homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Don't look, you'll go blind! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Don't look, you'll go blind!
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 18:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I decided the beard was annoying me over the weekend. And most of what hair I had left.

-

It's all shaved down to about 1/4" and when I rub the back of my head, it feels weirdly like I'm petting a chihuahua.

I think I'm gonna let it grow back in a bit and not go so short next time.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 19:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, you look like my uncle during his bout with Hodgkin's lymphoma the second time 'round (I don't remember the first time he went through it). I never thought I'd say this, but grow the beard back. You look healthier with hair.

That's on the bottom of your face.

On the top half of your face, you look like Scott Hamilton. He's hot. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 19:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude...come back to the scruffy side!

Oh, and smile! [Big Grin] [Razz]

(So says someone who rarely dons such a thing. [Wink] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 19:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats-her-name already said she thought I looked better with a beard, so it'll be back. Of course, she also said she wanted to get me a hat so I would look more Amish [Confused]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 20:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah... you'd have to lose the moustache to look remotely Amish.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 21:14      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, grow it back. 'Nuff said.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 18, 2006 00:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the no beard!

alas, what's her-name's-vote probably counts more than mine. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 18, 2006 00:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 06:23      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with whatsername on this one..... go with the beard!!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 06:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, without the beard you kind of look like Hunter Thompson. Depends on how you feel about him. [ohwell]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 06:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me cries foul!

Edit: Thanks, Snaggy! Now I can be even more mysterious...bwahahahahaha!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 08:04      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say beards, all around. [Smile]

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 12:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beard. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 12:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beards don't suit most people imnsho.

Actually growing a beard would take me upwards of a month. I have to not shave for a week before it becomes visible from a distance.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 13:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Bears don't suit most people imnsho.
Them's fightin' words in these parts, stranger.

Actually growing a beard would take me upwards of a month. I have to not shave for a week before it becomes visible from a distance.

I'm the same, which is strange, because the hair on the upper part of my head grows very quickly.
But this just makes a beard all the more precious, it must be nurtured, like a bonzai tree...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 13:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
But this just makes a beard all the more precious, it must be nurtured, like a bonzai tree...

Me too. The hair on my head goes from a #2 (cut very short) to going over my ears in < 1 month.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 14:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Bears don't suit most people imnsho.
Them's fightin' words in these parts, stranger.

I'm the same, which is strange, because the hair on the upper part of my head grows very quickly.

It's also bloody easy to maintain. It is a bit of a deferred matter, though - as when one does get around to trimming it, he really ought to do a neat job of it. I think it'll be at least another week or so before I get around to trimming mine...and I forget when I last did it. The thing is....while it's very comfortable, there is a point at which it is /too/ long...but oh so soft and fluffy. [Razz] Still, I won't be like Jon "maddog" Hall. [Smile]

Also, newf is just jealous. [Wink]

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 15:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between RL and online I've had 23 people tell me I looked better with the beard, 5 who said I looked better without it and a couple of undecided/don't cares.

Oh, and you haven't lived until a woman rubs your head and calls over a couple of friends saying excitedly, "feel this... it's like rubbing a chihuahua's ass!" and then had your head rubbed by strange women.

This day has done gone weird on me.

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 16:04      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahahaha . You look like Moby in a couple of decades or so.
AhahahahahAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For real ,tho, it's tight.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 19:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
For real ,tho, it's tight.

The somewhat linguistically curious person in me wishes to know, "What exactly does that mean, anyway?!"

(A healthy guess is present, but it just seems like a quirky way to describe this. [Razz] )

--------------------

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 20:06      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... I know you watch movies , hun, U can't be so dim.
I will tell you: It means I like it.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 20:42      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think dman just has the same curiosity that I do, where did that phrase come from. "Tight" used to mean (and in some cases still does) "tight-fisted" aka, cheap. Now for some reason it means "cool". Why?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 20:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I think dman just has the same curiosity that I do, where did that phrase come from. "Tight" used to mean (and in some cases still does) "tight-fisted" aka, cheap. Now for some reason it means "cool". Why?

Thanks for not addressing me with AIMglish. [Smile]

Well, if I were to believe some of the e-mail I get in my Inbox, I think I could figure out a different connotation, which might be deemed to be good. Think of a recent thread that went way down the TMI path. [Smile]

--------------------

Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 22:20      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
"Tight" used to mean (and in some cases still does) "tight-fisted" aka, cheap. Now for some reason it means "cool". Why?

This could be totally off the mark, but once one of the hairdressers at work braided my hair in boxbraids, and I walked by a guy on the street, and he said "damn, those braids is TIGHT!!!" and I had no idea what to say. Later I told the hairdresser, and she said "Oh, that's a compliment! There's nothing worse than loose braids!"

Or this could have nothing to do with anything at all! [crazy]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2006 00:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of idiomatic usages of the word "tight". What are we supposed to do after we click on "add reply" and we get a page that says "sit tight, we are taking you back to <forum name>" .

Are we supposed to sit there and "clench"?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture