homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » A very sh*tty night!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A very sh*tty night!
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 21:51      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So here I was driving home from work at 12:00 am down a 2 lane highway enjoying the TWiT Apple 30th Anniversary podcast and suddenly there is a large dog in the middle of my lane. I had no time to stop or swerve out of the way (there was a car in the other lane, but even if there had not been I would not have had time to avoid hitting it) and hit it at 55-mph [cry baby] . I stopped and walked to the dog, it was already on the shoulder and was dead [cry baby] I checked it and it was not breathing. It did not have a collar on so I couldn't even contact the owner. I think it was a Lab mix. It was looking right at me when I hit it. [cry baby] At least it died instantly and did not suffer.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted April 03, 2006 23:09      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. [Frown]

The other day I was driving and saw the exact same thing happen to the car in front of me. It's was awful, but nothing the driver could do, it happened in a split second.

It's really unfortunate these dogs were running loose. At least you weren't physically hurt, although I know you will be shaken up for a long time. [Frown]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 23:35      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brutal!

When I was a teen, a family friend called me in a panic her family dog had been hit and she was home alone with her young kids. I drove over and found the dog in the ditch. I don't think it was still alive, broken back and legs (among other nastyness) and we lived way out in the sticks so a vet wasn't really an option. I buried that poor old dog in their backyard with tears streaming down my face, I could hear her and the kids crying from inside the house.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 07:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awful. And I think it's a matter of time until the same thing happens to a cat in my neighbourhood.

The cats on my road think they own the road. They'll sit in the middle of the road, you can drive up, and stop 3 feet from them, and they'll just sit there and look at you as if to say, "go around."

You can honk or inch up or anything and theyll just sit there. The only way to get 'em to move is to physically get out of the car, and shoo them away.

I almost hit a canada goose the other day, as well. A female decided she was crossing the busy street full of traffic, and she was going on *HER* time, nobody else's.

And I'll be damned if she didn't get across safely.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 07:40      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that's terrible. I'm so sorry. Just remember that there was nothing else you could have done. Had you swerved, you might have caused a major accident and hurt yourself or people in the other car. At least it was quick and the dog didn't have to suffer. It would have been awful if he'd been in pain and you had to try to take him to a vet or make a decision to end his misery. It does suck that he didn't have any ID. But, at the same time, I can't imagine going to someone's house to tell them I'd just hit their dog and it was dead. My dad ran over my grandma's neighbor's dog several years ago. It was a beautiful, sweet dog that I'd known since childhood and really loved. It absolutely broke my dad's heart to tell the neighbor the dog was dead. He was crying even a day later when he told me about it. This is why I keep my dogs and even cats safely in the house, unless they're in the yard and being supervised.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted April 04, 2006 12:14      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo

I know that really sucks. I was having coffee earlier this winter at my usual dispensery. One of the puppies that the homeless folk around here got loose. The poor thing was struck by an on-coming car right in front of us. We all saw it happen in slow motion.

The girls in the group were traumatized, as was the homeless girl who lost her companion. She was a wreck. I was not in good shape either. I had called the cops as the driver sped off without stopping.

I Applaud you that you stopped and made the effort to try and find a dog tag. Unlike the other driver, you showed compassion.

[Edited for errors]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 13:07      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo

That's awful news. It is a tragedy that what was probably a perfectly healthy animal is now dead - but the bigger picture here is that there was no car-crash and no people injured or even killed. It must have been an awful thing to experience, but swerving at 55mph to avoid a dog would have only led to a much bigger tragedy. Without any ID on the dog there was little you could do - I hope this unfortunate incident doesn't prey on your mind for too long.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 01:11      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch, that WAS a bad night. [Frown]
can you put up some posters or something so somebody knows where the dog is?

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 01:18      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 13:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry, Bibo. I know it is hard even though you couldn't avoid it. Hugs
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 16:06      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear that, Bibo. I know it doesn't help much, but you did everything you could -- very few people are compassionate enough to stop and check for a collar in a situation like that.

Take care, and please don't beat yourself up about a tragedy you had no control over...

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 22:55      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone, it's been a rough few days seeing it happen over and over in my head. It was still on the shoulder the next day up until 6:30pm, but was gone at midnight when I drove home from work. Either the owner or the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) picked it up.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 19:12      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Mel Gibson in "The Patriot", dog is "good eatin".
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 20:36      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH wow... I remember one of my first times driving. I was takign a bunch of friends to a park when out of no where thsi squirrel just runs in front of us. No one else saw it, so when I screamed and came to a screeching halt, they didn't quite understand what I was doing. I sat there freaked out for a bit ( I dod NOT hit it) before it finally moved. I remember I was shocked and kept yelling "OMG I almost hit it," and my friends were like, "well you DIDNT, so get the hell out of the road!" lol.
So sorry to hear that.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 20:47      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
OH wow... I remember one of my first times driving. I was takign a bunch of friends to a park when out of no where thsi squirrel just runs in front of us. No one else saw it, so when I screamed and came to a screeching halt, they didn't quite understand what I was doing. I sat there freaked out for a bit ( I dod NOT hit it) before it finally moved. I remember I was shocked and kept yelling "OMG I almost hit it," and my friends were like, "well you DIDNT, so get the hell out of the road!" lol.
So sorry to hear that.

Here, while you are taking driver's ed at the school, they actually pay you something like $10.00 to hit squirrells. Not because they have anything against the squirrels themselves, but because it's safer to keep going straight and flatten a chunky rodent than to swerve out of the way or brake suddenly to save its life.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2006 20:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had come to a screeching halt the day I hit a groundhog, the tractor trailer truck behind me that finished it off would've flattened me. So keep moving and kill the thing if you need to. It's better that than making yourself a hazard to other drivers and pedestrians, potentially killing people.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted April 06, 2006 21:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, that's a bummer but it sounds like the alternatives were worse.

In driver's ed I was told to hit smaller animals. Larger ones, like deer, OTOH, are best avoided as you'll probably hurt yourself in the process of killing the deer. My mom has a friend who lost her spleen in an accident involving a deer and my boss totaled a car by hitting an elk (luckily, none of the humans got hurt).

This did not stop me from braking hard for a family of quails crossing the road once. Fortunately there was no one behind me. They were really cute too.

I have not hit any animals with a car. I did come close to mowing down a squirrel on my bike once and my brother came very close to stepping on a chipmunk a few years ago. We were walking along a trail and suddenly we heard this loud squeak and then there was a chipmunk running out from under my brother's boot, which was a few inches off the ground. We have no idea wtf that chipmunk thought it was doing. Playing chicken maybe?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 09:45      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
...In driver's ed I was told to hit smaller animals. Larger ones, like deer, OTOH, are best avoided as you'll probably hurt yourself in the process of killing the deer....

I totaled a car avoiding a deer many years ago. I crested a hill one night and there she was in the middle of my lane. No one was coming the other way so I instinctively swerved around to the left. I think my back corner clipped her, though, becuase next thing I knew we were spinning into the guardrail. Luckily no humans were hurt. The deer disappeared, probably down the embankment. Maybe it wasn't even really hurt.

Anyway, the officer who responded told us it was better to hit a deer straight on. Yes, it might come up the hood, but is highly unlikely to enter the cabin. If you try to avoid there is a very good chance you will lose control of the vehicle.

I tried his advice a couple years ago when another deer appeared in the middle of a four lane, non-divided, fairly busy road and finally decided my lane was the best spot to go. Our five-month-old Honda Pilot came out with a a bit of exterior front end damage, with no other vehicles involved. Granted the Pilot is much larger and higher than the Mazda Protege the first time around, but all in all I tend to agree with the "hit it dead on" approach.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 09:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
I totaled a car avoiding a deer many years ago......

Maybe try changing your av [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 11:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

I had to turn on graphics to see that, but it was worth it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 19:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

I had to turn on graphics to see that, but it was worth it. [Big Grin]
Heh, I was a bit slow to catch on, but yeah, good point! [blush]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture