homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Dare I talk about the Ice Hockey?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dare I talk about the Ice Hockey?
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 18, 2006 21:57      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe

<ducks and runs>

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 18, 2006 22:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
darn, and I had a lot of money riding on that game. [Wink]

I'm rooting for the ladies anyway. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 22:41      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just you wait, if the Swiss are true to form after beating the actual World Champions (Czech Republic) and the actual Olympic Champions (Canada) they will go and lose to Italy and Germany.

Still, savouring the moment; at least you have one consolation, both goals were scored by an (ex)Canadian.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 22:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I figured the Swiss had potential...because you've got our #1 goaltender from the Colorado Avalanche, David Aebischer!

I don't know if I'm cheering for any specific team...I'm just enjoying following all the Avs players on the various teams. For instance, Peter Budaj (the Avs' backup goaltender) was really strong in net today for Slovakia, and John-Michael Liles (our young defenseman) has been contributing to the scoring for Team USA.

IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 03:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

For some reason that just sounds so much better in the Australian context of that phrase [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 03:50      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

For some reason that just sounds so much better in the Australian context of that phrase [Wink]
ROTFLMAO [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 05:46      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, hockeys been going downhill since 1938.

Now curling, that's where it's at!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 05:58      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
Just you wait, if the Swiss are true to form after beating the actual World Champions (Czech Republic) and the actual Olympic Champions (Canada) they will go and lose to Italy and Germany.

Still, savouring the moment; at least you have one consolation, both goals were scored by an (ex)Canadian.

Not as good as winning the gold because you were the only one that managed to not fall over, a la Stephen Bradbury.

And still more on Canadian Consolations, how about that Begg-Smith guy? Can they strip him of his medal for becoming a millionare by designing pop-ups? [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 18:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I note that the Swiss have qualified for the quarterfinals by tying Germany 2-2. Aebi was in net and made 26 saves.

And the Slovaks, unfortunately, managed to beat "Koly The Goalie" and the Kasakhstan team, 2-1. Marek Svatos (Colorado's "best rookie you've never heard of") got one shot on goal for Slovakia but no scoring.

And--sorry, Snaggy--Finland beat Canada, 2-0. Ex-Avalanche Teemu Selanne scored one of those goals, and has scored 6 goals in 4 games.

Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 08:39      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give up on hockey... Women's curling is where its at.... I mean come on! a team of redheads and all of them screaming harder, faster, slower, softer... it just makes my toes... um curl [Wink]

lol... okay Hockey still rocks... at least there still is the women's hockey team to watch.

Canadian women seem to be rocking at the olympics this time around!

-TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 15:16      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I was not too far off the truth, after those two wins, Switzerland could only manage a draw against Germany and Italy, the two waekest teams!

I can only hope that they were saving themselves for the next match, quarterfinals vs Sweden and looks as if Gerber will be in goal as Aebi played vs Italy.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 18:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Canadian team is nothing impressive this time around. No speed. Plenty of raw talent, and size, and strength, but it's not working on the European ice surface.

My fingers are crossed for my country, but at this point, here's hoping we can get past Russia in the quarter finals, after *just* beating the Czechs today -- which was a fluke more than anything.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 18:18      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Soviet Russia, zesovietrussians always win. Canucks, you're next [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 06:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:

It shall be an epic battle. A reoccurence of the past.

If team Canada gets their shit together and shows up, then Russia has no chance. Especially if Marty Brodeur continues to own the cage like an angry heroin addict protecting his stash.

If they play like they have the last 5 games, it was fun, thanks for coming out, get a flyer at the door, we'll see ya in 4 years.

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 09:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sorry, the Russian team isn't the dominant force that the old Soviet team was, back in the days of the "Miracle on Ice." They're pretty good, especially with NHL players like Yashin and "The Bulin Wall," but they're not all that and a bag of chips.

(Incidentally, there's one player on that old Soviet squad that's the role model for a player for the Avs...their goaltender, Vladislav Tretiak. As Herb Brooks said, "You score on Tretiak, you keep the puck, 'cos it doesn't happen often." His number, 20, is now worn by Avs sometime-goaltender Vitaliy "Koly The Goalie" Kolesnik, who, like Tretiak, is from Kazakhstan.)

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 14:49      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

If team Canada gets their shit together and shows up, then Russia has no chance. Especially if Marty Brodeur continues to own the cage like an angry heroin addict protecting his stash.

If they play like they have the last 5 games, it was fun, thanks for coming out, get a flyer at the door, we'll see ya in 4 years.

it was fun, thanks for coming out, get a flyer at the door, we'll see ya in 4 years [Razz]
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 14:53      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

it was fun, thanks for coming out, get a flyer at the door, we'll see ya in 4 years [Razz]
Yup. Canada didn't show up, again. I don't know whether it was ego, ice surface, injuries, or what. There's really no excuse. The better team won, Canada didn't deserve to win.

Good luck in the semis.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 14:57      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, they'll need all the luck they can get. I'm really surprised Russia did win though - they are a decent team, no doubt about it, but they're obviously not what they usd to be back in the good old days.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2006 17:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy that Canada got blanked. They deserved it. Gretzky/Quinn's picks were way out in left field....too many oldies, and too many stars. You can't win will a roster full of numbers ones, just ask the New York Rangers (pre lock out).

Anywho, there is no place for pro players in the Olympics, I'd rather see the amateur up and coming players hungry for gold and they actually give a shit about representing their country.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture