homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Showtunes anyone? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Showtunes anyone?
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 17:59      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am into musicals, musical theatre, Broadway shows (though I've never actually seen one ON Broadway), etc etc etc.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else on here cares for them.

Among my favorites are

Sweeney Todd
Bye Bye Birdie
Caberet (The revival with Alan Cummings. I think Joel Gray is overrated and the movie was god awful)
The Phantom of the Opera (in all it's forms...except for Sarah Brightman that woman CANNOT SING OMG!!!)
The King and I
Okalahoma
Finnian's Rainbow

and the list goes on.

Those were just the first few that jumped to mind. [Smile]

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 18:08      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spamalot!!!
</thread>

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 18:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd add Les Misérables and Avenue Q, but you hit most of my favorites. I actually prefer the silent movie version of The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney to the musical, but I like the musical too.

I'd like to see Wicked and Spamalot, but I don't know when or if I'll be able to.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 22:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MandysRad:
The Phantom of the Opera (in all it's forms...except for Sarah Brightman that woman CANNOT SING OMG!!!)

I got to watch that one from the control room backstage. I'ts amazing how primitive some of the special effects look when viewed through the infra-red camera.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 22:46      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Into the Woods
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 05:09      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aspects of Love
Chess

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 07:03      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wicked is, uh, wicked. And Newsies! How can we forget Newsies! Little Shop of Horrors, anyone?
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 07:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phantom of the Opera
Grease
West Side Story

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 08:48      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phantom of the Opera
Into the Woods
Company
Les Miserables
Chicago

And I really love the music from The Secret Garden, even though I don't really like the actual play.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 09:05      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Saigon gets me antsy in my pantsy

I didn't like the many reprises in Phantom otherwise it wasn't half bad.

Masquerade was probably one of the best.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 10:04      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Wicked is, uh, wicked.

*Masshole high-five!*

I rarely see musicals in the theater, mostly because I'm poor and live theater is expensive. I caught The Producers, which rocked, and saw Miss Saigon and Hairspray off-Broadway recently, which also rocked.

Other than that, my musicals are pretty much limited to what the movie industry cranks out.

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 12:54      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Wicked. Sometimes I just want to sing "Nothing matters, but knowing nothing matters is just life, so keep dancing through!"

I like the Rogers and Hammerstein version of Cinderella, even if nobody else does. "Are you the sweet invention of a lover's dream, or are you really as wonderful as you seem?"

Our school does a musical revue every year, so I get to see a sampling of numbers from various shows. I really really liked one song from Songs for a New World, I can't remember what the title of the song was though.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 13:05      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to say Les Mis, and then Fiddler On The Roof. I only got to see the first act of Fiddler because the theater flooded, the second I saw on film. (nothing close to the stage production)

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 14:33      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate Andrew LLoyd Webber and indeed pretty much all that followed him. The best musical of all is "Guys and Dolls", although most of the numbers do not stand up well when taken out of the context of the show, but what a show! It is worth watching even when performed indifferently, and if done well it'll give you an evening you'll never forget.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 11 posted March 06, 2006 18:15      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whooo-OOOOOH !!
Somebody is on FIRE if you know what I mean .

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 18:17      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my bad, I didn't know you were a girl, hehe.
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 18:24      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
Whooo-OOOOOH !!

Hey man, gay jokes aren't going to go over so well here.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 19:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
Whooo-OOOOOH !!

Your all gay. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 12:26      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just as well that the joke kind of fell through. I didn't get it till I read the other posts. >.<

I can't believe I forgot about Avenue Q, Spamalot AND Chicago. I sang Razzle Dazzle when I auditioned for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

I'd just like to take this time to say that I CANNOT STAND JOSEPH! The songs are the kind that are likely to get stuck in your head and drive you insane for a week then, on top of that the lyrics look like they were written by a three year old.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of Weber's work but Tim Rice... GRRR! I like Evita and the Lion King but I don't know what he was thinking when he wrote Joseph.

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 15:52      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of Weber's work but Tim Rice... GRRR!

You should check out Laibach's cover of "Jesus Christ Superstar."

No, seriously, it rocks.

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 16:35      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of Weber's work but Tim Rice... GRRR!

You should check out Laibach's cover of "Jesus Christ Superstar."

No, seriously, it rocks.

I prefer Mansono's "Antichrist Superstar" to be perfectly honest.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 19:47      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, someone good ones there.

No one mentioned CATS.....I like it for the different styles of music within the same Musical! Although not enough Chorus numbers for my likeing.

Other favourites (that have already been mentioned)
Les Mis
Phantom
Westside Story
Boy from Oz
Sound of Music (hey, I got dragged along to a sing-a-long sound of music and I'm still scarred from the experience!)
The Mikado
The Pirates of Penzance

As far as Andrew Lloyd Weber is concerned, I think he has done some fantastic work! Pretty much single-handedly he's revived the musical business from re-plays of Rogers and Hammerstein! Yes, each one varies as to how people view it, but the music in Phantom is superb!

MandysRad: ROFL about the music getting stuck in the head! adlib: I wore my cloak.....with golden lining......

But also don't forget the other masters.....Rogers and Hammerstein and Gilbert and Sullivan. I try to see these as often as I can, just rarely now unfortunately.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 21:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<sings>
It's just a jump to the left...
</sings>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2006 03:50      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin Hood: Men in Tights

It's a musical and a comedy. What more could you want?

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2006 05:13      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lucky enough to be in Toronto when Paul Stanley (yes, as in the lead singer of KISS) was singing the part of the Phantom. It truly was a great show. I was actually surprised with how well he can sing.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture