homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Twenty Three and a half Months (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Twenty Three and a half Months
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 11:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twenty three and a half months, strange sound to it don't you think? Many of you know that I retired twenty five months ago. While I was working we would often talk about the old timers and how they were doing, some of us were able to keep in touch with some of them. One of the things I remember was a comment one soon to retire old guy said. The Social Security Administration has the numbers that say: If you retire at age Sixty two, that you will probably draw eighteen years of benefit's, wait until you are age sixty five and draw eighteen months, as Frank said it's your call.

So now we are back to twenty three and a half months, that was the time I had retired that was totally worry free, for you see I have been suspected to have prostate cancer. Back in January my PSA was 4.8 a repeat was done and it was slightly higher so you see the reason for twenty three and a half months.

I sometimes feel like going off and hiding, others I feel like that song live "like you're dying". I do know most of the options, Cryogenics's extreme cold, Hormone Therapy, Radiation and of course Surgery, Hey wait a minute this is my body that suddenly became a patient, I'm scared, You want to do what to me, when did my own body turn against me, was it back in my drinking days, I sure felt like my own body was rejecting me then.

What do I do now, buck up and face the music, what music, who is playing the music and is it tunes I like? Truthfully what happens next?

Well last night I set the alarm clock for 5:00 AM, but this morning I wake up at 4:30 wide awake mind you, might as well get up and go to the Dr's, for what he has planned for me. An ultra-sound and Needle Biopsy. For this fun I need an enema, oh joy oh joy. well I got that over with eat breakfast dress and with great fear head of to the Urologists office. This place is packed they have eight Dr's. practicing out of one office, Hey wait why do they call it practice shouldn't't they be past that, I mean do they still need practice. Have they not yet turned pro.

My name is called and with great fear and trepidation I follow the aide. Strip from the waist down and put on this gown, opening at the back, this changing room is smaller than a closet, I tell her I am changed. I really want to tell her I've changed my mind about the whole deal but numbly follow her into her den of terror. While entering the room I scope out what I can see, I was at one time an OR tech. nope nothing big that I can see. In comes the Doctor likable chap he seems to be, please face the wall, we exchange that I would like him to remove his watch to which he says I won't be reaching in that far. I have been told that the instrument is about the diameter of a broom handle. What way Diameter or length, when did they sneak in a telephone pole, damn that hurts, relax, like you can when some one is jamming a telephone pole up your butt. You know the old expression bite the bullet, well it would have gone off. Now he tells me I will hear a sound like a mousetrap going off. WHAT. That hurts, about number eight I can tell when it is going to go off, thats worse cause now I know when it is going to hurt. He finally pulls out the light pole, "if you do not hear from us in two weeks, call us we plan on calling you when we get the result from this biopsy, I don't see any thing that looks bad just normal prostate enlargement." says the fine Dr.

We now have a two hour drive home and my sitter downer hurts I mean HURTS. I can feel what I think is a fart, but is it. I have also been warned that I Might pass blood, and to not strain myself, shit this fart hurts, it feels like I got kneed in the groin, got to fart and let water all at once, and we are still thirty minutes from home. Finally I get the jeans off and sit down on the throne, damn that was a big fart, hear comes another, that feels better. So to all concerned I hopefully have an enlarged prostate and do not have to be worrying about becoming a patient.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 11:36      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan

What can I say? It's always bad news when someone has to go through this stuff and I'm sorry to hear that this is how the deck has been cut for you.

Obviously, we all want the same diagnosis for you as you want yourself, but I imagine that there will be plenty of worrying to do before the all-clear comes. I hope that the flashes of humour in your post are a sign that you are dealing with this difficult situation in a positive and pragmatic way.

I'm sure I won't be the only one wishing you the best of luck, and the best of healthcare, for the future.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 12:22      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how the cancer scares go, we have enough of them in my family. I've felt my heart drop to my feet more times than I care to recall, all you can do is stay positive and hope that it all ends up alright. I'm with Grummy with the wishing you best of luck.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 12:48      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo Man...

My father went through this whole deal last year... and yeah he reckoned some of the tests were the worst things he can remember enduring (and this is a man who spent 18 months in traction with smashed lower legs in the 60s).

In his case age related prostate enlargement was diagnosed - it won't be a problem unless you get so you can't pee they said... a few weeks later he wakes in the night and can't pee... inside an hour he is doubled up in pain and has to be ambulanced to A&E for a catheterisation... in the longer term this was, in a strange twist of fate, actually a good thing - as the consultants then decided to schedule him for a prostate reduction operation "fast track" style. It took a few weeks for him to get back to normal but he is now fit and well at 72.

Course that isn't to say he and the rest of the family didn't have a few sleepless nights over the possibility of it being something rather more serious while he/we waited for the results of endoscopies and biopsies and x-rays and lord knows what other tests...

So all the best Mo Man and here is hoping for nothing more serious than just an enlarged prostate... the tests are unpleasant and the not knowing more unpleasant... I will think only good thoughts for you.

Try not to worry about it too much (like that advice is worth the pixels it takes up!!!) and hopefully you will get the all clear asap.

Good luck Mo Man...

[Frown]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 16, 2006 13:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer.

(I hope that cheers you up a little. [Smile] )

Rats, I'm sorry to hear about this MoMan, but hopefully things will turn out OK. Keep us posted.

some stats..
What Are the Key Statistics About Prostate Cancer?

Prostate cancer is the most common cancer, excluding skin cancers, in American men. The American Cancer Society (ACS) estimates that during 2006 about 234,460 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed in the United States. About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime, but only 1 man in 34 will die of this disease. A little over 1.8 million men in the United States are survivors of prostate cancer.

so wow, yeah this is going to effect a lot of us, so we appreciate you sharing your story. (especially in such an entertaining fashion.) All the best. [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 13:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should be a writer. Despite the topic at hand, I was still entertained by what you wrote.

On a more serious note, here's hoping what the doctor thinks is right. Keep us updated, and I hope you live another 100 years. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 14:25      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really not sure what to say, other than what everyone else already has -- I hope that the doctor's first impression is correct, and you come out of everyhting OK. Please keep us updated here; it's going to be a long, anxiety-filled two weeks, but...

we're here for you, MoMan.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 17:30      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, I have no idea whether anything posted here will offer you any comfort, but I'm gonna give it my best shot.

Heart bypass surgery is the most commonly performed surgery in the USA these days. It hurts like hell, but is successful most of the time. The pain of the surgical wounds never totally subsides, but it gets very liveable and after awhile it is almost like packing around a couple of old friends. And the surgery gives you the hope of or chance to enjoy your spouse, grandkids and the beauty of the Creation for some more years. (Personal experience).

Skin cancer scares the hell out of me. Some of the surgery can hurt like hell. Most of it isn't too bad. But finding a new lesion or a sore that doesn't heal right or look right or feel right still cramps up my guts because, once you have the history, you know what's comin'. (Personal experience and I've got two spots that need to be dealt with sooner rather than later right now. Dang!)

Never had prostate problems (yet) but the PSA is getting a bit worrisome to say the least. You're probably not gonna believe this, but from friends (including one doctor who is also a patient) who've gotten the bad news, what you've already been through is most often the worst part of the whole ordeal - and that's if the diagnosis is not good. True, you aren't out of the woods yet, old-Timer, but what you should be assured of right now is that you've already survived some pretty tough procedures. You're plenty tough to endure whatever else comes with it.

None of which is to say that a healthy faith life should be ignored, as the comfort afforded by it is not available elsewhere. To that end, I'll be adding you and your situation to my prayers. May God Bless You and Keep You.

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 18:36      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing all sorts of things about the PSA test being an inaccurate indicator of prostate cancer. The doctor's reaction also seems reassuring.

Hopefully it's nothing.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 16, 2006 19:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, it sounds like you received something akin to a colonoscopy. Typically patients are unconscious during those procedures. I can't imagine being awake for something like what you described!

I'm somewhat confused about what the doctor actually did: Am I correct in thinking he performed a biopsy of your prostate? If so, did he puncture the bowel wall to get to it? I'm guessing that hole isn't so large as to cause problems in your abdomen from things escaping.

Why do men have prostates? What's their function?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 20:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My condolences on the waiting game MoMan. This part always sucks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Rhonnie, wikipedia is your friend (not quite SFW...it's not overtly sexual but it is graphic).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 20:27      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Rhonnie, wikipedia is your friend (not quite SFW...it's not overtly sexual but it is graphic).

I was afraid of that, so I didn't go searching. [ohwell]

I'll have to check out the link when I get home tonight. Thanks, Xanthine! [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 21:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, man...sorry to hear that. I hope it's all just a fluke, and all that was just to prove that you're actually in good shape.

Best of health to you!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 21:46      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth: http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/16/2357204

If you like spicy food, maybe it's worth hitting the hot stuff...just in case.

TdaG

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 17, 2006 19:36      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
some stats..
only 1 man in 34 will die of this disease.

Hey MoMan, even once my father got the bad news his doctor said, "This isn't what's going to kill you so stop thinking about that."

And even after some complications during surgery that led to a cryo procedure instead, dad's doing great... He wishes he'd done the cryo first but he's doing great and he's symptom free.

Keep up the good humor and we should all "live like we were dying" even if we aren't any time soon.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 22:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I don't see any thing that looks bad just normal prostate enlargement." says the fine Dr....

...So to all concerned I hopefully have an enlarged prostate and do not have to be worrying about becoming a patient.

MoMan, I went through something similar a few years back with my thyroid, they had to cut half of it out to find out that it was a harmless Thyroid Adenoma, not a nasty Thyroid Carcinoma ("What's the difference between an Adenoma and a Carcinoma?" I asked, "About 30 years" my surgeon replied. Just what I needed, a quack who thinks he's Groucho Marx)

I know it's not fun being told it's "probably not cancer" and the wait for the final answer can be nerve-wracking, but these days most quacks actually do know what they're talking about, so just sit back, open a cold beer, and take it easy until the answer comes in. (and if you manage to follow that advice, let me know how you did it)

As for the fun procedure you've just endured, why not do what Billy Connolly did, send your doctor flowers on your anniversary [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2006 12:14      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, can't add anything profound to say on prostates. My grandfather died with but not of it though. I've heard that is common. Men often have these prostate issues, but it isn't fatal. Still none of the surgical options is much fun.

I will be thinking strong thoughts that it is only a bit enlarged. If it won't offend you, I will add you to the prayer list at church.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2006 13:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hear saw palmetto is good for maintaining prostate health.

quote:
In modern times, much research has been done on extract made from the fruits which are highly enriched with fatty acids and phytosterols. This research has been the subject of a thorough meta-analysis published in the medical journal JAMA and has been shown effective for the treatment of men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlargement of the prostate) compared to placebo and the two major categories of drugs used for men with this condition.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 18, 2006 21:58      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there probably isn't much that any of us can say that will take away the anxiety. Waiting to hear is the worst part. However, when you do find out what your doctor says, whether it's good or bad we'll all be here to cheer you on. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say we'll all offer moral support, whatever happens.

Until then I will say a prayer for you and hope that your prognosis is positive.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 04:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All_______________________________Last week I informed all of you about some health problems that had reared their head.

_______________________I do have HBP (high Blood Pressure) undercontrol at present.
_______________________I also have BPH (Benign Prostrate Hyperplasty) not bad enough to do any thing about,

_______________________So in effect I have been given a reprive.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 06:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awesome news (right?). Good to hear it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 08:52      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awwww, it's not total news for celebration, but it's better than the other way! I hope you feel better!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 23, 2006 11:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phew. [thumbsup]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 13:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan - result! [Applause]

I'm taking "under control" and "benign" as the key words here. It's not perfect, but it's not the worst-case scenario either. [Smile] Hope it works out ok.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 13:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurray!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture