homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My Annual Lent Thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My Annual Lent Thread
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 03, 2006 22:01      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's that time once again, Mardi Gras has ended and it's time for prayer, fasting, and charity! WOO HOO!! [Big Grin]

So, maybe I'm a little crazy for actually liking Lent, but it's kind of like a second chance to get in those new years resolutions that you've been slacking on for two months now. Plus, you can squeeze in some spiritual enrichment activities and use the oppourtunity to revitalize your withered will-power and flex it a bit before it dries up into nothing.

You're asking by now: "So, Kris, just what the heck DID you give up for Lent?"

First there's the "Lenten Diet" category: no sweets (save for special occasions, 'tis rude to refuse a piece of birthday cake), no junk food (chips/crisps, peanuts, fritos, cheeze puffs/kurls, etc), no pop (a.k.a. soda), no eating between meals, no caffeine

Then there's the "self control" cateory: 1, and only 1, visit to the GeekCulture Forums daily, only 1 hour of online liesure time daily (incl. IRC, AIM, and web surfing).

So, it's likely you'll all see a lot less of me around here for the next 6 weeks, it's also likely a higher percentage of my homework will be done in advance of the due date. I consider this a first step toward curbing my Internet addiction.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2006 03:35      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to always gi give up television for lent. Well not as much for lent but as an excuse to improve my grades leading into finals. I always did better in the spring semesters.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2006 07:07      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the third year in a row-my lent joke:

Did you hear about the guy who gave up masturbation for lent?
He couldn't wait for Palm Sunday!

Thank you, thank you...Be sure to tip your servers... [Big Grin]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2006 20:17      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up giving up things.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 00:14      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up religion for Lent about ten years ago...

...and never looked back. [Big Grin]

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 16:50      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not going the "giving up something" route. I'm dedicating myself to a more vigerous PT regiment.
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 17:20      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought about you at mass this morning. Father gave a really good sermon and talked about the original greek word used instead of repent. It had to do with knowledge and change. He spoke about that and Lent.

I used to give stuff up for lent. I try changing or doing something during Lent now. In someways change is even harder.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 21:56      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm making a few changes too, but those I don't talk about in public. And, as I said, I am planning to use this as a first step toward my release from my Internet addiciton. As it is, I am finding it VERY hard to not click on the "Geek Culture TAT" bookmark I have on my home page every few minutes.

"Repent" is interesting. Essentally when you learn something new, a new truth, if you truly learn it, you shouldn't be able to not change in some way; that is the true nature of learning and growth. Actually admitting you need to change is a whole other beast.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 22:08      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I thought about you at mass this morning. Father gave a really good sermon and talked about the original greek word used instead of repent. It had to do with knowledge and change. He spoke about that and Lent.

I used to give stuff up for lent. I try changing or doing something during Lent now. In someways change is even harder.

You may find that my thoughts are not of the usually public. I think and I think a lot.

What good does it do for me other than proving myself to be disclipined to give somehting up that I know I can do. It seems that most people use lent to deprive themselves of the common glutteny of the civilized culture and the day palm sunday comes around most revert back.

How is that doing anything productive. It is like going on the Atkins diet, it is just hindering yourself in the future.

I am doing something that I know I will continue in the future.

Last year I realized this all when I became a vegatarian and noticed how malnutritioned I had become.

Change is good. It makes life worth living. Would I have probably begun with my PT regiment anyway? most likely, but I used lent as a time to notarize it. Make it official. I have a schedule, a diet, protien supplements.

I love chicken.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2006 22:25      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka: I know this has nothing to do with lent, but that's one awesome signature.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 02:41      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lent is an excellent idea even for those without faith. Rather than thinking of it as giving things up, use it as an opportunity to look closely at how you spend your time and try to cut out some of the inessential and trivial, so that you can spend more time and effort on that which is more important and rewarding, de-cluttering your life.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 04:44      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Lent is an excellent idea even for those without faith. Rather than thinking of it as giving things up, use it as an opportunity to look closely at how you spend your time and try to cut out some of the inessential and trivial, so that you can spend more time and effort on that which is more important and rewarding, de-cluttering your life.

Well said Calli
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 07:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
I gave up religion for Lent about ten years ago...

...and never looked back. [Big Grin]

You stole my line.

Good job. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 23:17      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jeffatwork:
I am a fairly new convert to the Catholic faith (last Easter), but I have been observing lent with my wife since we have been together, as moral support. Now that I have had a chance to study and reflect on the season myself, I lean away from the "chocolate and soda" camp. In my understanding, this is the time to make yourself more Christ-like.
In that vein, I have given up sex for Lent.
?? !!!

Wow. I'm no longer a Christian, myself, but have you considered the whole "keep having sex unless you stop to pray, so you don't fall into temptation" business that Paul mentions in one of the NT letters (can't remember offhand which one)? I'd seriously consider whether this is a wise thing to do.

On the libido difference issue thing, it's not an uncommon thing. In my experience, women's libidos are far less static and predictable than male ones. To put it another way, if she's got a lot on her plate in life generally at the moment, her libido may well suffer. Hopefully once things settle down a bit, it will jump up to some extent.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 07:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wish me luck, please. [Smile]

You got it. Good fsckin' luck. [Razz]
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 08:50      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am a fairly new convert to the Catholic faith (last Easter), but I have been observing lent with my wife since we have been together, as moral support. Now that I have had a chance to study and reflect on the season myself, I lean away from the "chocolate and soda" camp. In my understanding, this is the time to make yourself more Christ-like.
In that vein, I have given up sex for Lent.
?? !!!
Yes. And my wife fully supports me. One of the biggest issues in our marriage is the incompatibility of our libidos. Mine is over the top, hers seems below the scale. I am taking this opportunity for us to work on our intimacy without the emotions associated with the give and take of sexual negotiations. I am hoping to come out of this with a better understanding of her side of things, and a better way of resolving the issue.
Wish me luck, please. [Smile]

If you have not already done so, you may find great help for this in Pope Benedict XVI's recent Encyclical: Deus Caritas Est. It is a worthwhile read for many reasons and includes an excellent discussion of marital love and practice. It is available as a free PDF download on most Diocesan websites. If you can't find it elsewhere you could get it here (the Vatican site).

To be able to practice celibacy for the purpose of clearer and closer communion with God is a great and noble desire, one which contributes to the develpoment of personal holiness. (It is one of the heroic virtues) To succeed it helps to be able to fully regard it as gift (charism). The scriptures that csk alludes to reflect St. Paul's way of saying that celibacy is not for everyone at all times, (many have the vocation to marriage for the purpose of procreation and to show forth sacrificial love, including periods of sexual abstinence), but that it rewards the celibates themselves with spiritual fruits not attainable in other ways. It requires a great outpouring of God's grace.

I will pray for this grace to be given you during your Lenten fast. (Luck has nothing to do with it... [Big Grin] ) gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 10:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In that case I'm going to keep my desk de-cluttered for Lent.

Only those who have actually seen my desk will appreciate how hard this is going to be.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 10:03      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have two categories. The stuff I'm giving up for lent category and the self imporvement category. I'm not going to discuss the self improvement category directly but the two things that I am giving up are in support of one of my self improvement items.

That self improvement item is diet and exercise, and I have identified two bad habits at work that contribute to my dietary problems. Those habits are going to the breakroom in the company library and getting a candy bar from the machine anywhere from 2 to 6 times a day, and getting soda from the free Pepsi fountain in that breakroom often as frequently as once an hour. So yes, my stuff that I am giving up is in the "chocolate and soda" camp that jeffatwork mentioned, but I chose these two things because they are the two worst dietary habits contributing to my weight problems at present. I hope to have successfully broken these two habits and not return to them after lent.

Now, since I gave up soda I had to make another choice, how do I get my caffiene. Do I start drinking coffee again, which I broke myself of the habit of several years ago? Do I substitue another caffiene drink, like tea? I actually decided to add caffiene to my list of things I have given up for lent. Compared to giving up chocolate, giving up caffiene is insane. I am going through some serious caffiene withdrawal right now. The main symptom that I am aware of is the headaches. There are other symptoms, but I don't notice them much through the headaches. I suffered through these when I was giving up coffee, and I believe that is when I picked up my soda habit.

I hope that when lent is over, I will have kicked my caffiene addiction as well as my chocolate and soda habits. If so then I will be well on my way to better dietary habits, part of one of my self improvement items, and I will be free from caffiene for the first time since I first got hooked on it when I was in the Marines.

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 10:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

Only those who have actually seen my desk will appreciate how hard this is going to be.

Hahahahahhahaha....sorry....but you've seen my desk... [Razz]

/me scoffs at the 'cluttered' desk cited above. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 21:45      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Rogers:
I hope that when lent is over, I will have kicked my caffiene addiction as well as my chocolate and soda habits. If so then I will be well on my way to better dietary habits, part of one of my self improvement items, and I will be free from caffiene for the first time since I first got hooked on it when I was in the Marines.

I gave up coffee for lent last year. I'd been, to that point, drinking at least one cup of coffee every morning since the age of 3. I was VERY hooked, but now cafiene is not a real problem for me. I still enjoy the taste of coffee, but I certainly don't *need* it to function.

One of the best things I found, after about two or three weeks of being cafiene free, I started to get into a regular sleep pattern, something I'd never had before. I was able to get to sleep within 15 minutes of lying down, rather than 45 or more, and I slept so well that when I woke up in the morning, I actually felt rested and awake without needing my cup of coffee. Getting to that point was hell, though, I was a tired, cranky bastard for two weeks.

Cafiene has it's uses, it's great if you need a quick pick-me-up to jolt you into a project where you need a little extra energy, but to use it with necessary regularity is excessive and actually very addicive behavior.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 05:46      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up Atheism for lent.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 06:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
I gave up Atheism for lent.

that's funny, I gave up lent for atheism.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 11:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

Hahahahahhahaha....sorry....but you've seen my desk... [Razz]

/me scoffs at the 'cluttered' desk cited above. [Wink]

Dude, you have not seen my desk recently. You have ot seen my desk since I as a neat and organized first year. It's gone down hill since then. I wish I had a digital camera so I could take a picture and show you my new low. I need to get on it - I have experimental results in one of those piles.

My desk is a fscking disaster. It's covered in paper witha clear spot where the Pismo and my hands sit. The little pull-out thing that everyone else uses as a footrest for napping? I use it as another place to stack paper. I don't know where it comes from. It multiplies. My papers are having orgies while I'm home sleeping and then they have babies. It is the laughing stock of the floor. It would be the laughing stock of the division except not enough people come all the way up here to visit. It is the yardstick my labmates hold themselves against when they're feeling bad about their own desks. When I tell my advisor I put something on my desk he gives it up for lost. My bench is also a mess. Not that that prevents people from running off with my stuff...

The irony is, while my personal space is really ugly, I'm compulsive about cleaning up after myself in the common areas.

Edit: It's clean now. So's my benchtop.

Phew.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 12:17      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2006 18:39      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I personally am not, half my family is Catholic, so I've had parts of this discussion before. More recently, my SO and I were talking about it a week or so ago.

My perspective:
If I'm planning to give something up for my own personal enlightenment, I'm probably not going to get too much out of it knowing that I'll just get whatever I gave back in about a month and a half. If I'm going to give something up, I'll try to get rid of it for good, so I focus more on negative aspects of my personality.

This year, I'm trying to make sure I don't consider myself better than anyone else. While I don't think I do it that often to begin with, I'm rather competitive, so I know I've said some things that I probably shouldn't have (mostly only to myself).

Now that that's out of the way, I'll join the cluttered desk argument, though I'll probably lose:

-

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture