homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Thank you New York City!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thank you New York City!
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 15:09      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And particularly thank you Metropolitan Opera for the live broadcasts from the Met. Many Saturday evenings I make supper listening to it here in the UK on Radio 3. Today we had Verdi's "La Traviata" and it was absolutely gorgeous. Next week it's "Aida".

I really enjoyed going to the Met when I was visited New York a couple of years back. It's easy to get tickets, they are not expensive, and the atmosphere in the theatre is friendly and unstuffy. I thoroughly recommend the place to anyone, and if you haven't seen an opera before, don't imagine they are some rarified treat for intellectuals. They are just rather old musicals, that happen to be pretty damn good.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 14:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli -

I am sure these broadcasts from the Met are pure gold for opera fans. For me, opera never really did the job. I did try, many years ago, but I ended up getting into what is now called "World Music" instead.

Do you remember the BBC Radio series "Music from the Royal Courts" which featured a range of 'classical musics' from around the world? It opened my eyes to many new things. For all I resent paying the TV licence fee, there is some stuff that the BBC does on radio which just wouldn't be available on commercial stations.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 18:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it's not either/or I happen to listen to a fair amount of World Music, so I don't think that disqualifies you from enjoying other things. There are loads of operas by many composers in many styles and you don't have to like them all, though I personally enjoy getting turned on to new (to me) music. I only really started enjoying opera in my 40's perhaps because like you I had seen a couple of productions which left me cold. The first one I really enjoyed was Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro", and I still think this is not only one of the very best, but also one of the most approachable of all operas. Once you start however it does become quite addictive. No other theatrical performance gives me the pure rush I get from opera.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 00:44      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see the Bolshoi opera in Moscow when I was there. It was awesome!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 14:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous - It certainly isn't an either/or scenario. A little background information may help to clarify things:

In my earlier post I was referring to a period when I was a young man and I realised that there is, quite literally, a world of culture out there. Realising that my musical tastes at that time were quite narrow, I set about looking at what else was available, and this how I got interested in music from other cultures.

However, my experiments with European classical music did not light any fires! I developed a fondness for Beethoven 6 & 9, and Carmina Burana; but at that time it was medieval music (such as Praetorius' "Dances from Terpsichore") rather than opera, than caught my attention.

Having said this, I realise that peoples tastes change over time, and I certainly wouldn't dismiss opera as a possible for the future. After all, I would have scoffed at the idea of Country music once upon a time, and here I am (as I type this) listening to the Hot Club of Cowtown and noting that my iTunes library contains things like Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Alison Moorer and Flat & Scruggs.

So - my conclusion?.... never say never!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture