homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Games We Play.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Games We Play.
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 13, 2006 19:25      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I figure, I'd ask about games. After all, while some may find the Zen goodness that is coding to be it's own reward, there are still others (such as myself) who love to game. Games are, indeed, the measure of an advanced society.

The games I play, they vary situationally, as does the defenition of 'game'. Here's a sampling.

Single Player: Half-Life 2. Star Trek. Pr0n.

LAN Party: WarCraft III. Counter-Strike. Windows XP Installation. Cuddle With Everyone. Unreal Tournament (classic).

MMO: World of Warcraft (though I have tried a handful of others). Digg. Various Forums.

Outdoor: Deep Woods Capture-the-Flag. Anything involving Nerf/Water guns (I'm old fashioned that way). Downhill skiing. Fishing.

So what games do you play?

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 19:47      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:

MMO: World of Warcraft

Um...guilty. [blush]

Though I have also been known to play a mean game of Civ III. And Tetris. Gotta love the classics.

As for outdoors, there's something to be said for lasertag. Cheesy, I know, but nothing's more fun than chasing your friends around an empty playground trying to shoot them in the back. And it's easier to clean up than paintball. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 19:50      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely forgot the Civ series. Civ 4 was a godsend when I was in the hospital.

--------------------

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 19:56      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starcraft.

Old? Yes. Amazing? Still.

When it comes to 'real' sports, I like a good game of pick-up football, and some of my friends and I will setup boxing matches every now and then. These are usually pretty interesting, and I usually don't participate, because I have a 300lb athletic build, and none of them weights more than 180 lbs.

The funny thing is, these are all the 'geeks' in the physics 2 class at school, the ones who you would never picture doing anything but running.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 20:57      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately I've been having fun replaying FFVI.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 22:40      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Wars Galaxies.

Level 62 Jedi (A Sith working with the Rebelion to try to topple the current sith regime so that I can take over the galaxy when it is still weak)

If anyone plays I'm on Eclipes and part of Echo Battalion based on Corelia.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 22:41      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my current rotation are the following: Mario Kart DS (online play), The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, Sonic Advance 2, Astro Boy, and if I can ever get it to connect to Nintendo's server I'll be playing Metroid Prime Hunters.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 03:12      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently, I've been playing Armagtron Advanced - a simple (but 3d) Tron game. At first it looks so limited, but you soon start to realise how effective the gameplay is, and when you watch a well-rehearsed team playing at their best, it's amazing.

Old favourites: Warcraft 3, Stepmania (especially online), loads of shareware, Sim City 2000, Racer (an awesome free driving simulator)...

I'm looking forward to getting my new computer, which should be able to run plenty of modern Windows games - GTA San Andreas is the one I'm looking forward to, especially with the Multi Theft Auto expansion.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 06:00      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only game I really waste my time on is Guild Wars [thanks Spiderman [Razz] ]. But I do play Quinn [a very nice OS X Tetris clone] from time to time.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 07:52      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I'm kind of hooked on the browser game www.kingdomofloathing.com. An adventurer is me.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 11:43      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soldat is a fun game at LANs http://soldat.prv.pl/

It's small and installs quick.

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 16:59      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did forget DDR. I used to be in such great aerobic shape thanks to that game.

--------------------

Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2006 11:05      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently on my weekly Game Night it is usually Starcraft. It has been in the rotation for years and is the default option when we have enough working computers for everyone. When we are short a computer then the board games Ticket to Ride and Alhambra or perhaps one of the other Spiele des Jahres winners.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2006 13:37      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dungeons and Dragons, mostly Living Greyhawk (I am a triad member for Switzerland, of all places [Roll Eyes] )

Very guilty when it comes to WoW.

Once I get a computer with a better graphics card then I will be firing up Civ IV.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 21:44      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of video games? Quake, Halo, Katamari Damacy, the new Call Of Cthulhu game, a stack of NES games, and Mah Jongg solitaire.

I'm into pinball, checkers, go, trivia games, Chrononauts, Fluxx, word games, and mind control on the side, too. [Razz]

Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2006 22:55      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naaaa na na na na na na na na Katamari Damacy!

--------------------

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 02:40      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Naaaa na na na na na na na na Katamari Damacy!

Best...video game...soundtrack...evar. [Big Grin]

Which reminds me, I completely forgot to mention Otsu! Tatake! Ouendon! on my games list! How can you not love a rhthym game where you control a squad of badass cheerleaders who help people through their everyday lives? Pure gold. [Smile]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 05:29      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Outdoor: Deep Woods Capture-the-Flag. Anything involving Nerf/Water guns (I'm old fashioned that way). Downhill skiing. Fishing.

Might I add corporate paintball....... where else can you shoot your boss in the butt, and not get fired?

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 06:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
quote:

Might I add corporate paintball....... where else can you shoot your boss in the butt, and not get fired?
Why, at work if you're talented and sneaky enough.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 18, 2006 07:36      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Single Player: Myst 1-4 & Uru: to D`ni, Mines 1.0 for firefox

LAN Party: Haven't gotten to go to one YET.

MMO: Chats and Starport GE

Outdoor: Biking, Nerf, Lasertag, and hopefully soon Airsoft

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 19:53      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot the most important game I play. Boccquetshoe is the triathlon of lawn sports. It is composed of croquet, bocce ball, and horseshoes. When the guys from Quality Assurance come over, they usually play the croquet part as a drinking game. When that happens I suggest staying away from the horse shoes area...

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Armored_geek
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5078

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 12:13      Profile for Armored_geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Single player: Settlers 4, Baldur's Gate, Starcraft

MMO: World of Warcraft.

Multiplayer: TFC and Halo [Big Grin]

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should see to it that he does not become a monster. when you gaze long into abyss the abyss gazes into you.

Posts: 15 | From: Victoria BC Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 18:35      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PC: Oblivion (just got it a couple of weeks ago)
PS2: Shadow Hearts II (haven't got very far yet)
Cards: Cribbage, Gin (since I was 7 or so)
TTRPG: Castles & Crusades (last game) and Mutants & Masterminds (upcoming game)
Minis: D&D minis (not much, but I like it)
Outdoor: Frisbee, wander around Newtown (don't have the cash to do what I really want to outdoors: sailing or surfing)

I've managed to avoid MMOGs SO FAR (touch wood).

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 19:06      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PC: StarCraft, SW: Empire at War, and Command&Conquer game

PS2: and Final Fantasy game, ChronoTrigger, SW: BattleFront2

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture