homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Mardi Gras is bad for plants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mardi Gras is bad for plants
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 00:03      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My town is currently having Mardi Gras celebrations, so I decided to stay home and hibernate for the weekend to avoid the stupid, drunken people that are out and about.

So, I'm sitting here at 11:30pm, watching some TV, getting ready to go to bed, when my dog starts barking as if someone's at the door. At first I tell him to stop, but then I hear some loud noises right outside the apartment. I look out the window and see that my potted plants have been thrown from the landing of the stairs that lead up to my second story apartment. I go through a whirlwind of thoughts: "a strong wind has come and launched my plants. No, there's no wind. Plus that would have to be one heck of a wind to get them over the railing and 20ft away from the building". I open the door and walk outside. I'm thinking, "Why would someone do this? Maybe some punk kid did it as a prank". At this point I start yelling: "WHO THE F*@K DID THIS?! Who's out here?" I am half expecting to see someone running off. I stupidly run down the stairs (what am I gonna do if I catch someone?). Then I see a guy casually walking up the stairs to an apartment one building over from mine. "Oh good", I think, "maybe he saw something". I yell out, "Sir, excuse me" He ignores me. "Sir, did you see anybody just now? Hello? Can you help me?!" The A$$hole just keeps walking, goes into the apartment, and turns OFF the lights as he goes in. Who the hell turns off the lights as they walk into their apartment? So, I'm pretty sure this guy did it, but I know there's nothing I can do.

My working theory is that he came home from the Mardi Gras celebrations and was so drunk that he came to the wrong building and headed up the wrong stairs. He stumbled over my plants on the landing, or was simply pissed off that someone had placed them on HIS stairs. So, he picked them up and launched them. Two of them are hibiscus in ten gallon pots that each weigh at least forty pounds, and the third is a smaller potted "piggyback plant". Around this time my dog starts barking at the noise and I peek out of the window. He realizes he is at the wrong apartment and starts toward his building. By the time I get outside, he is walking up his stairs. He hears/sees me and realizes what he has done, so he ignores me and quickly goes inside, and turns out the light (pretty clever, maybe I will think nobody's home).

Of course, I am here by myself this weekend as Orpheus is at a conference out of town. I am both really pissed and also a bit frightened by all of this. I managed to get a call out to the police officer who lives in next building past the suspect. He came over and I told him my story. He agreed with my theory, but since I didn't actually see him do it, there's nothing that can be done legally. I gave a description of the guy and told him the apartment number where he went. The cop said he'll try to talk to the guy tomorrow and at least let him know that we know what he did.

Now I have a killer headache, and I'm still just really pissed off. I love those plants. They're my babies. The pots are broken, but I imagine I can repot the plants. I wish I could go get them now, but I'm a bit scared to go outside alone. Plus I want to leave them until tomorrow so that all the neighbors get a chance to see what this dickhead did, and maybe he'll see the results of his drunken stupidity.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 00:34      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maia - that really stinks. [Frown]

Some years ago we had a couple of potted shrubs stolen from either side of our front door. Although we were upset and angry about it, at least I can understand that with theft, someone does get some benefit and so you could say that there is some point to it.

With the sort of mindless destruction that you have experienced, nobody gains anything and it is just so pointless. As much as I hate theft, I hate mindless vandalism more.

I hope your plants recover from this, and it would be nice to think that the dickhead responsible would give you a few dollars for new pots (though I guess he won't).

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 16:33      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear about your plants and the destruction of the pots.

I am very glad you werent able to catch him during or after. If he was drunk enough to vandalize your plants god only knows what he was drunk enough to do to you if you had caught him.

I am glad you are ok and happy that you did call the police even if there was nothing they could do.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 17:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your plants. I hope they survive.

On a less positive note, I hope your neighbor doesn't.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6362 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lynners
Newbie Larva
Member # 4975

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2006 01:05      Profile for Lynners     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to hear about your plants, hope they were saveable. if your was neighbour is a decent person (which by the above, sounds like a minimal chance) he should pay for the pots.

but I just cant get over him turning off the light lol, he must of been drunk, thats really... yeah...

hope everything worked out for you... seeing how this was a month ago.

--------------------
Thank god for Christians

Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2006 18:41      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plant vandalism is a terrible thing - except in the final scene of Mister Roberts
Posts: 2867 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.