a child and your husband. My prayers are with you.

This is the one I divorced three years ago, not my current husband. And he was referencing my most recent loss of my son, last month, and also making references to the children he and I lost three plus years ago.
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 12:36      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is the one I divorced three years ago, not my current husband. And he was referencing my most recent loss of my son, last month, and also making references to the children he and I lost three plus years ago.

Sorry about your loss. Losing a child once can be devastating, but twice must be mind-wrecking. And then to have an ex unable to bear it... [shake head] Need a hug? [weep]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 19:39      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

linux init=/bin/sh

Upon booting:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

passwd

shutdown -r now

Which I did, after I found a keyboard and monitor to hook up to the machine. Normally it sits in a closet underneath a bunch of junk and I just ssh into it. So it was more a pain in the ass than it was difficult.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2006 05:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

What a prick. Good thing you divorced him. That is way beyond harsh on his part.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2006 14:33      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A***h**e does not even begin to describe the steenkeng depths of that st00pidness

Adults form and break relationships... for a variety of reasons...

The loss of a child - pre natal, post natal or neo natal; is not an area into which anyone has any right to be poking an interfering comment... (and yes I have lost a child early "in utero" and my brother and his wife lost one pre natal... and a good friend of mine lost a total of 5 to late miscarriage or neo natal death...)

So I have only this to say... If you have suffered the effects of it you know what it means to all concerned... and if you have not please tread lightly on the tears of those who have... because when it happens you would gladly dig out your eyes with dessert spoons to change it... Which of course you cannot...

No matter what you believe - in my view the death of a baby should bring all of us together... because without babies we can kiss the human race goodbye (regardless of whether you think that is necessarily a bad thing or not..)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 00:34      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your kind words Serenak.
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 00:16      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The final I thought due next week is due this Sunday.

I leave town on Saturday.

*panic*

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture