homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Pech

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pech
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 04:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a blind man walk into an upright support today. I feel bad because I said nothing. I just stared at him as he collided with the steel I-beam. There were about two seconds were I could have said something to warn him of the obstacle. I donít know why I didnít. Hereís how it happened.
I was walking to my train via an underground connection under the Zurich HB. This wide tunnel has support beams lining the middle of the passage. This section of the train station does not have the white bumps in the floor that the sight impaired use to navigate most Swiss train stations. As the blind man was walking with his cane, swinging it back and forth to find obstacles, he approached the pillar, which was to his left. Unfortunately, as he approached the support, his cane swung to his right side. The tip of it just missed touching the corner of the support. With his cane to the right of him, he stepped forward into the beam. The left side of his body smacked the support. He bounced back with a smile and walked around the obstacle to catch his train.
I wonder if I had said something would it have made a difference. It still takes several seconds for my brain to convey anything into German speech. I think the lesson to be learned here is not to ponder what may have occurred. The lesson here is that when God, fate, Pech, or chance smacks you in the face with an I-beam. You should just smile and keep on going because there is nothing you can do about it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 07:48      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for that Zen story.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 09:19      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a good lesson to take from it.

I wonder what I'd have done... would I have said something? I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure... I'd have probably hoped that someone else would instead.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 09:19      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
It still takes several seconds for my brain to convey anything into German speech.

You could've just yelled "achtung! kopf, i-beam, schmerz!" - I'm sure the guy would've undestood [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 10:34      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think another lesson is that some people are so used to getting smacked in the face that it doesn't bother them much when it happens anymore. [Razz]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 12:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I think another lesson is that some people are so used to getting smacked in the face that it doesn't bother them much when it happens anymore. [Razz]

There's a 'yo mama' joke in there somewhere that I am leaving alone. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
JCrudent66
Geek Larva
Member # 4517

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted March 08, 2006 18:06      Profile for JCrudent66     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

I wonder if I had said something would it have made a difference. It still takes several seconds for my brain to convey anything into German speech.

-Think about it, anytime you see somthing that is about to happen in a split-second, you get speechless. By the time your raise your arm and open your mouth to get anyones attention -its happened. Maybe its a good thing that you didn't say anything either, because its like many things. If you hold a baby's hand for their entire life, they'll prolly never be able to walk on their own, but if you let them try by themselves and fall over and over, eventually they'll get it, and still have minor mishaps. Its just part of everyone's developing. This man learned his lesson...scan with his stick a little faster back and forth, and look out for beams at the train station [Big Grin]

--------------------
John

Posts: 24 | From: WITSA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture