homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Zombie Valentine's!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zombie Valentine's!
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 23:06      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Token Boston Goth Night I frequent threw its annual Zombie Valentine's Day party...thought you guys might get a kick out of my costume, seeing that I wanted to keep it timely and topical:

-

You can't see the red around the eyes, but it makes for an interesting undead effect. Blood's my standard Karo syrup and food coloring recipe, and yes, it took hours for that stuff to dry.

A thousand pardons for the pun here, but...SHOT THROUGH THE HEART! And you're to blame! YOU GIVE LO-O-OVE...A BAD NAME. [Roll Eyes]

YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 23:55      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hahaha. Great costume. And that horrible song is the finishing touch on the cringe effect. [Smile]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 00:11      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice blood! A little damage to the tshirt to "simulate" the bullet hole would have created a nice effect ...
But the blood is really good looking!
Looks real. I'd love to get your recipe, and hopefully it is stuff I can get over here in Austria as well.

BTW: I think the heart is on the left side of the chest and not on the right [Wink]

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 00:57      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:

BTW: I think the heart is on the left side of the chest and not on the right [Wink]

It's a mirror shot, so isn't the heart on the correct side? Karo is just a brand name for plain corn syrup, and you add red food coloring "to taste", as it were, so you should definitely be able to get some.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 02:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:

It's a mirror shot, so isn't the heart on the correct side?
Yes, Demosthenes may dance to the beat of a different drum, but her heart's in the right place. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 08:32      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great costume, but that shirt could definitely use some water [Wink]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 09:55      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But the blood is really good looking!
Looks real. I'd love to get your recipe, and hopefully it is stuff I can get over here in Austria as well.

I go by Tom Savini's "Dawn Of The Dead" arterial blood recipe; it's thick and holds form, so with a little patience, you can even use it to make blood drips that dangle from your skin without falling off, or hunks of gore. It's all edible and not too horrible tasting, so you can squeeze some in your mouth and let it leak out. To make the blood, you need:

1 16oz bottle of white Karo syrup
1 1/2 bottle of McCormick red food coloring
1 capful of McCormick green food coloring

Mix by turning the bottle end over end until it's completely blended. On skin, it takes about five minutes to dry to a hard-candy consistency. On clothing, it takes about thirty minutes.

The touch of green gives it just enough brown to look like it's been exposed to the air for a bit. Add a few more drops of green for a more undead, rotting effect.

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 10:03      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW: I think the heart is on the left side of the chest and not on the right

Dextrocardia: it's rare but it's got a name!

Combine it with the saccharine sweetness of Valentine's Day and you've got a case of maltodextrincardia, or something like that.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 10:35      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone tell me what maltodextrincardia is? Tried doing a search already.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 10:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maltodextrin is a sugar or a sweetener, IIRC. Cardia=heart.... thus, "sweetheart." I'm guessing he was going for a pun?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 13:02      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I probably completly messed that up [Applause]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 17:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes a bit longer to dry and doesn't get as hard, but you can substitute honey for the Karo and get fake blood that tastes better.

If you're willing to compromise on the color a little, you can add soy sauce instead of green food coloring. You get a fairly good fake blood which has a teriyaki-like flavor and is a pretty tasty when drizzled on grilled chicken, although some people will tend to refuse to eat the blood spattered chicken.

If you want a less translucent blood, add powdered sugar to the mix.

Next up, using marzipan and food coloring paste to make realistic looking internal organs to slice and serve for dessert!

Is it any wonder that I'm single? [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 07:14      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
Oh. I probably completly messed that up [Applause]

That's all right: Rhonwyyn got it. [Smile]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 07:15      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This crappy-looking website actually has some really cool stuff on it. Check out the 'gore' section for blood and stab wounds and gun wounds and other stuff.

Very cool, though, Demosthenes. [Applause]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture