homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Well, it's about that time... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Well, it's about that time...
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 09:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I'm glad you're OK, Xanthine.

I had a bike-related accident of my own Sunday, but nothing nearly as bad as yours. The clublets had convinced me to ride up to the school since we had just bought three new cheapie bikes from WalMart (sorry, but I have other things to spend real money on [Smile] ). Unfortunately, the youngest has not fully figured out the concept of brakes yet. At the top of the one "big" hill between us and the school I suggested she walk her bike down, or at least let me hold onto her seat.

So I rode down to park my bike and when I turned around I saw she was already starting down. By the time I reached her she was moving pretty fast and panicking. I tried to grab on to slow her down, but Netwon's laws did not work in my favor. Luckily we both only got a little road rash out of the deal. And yes, I was wearing my helmet, though I didn't hit my head in the fall.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 09:47      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, very sorry about your accident.

You are probably tired of the "get a helmet" advice when you are hurting, but I will appeal to the scientist in you to have a look at:

Thompson RS; Rivara FP; Thompson DC, A case-control study of the effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets, New England Journal of Medicine. 320(21):1361-7. This classic article shows an 85% reduction in the rate of serious head injury when one uses a bike helmet.

A later article by the same group:
Effectiveness of Bicycle Safety Helmets in Preventing Serious Facial Injury [Brief Report]
Thompson, Diane C. MS; Nunn, Martha E. DDS, MS; Thompson, Robert S. MD; Rivara, Frederick P. MD, MPH in JAMA also showed a reduction in upper (but not lower) face injuries.

I am sure that you know that everyone is chastising you out of genuine concern. Hope you get well soon.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 10:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about helmets is I really do know better. Not ust because I've seen the statistics but because a helmet has saved my mother. Twice.

I have no good excuses and I'm not trying to make any, other than to point out a helmet would not have saved me in this particular case as most of my injuries are to the lower part of my face (now if I had one of those fancy montain-biking helmets with a face shield...). However, I found my helmet and wore it today.

THe swelling's going down, which is nice, but now I'm changing colors, which isn't so nice. Half my face is turning black and blue, the other half is all nice and normal.

I got my bike out of impound. No money was charged as 1) it's a frickin' bicycle and 2) they were just holding it for safe-keeping. Said so right on the paper work. I got a better look at the frame and it's even worse than i thought. It's done, over, totalled, kaput. The fork, the wheels, and all the other componnents are okay though, so I'm thinking of contacting R&E Cycles (the guys who sold my parents the bike back in 1998) and asking them about selling me a frame. I don't think there's a warranty on the bike or anything but I like their stuff and I want my bike back.

ETA: I always wear a helmet when I climb. Always.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 11:46      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
The thing about helmets is I really do know better.

If I had a nickel for every time I thought "I know better" just after screwing up, I'd have paid off my student loan years ago.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 12:55      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just glad you're okay! Bikes can be fixed/brought back to life. People on the other hand tend not to fare so well once the pulse quits.
/me hugs Xanth

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 14:33      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
THe swelling's going down, which is nice, but now I'm changing colors, which isn't so nice. Half my face is turning black and blue, the other half is all nice and normal.

hirez!!!

Er ... yeah. Sorry. [evil]

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 15:45      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you are safe and join the chorus of helmet wearing!!! We like you best all in one piece.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 16:00      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crikey, geezer - I ain't never heard tell of no one trying to damage herself more than you. I thought cycling was supposed to be good for you. Ain't there a bus where you live? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 16:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cycling is good for you. It's the cars that are the problem. Seriously. If there were no motorized vehicles then I wouldn't have had any crashes to date.

There is a bus, but I can't not ride. Especially when the weather is as warm ad beautiful as it has been of late.

My boyfriend thinks I'm subconsciously suicidal. I'm not sure about that. I think I just push my luck too hard.

I still don't know how I didn't see that car. I've spotted smaller and darker cars poking out of blind driveways, and he was a monster beige SUV out in the open. I know he should have seen me, but come on. Let's be honest. Drivers don't watch for bikes. Maybe some do, but not enough for me to assume I've bee seen, even with lights. Even in broad daylight. Unless I can and have made eye contact with the person behind the wheel, I assume I'm invisible, and I'm in the habit of watching yards upon yards up the road from me and listening hard for anything behind me. Maybe it was because I was so close to home. Or maybe he was coming in from behind me, and turned real sudden. I really don't know where he came from.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture