homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What's your Root password?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your Root password?
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 19:07      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... Canal

I had a root canal today. It was really interesting. My father was a dentist so I grew up using dental instruments for building models (we even had one of those ultra low-speed belt driving drills in the basement workshop as a pre-dremel tool). This, however, was all instruments I hadn't seen before.

From what I could see, he precisely drills down with a series of ultra thin bits, then uses a series of ultra flexible files with burrs of varying widths, set at varying depths. He keeps calling out things like 15/25 (meaning a 15 width and a 25 depth), plunging that into the hole, scraping out the pulp, then calling for either a wider or deeper burr.

Then he kept sticking steel pins down the holes, taking xrays, pulling them out and measuring them against a tiny ruler. I have no idea what that was for.

I the final round, he must use this really fast drying cement compound, becuase he and his assistant do this lightening fast ballet of switching instruments and cement. It really looks like some kind of dental three-card monty. I wish they had put up a mirror so I could see it properly.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 19:41      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It almost sounds like you had fun watching a dentist give you a root canal.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 20:49      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a bit of freak....no really. I still have two baby (lower) molars that never got adult teeth that grew in under them (apparently this is somewhat rare) Anywho - I had a root canal on one of them 10 years ago and it was actually quite painless and I fucking hate the dentist, like QF said, it was a bit bizzare with all those little drill bits and measuring.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 22:21      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

I the final round, he must use this really fast drying cement compound, becuase he and his assistant do this lightening fast ballet of switching instruments and cement. It really looks like some kind of dental three-card monty.

Wow, that brings back memories from my dental assisting days. One of the hardest things to learn was how to hand the gutta percha points off to the dentist during that part of the procedure. I finally realized that the angled college plier, when holding a cement-laden point, looked like a square root symbol. It was easy after that.

Sadly, I really didn't have much more of an inkling about what he was actually doing than you did.
I do know that the measurements are important so that the dentist doesn't overfill the canal and break through the other end... or something like that.

It was a high school job and I was purely there for the paycheck. [ohwell] Root canals were so boring, too... I much preferred extractions or fillings.

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 00:54      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a root canal a while ago... I was suprised that it honestly didn't hurt to have it done. The tooth ache that got me in there, however, meant that the tooth was mostly dead to begin with. He put in a temporary filling, and we scheduled a time to put in a real filling; but things came up and I wasn't able to make it. The temp filling is gone now, and I really need to make an appointment with the dentist before I lose the tooth. I forget about it most of the time b/c it doesn't hurt.

The thing about my dentist is that he watches TV while he works, and it's a bit unnerving. But, he's cheap and has always done good work. He's my mom's dentist too, and she refered me.

I grind my teeth in my sleep, and I chiped this one a long time ago. It was filled a few times in highschool, but the filling never lasts. Then came the tooth ache... I had to do something, so I had the root canal. So the moral is, don't grind your teeth if you can help it...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 02:32      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going for a check up today. Wish me luck!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 05:21      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, littlefish! [Smile]

When I was younger, I never minded going to the dentist. In fact, I loved it... I never had any problems with my teeth, and I got a cool sticker and a lollipop for my trouble (isn't it a bit wrong for dentists to be giving out sugary sweets, though?).

However, things changed when I came to uni. My housemate is a dental student, and so I have spent many a Friday night watching tomorrow's dentists and orthodontists drinking themselves into a state wherein they give themselves a black eye when they try and lift their glass to their lips. Now I get ever so slightly nervous each time I go for a check up [crazy]

Which reminds me... I have a wisdom tooth that will need extracting sometime soon... my housemate keeps coming up to me and poking around in my mouth to give me his 'professional opinion'. He even said I can come to a drop-in session at the teaching hospital, and he'll extract it himself... oh dear...

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 05:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I had a root canal a while ago... I was suprised that it honestly didn't hurt to have it done. The tooth ache that got me in there, however, meant that the tooth was mostly dead to begin with.

I had the same thing, it's fun to tell people that I've had a root canal done with no anisthetic, people look at me like I'm quite mad (and who am I to disagree?)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 06:46      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I had plenty of anisthetic. I have a high tolerance for it. My entire mouth went numb before the nerve went out. But, it really did not hurt. Also, this was an Endodontist, rather than a regular Dentist. The only thing he does is root canals, so he's got the technique down cold.

What's wierd now is that the tooth is no longer temperature sensitive. For the last month I've been bracing myself for pain every time I drank something that was not luke-warm, and it's hard to break the habit.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 08:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
... my housemate keeps coming up to me and poking around in my mouth ....

Oh skylie.....are you just sayin' that to make me jealous? [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 09:29      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
... my housemate keeps coming up to me and poking around in my mouth ....

Oh skylie.....are you just sayin' that to make me jealous? [Big Grin]
Absolutely. Is it working? [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 10:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes [weep]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 07, 2006 14:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE going to the dentist!! I'd go every day if I could afford it. [hearts] [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 15:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral fixation?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 19:28      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must. suppress. filling. cavity. joke... [blush]
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 02:37      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no fillings for me, but I've been told to be more careful brushing my wisdom teeth.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture