homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » MMKK gets mugged

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MMKK gets mugged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 21, 2006 22:49      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short version: Went for a walk, got surrounded by 5 black kids, got punched in the face twice, someone broke up the scene, I'm okay, I still have the $2.03 that was in my pocket when it all started.

Long version (which I intend to use for my Oral Interp class, so 'twill be quite wordy): Tuesday I decided to go for a nice walk. I obviously need the exercise and it was sunny out and relatively warm. I put on my somewhat tattered flannel shirt and headed down the steps, out the door, and toward Michigan Street. I had not the faintest clue as to what lie ahead of me.

It was five minutes to five, the sun was getting low in the western sky, but was still high enough to shine over most of the houses and buildings that I was walking past. These longer pre-spring days are a nice relief from the short, cold days of December and January.

I was headed tenatively to the Library on Whittaker Road, hoping that they would be able to help me find a piece of prose to perform for my Oral Interp class. I'd already told myself, though, that I wasn't going to walk for much longer than 30 minutes. I promised myself I would turn around after I'd walked for 15 and head back.

As I turned the corner onto Huron Street I admired the tallest building in Ypsilanti and took the time as I walked past to count the number of floors.

"Eleven? That seems like a strange number of floors to build!" I thought to myself.

I quickly realized that I had counted balconies instead of floors, forgetting about the first floor. Adding in the first floor makes twelve total, a much less suspicious number.

After walking for my requisite 15 minutes, I realized that I wasn't going to make it to the library in my 30 minute alottment; I hadn't even quite made it to I-94 yet and had another mile and a half to go. Since I hate to walk the same route twice, I turned down a street that I'd never gone down before, one that I can't even remember the name of. It looked like it'd take me back in the direction of my apartment, just via a different route. My inner adventurer was intrigued and I like to oblige him whenver possible.

This neighborhood seemed run down. The houses wern't in the best of shape and the sidewalks were cracked and broken. It reminded me of downtown Benton Harbor, only more residential. At one point I realized, or at least suspected, that there was a group of people following me. I heard the clicking of the bike that one of them was riding but never looked back to confirm my suspicion. I moved to the right of the sidewalk to give them room to get by me, but they never passed.

At one point one of them asked "why are you walking so fast?" I didn't know if they were talking to me or not, so I just kept walking. After several blocks, they caught up to me, five young black guys, and asked me to stop for a second. I obliged, not thinking too much of it. One of them, obviously the leader of the group asked me:

"What you doin' here?"

"Just out for a walk"

"Got any money?"

Now at this point my heart jumped into high gear and my brain went into panic mode. "What do they want from me? Are these kids just pan-handlers? Are they trying to mug me? Muggers don't ask people if they have money! I've never been in a situation like this... I'll just tell them the truth"

"No, man, I'm flat broke, I had to get four tires put on my car today, I've got nothin'" I embelished a bit, I only had to have one new tire put on, but I was still flat broke, I only had $2.03 in my pocket.

"Why you gotta' lie like dat?" he asks

"I'm not lyin', really, I got no mon..."

He punches me, square in the face! I never saw it coming! I'm shocked more than anything and scared to death

"man, what the.. I'm broke.. I don't have anyth..."

BAM! I earned another punch from one of the others and my brain really freaks. I don't stand a chance against these guys, are they going to beat me to death for two dollars and three cents?!

"calm down, man, calm down, I just..."

"HEY, WHAT THE HELL YOU DOIN'!" A woman screams from down the street.

The punks scatter and I realize I can't see. I mutter unconciously "My glasses, where are my glasses?" Just then I hear a *crunch* and I realize they have done the unthinkable to my 8 year old optical companions.

"Are you alright?!"

"Yeah, I'll be okay. Thanks!"

I round up my glasses some 3 yards away. The frames mangled, but the lenses intact. Thank God for polycarbonate. I put my glasses in my pocket and continue my walk home, doing my best to be unfazed by the expierence. If I change my plan because of them then, even in some small way, I've let them win.

On my walk home, amidst the fear I felt that they may come back and try again, I also felt a horrible deep sorrow. I can't get angry at them for attempting to mug me and beat me up without wondering why.

Why did they pick me?! Was this some race motivated hate-crime? Was I just a white guy in the wrong black neighborhood??

Why do they do this to begin with? I don't know their histories, I don't know their families, the people they played with when they were younger, or the music they listen to. Behavior is learned and I don't know when or why or how they learned to do this!

My one wish is that I get the chance to sit down with these boys and find out the answers to these questions. I know this will never happen, but I wish it could. I wish I could help them. I want to help them!!

How does society get so out of hand that so many fall through the cracks? How can we reach out to people who need it?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 21, 2006 23:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh crap!

Glad to hear your OK (well, as OK as you can be after that kind of experience. [Frown] )

/me awards the woman a medal. Magnificent Valour on her part.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 00:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Kris. I'm so glad nothing more serious happened to you. And I'm even more glad that you came out okay. Society baffles me, but as a Christian, I just chalk it up to the sin nature in everyone. We have our choices to make. Those guys made poor ones and unfortunately you had to suffer the consequences.

The argument for post-modern relativism—I can do anything 'cause what's right for me is right for me—doesn't jive with situations like this. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 01:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I suggest you invest in some capsaicin! And then walk the same neiborhood again.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 06:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sir, are a better man than I. If that happened to me, I'd go walking down this neighbourhood again, only carrying a large blatantly visible weapon.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
NetwerkGuy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2475

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 07:48      Profile for NetwerkGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah. That's crazy. Glad your OK though and not seriously injured. Could have been a lot worse if that woman hadn't broken it up. Sounds like one of those things you see it on TV but never think it will/would actually happen to you.

--------------------
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: /dev/null | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 09:43      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, that's awful. I'm glad you're ok now, though. You don't know what might have happened if that lady didn't scare them off.

It makes me sad that there are people like this in the world. As you said it is a learned behavior, and what I fear most is that it just continues to spread.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 09:46      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad it wasn't more serious and you are more or less ok.

I don't know about the "sit down and talk" thing though. At this point I would want to deliver a message about what they did via a 2x4. Of course my better judgement would probably prevail and I would just avoid the neighborhood.

Yes - finding out what motivates bad behavior is good for society, but it also requires that we as individuals *and* as a society say in no uncertian terms that bad behaviour isn't acceptable. Fortunately for you someone was watching and shouted at those punks giving them that message.

The kids I see mis-behaving the most are the ones where the adults around them talk and talk and talk to them about how they are feeling and how it isn't ok - but never really punish the kids. Repeat that dozens of times per day for years and the kids learn that they can just ignore the blah-blah-blah and do whatever they want with no real reprocussions. Other kids have parents that aren't afraid to raise their voice, or even just give that look of death and those kids more or less behave. Talking with those parents I also find that the kids will get their fingers slapped or butts paddled for serious issues. From my view of this world - good kids are those that have adults around them that will say no sometimes and back it up with what is necessary to drive that point home to the kid.

== end mini rant ==

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 10:22      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was worried as hell yesterday. For future reference hon, don't start an IM with "OMG..... I just got beat up", it isn't very good for one's heart... literally.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 10:35      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're OK, other than those broken glasses, MMKK. A professor I know got mugged right outside my neighborhood last year, and ended up with a broken wrist and a few stitches.

I have to disagree with those who think talking is useless. It can be very effective, under specific circumstances.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 12:00      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad you are ok MMKK. It could of been much worse for you and thank God that woman was around to draw attention.

Coming from a neighborhood much like this, in some areas worse, I can relate with wanting to find out the source of this aggression. Most children where I grew up were brought into a life where the parent has already paved the foundation, which are unstable grounds for the child. Whether it is parents are not together, mother is a prostitute, dad is a drug dealer, or only role model is a person who makes a living sticking up people. There are many more I cannot list but my point is: Unless these children are shown there is another way, BEFORE it gets to an uncontrollable point, they will be lost in the streets and jails. Most brought up in very poor and violent neighborhoods never get out. They adapt to life there and accept "this is all I can get" or "this is what I have to do to feed my daughters/sons." It is always a choice to do right or wrong but when you grow up n an environment where all you are exposed to be "wrong" than that is the type of person you will be. I got out only because my mother moved us out of the projects of Far rockaway, Ny. I was on my way to joining a gang as well as my older brother. Now the area I used to live in is divided into two sections: Red and Blue. It is literally a war zone there.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 12:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK - I am glad that this horrible event hasn't fazed you too much. I was struck particularly by two comments in your post:

1) "If I change my plan because of them then, even in some small way, I've let them win."

For me, this shows a level of courage that I doubt I would be capable of, in similar circumstances.

2) "My one wish is that I get the chance to sit down with these boys and find out the answers to these questions. I know this will never happen, but I wish it could. I wish I could help them. I want to help them!!

How does society get so out of hand that so many fall through the cracks? How can we reach out to people who need it?"

The fact that you followed the first comment, which indicates a real sense of self-respect, with the second comment, which shows a deep respect for other human beings, speaks volumes about your character and the maturity of your outlook on life.

Massive respect.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 15:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough break MMKK, sounds like you came out not to bad though.

Back in the day I was visiting a friend in a very rough are of Toronto, Jane and Finch. It was about 2 AM when I left with a belly full of beer walking toward a busier street so I could flag down a cab for some reason TO subway system closed about 1:30AM.

Anywho, I get approached by a group of thugs. 3 black guys, 1 white guy.....they take the same angle MMKKs buddies did....Asking for cash/weed. As one of them circled slowly behind me I eyeballed who I figured was 'the boss' figuring I would take at least one guy down. The white guy made a move toward me and I knew there was no backing out so I went for the boss, a heavy set black fella. I concentrated my full effort on him pounding him repeatedly in the face/head which scared one guy enough he just ran while the other two were trying to pull me off the boss while administering a good beating on my back and head. The cops pulled up and the white guy and remaining black guy took off on foot by this time the boss was on the ground unconscious and I was in pretty rough shape too. I had broken my thumb and had had a black eye and a few cuts/lumps on my face and head. They had to call an ambulance for the boss who still hadn't regained consciousness. I was arrested and taken to he police station where I was arrested for assault and public intox!!!!

The case was thrown out of court by the judge and all charges were dropped after a witness testified that he saw 3 guys on me while a third was running away. It turns out I had broken the boss' nose, knocked out a few teeth, broken his orbital bone and partially severed one of his ears. I was actually more scared at court than the fight/mugging because the boss had a bunch of his posse there watching the proceeding, I figured they would follow me home and kill me or at least beat the shit out of me.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 16:41      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, Kris!

I mean OMFG!

How terrible!

You go to Eastern Michigan University?

Mugging is part of the curriculum there. Anybody else tell you that?

I really am sorry to hear you got mugged.

Didn't your HS counselor warn you about this?

Kris, get thee to a real school, unless, you kinda like getting mugged.

You're not in Bridgeman any more buddy. Though, peculiarly enough Bridgeman is spitting distance away for me now. And the Get-A-Way Saloon is the best place to watch the Lions on Sunday (which is like getting mugged).

Really am sorry about the mugging -- the one to your face and the one the college recruiter did to you.

Haisely Crawford went to EMU. Olympic Gold Medalist from Trinidad 100M. Ran against him back in '74. Never heard nothing good about that school.

Colonel Panic
Graduated Disneyland East, '73
BA/BBA WMU 79
MBA UM 82

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 18:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes. Sorry to hear about the mugging, but it's good to see that you weren't hurt badly.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 11:28      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you to everyone for all your support. I'm happy to report that I'm doing okay, save for a tender right cheek. $411 later I have a new pair of glasses... I got screwed because I needed them right away so I had to go to Lens Crafters so I could get them in "about an hour." The crafty sales lady, doing a great job, talked me into a pair of perscription sunglasses too, which I'm now kicking myself over buying. I really didn't need them, and yet, if something /does/ happen to these, I'll have the shades to fall back on so I won't have to rush for glasses. Silver linings abound.

*stands on a soapbox*
Again, a big thank you for all your support. I appreciate everyone's concern. It's like having a million big brother's (the sibling kind, not the 1984 kind) watching out for me! With that, though, I noticed a shocking trend in this thread. The number of people that said that they'd go back with a 2x4/mace/gun/etc and beat the shit out of these guys really shocked me. Although I am sure it would feel very good to take a 2x4 to these guys in revenge, there is no way that I can fool myself into thinking that it would be right to do so.

If their beating me up was a horrible afront to all that is good in humanity, then how would my beating them up be any better? Since when has revenge been a justifiable cause for immorality?! I can understand self-defence, and if I would've been capable of defending myself and quick-witted enough to realize what was going on before it'd gone too far, I would have defended myself. Now that the moment has passed, though, anything I do would be an act of hateful revenge.

I do not hate these people for what they did to me. I hate the society that we live in that teaches them the immoral values that drive their anger and hate for others. I hate the TV commercials, the billboards, and the ads that teach them that money == happiness, and that you should do whatever you need to do to get it.

These kids need help, not just punishment. It is true that they should be punished for their crimes, however if they learn nothing from their punishment, then it was in vain.

Behavior is LEARNED from the people around you. These kids don't /know/ any better, they don't /know/ that there is a better way, that there is a brighter future for them then crime and drugs and jail. No one has ever told them that they can be somebody, that they can be anything. Kids are trusting, they believe what you tell them, and these boys have been told, through both word and action, that they will never amount to anything.

How would you feel, and how would you act, if you had nothing to hope for?!

*steps down*

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 11:49      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I probably would have defended myself too, I agree with you. I truly believe that violence only begets more violence. It's a vicious downward spiral that has gotten us to the sorry state of affairs we find ourselves in today. So mag valour MMKK for not going over to the Dark Side and giving into revenge. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 11:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he ^^^^^^ said.

It used to be that men, in "civilized" society, resorted to violence only as a defense of honor.

What would the world look like if we went back to each of the eras of the past and selected the best parts of them? What's stopping us from doing that in our daily lives?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 12:28      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[shake head]

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2006 13:22      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, sugar, you're a better person than I am for not beating them to bloody pulps with their own bikes.

(BTW, this is why I carry a large utility knife on me at all times. There's no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood.)

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture