homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Quotes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Quotes
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 19:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I have a list of quotes that I have a program pull from to populate the field at the top of my home page each week, and for the cryptograms twice each week. Well, I'm posting here to ask for quotes. It's half out my need for famous quotes and half out of curiosity. To make this more interesting...

1.) What famous quote is most memorable to you, and why?

2.) Has any proverbs helped you, when you were in a tight spot?

3.) What is the funny famous quote you've ever heard?

4.) If one thing you posted or used as a sig were to become a remembered famous quote in the years to come, what would you want it to be?

And in the spirit of the Friday five, and since I bothered to number them I may as well add one more...

5.) What quote or proverb do think has become to cliche?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 21:08      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:

"All human wisdom is contained in these words: wait and hope." I'm not sure why.

Erm ... not really.

"Dude, either up your dosage or cut it."

4.) If one thing you posted or used as a sig were to become a remembered famous quote in the years to come, what would you want it to be?
"Familiarity doesn't breed contempt. Lack of familiarity breeds contempt."

And in the spirit of the Friday five, and since I bothered to number them I may as well add one more...

5.) What quote or proverb do think has become too cliche?
"Stay the course."

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 21:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groucho Marx - Monkey Business.
Oh, I know it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at me. I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Just cuz it's funny.

Fsck you, you fscking fscker. Has gotten me through many a rough day.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

If it aint broke. Get a bigger hammer.

The serenity prayer.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 21:41      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried fortune?

I got it using fink. I actually wrote it into my .bash_profile so that I get a fortune cookie every time I open a new Terminal session:

code:

Last login: Thu Feb 9 14:22:42 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Mediocrity finds safety in standardization.
-- Frederick Crane
nwnfs-Computer-2:~ patohara$

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 23:33      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know about fortune. My program does something VERY similar, but also does the coding. I suppose I could install fortune harvest the quotes I like and then uninstall fortune, but I'd still like to see what quotes people arround here like...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 00:22      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.webtapestries.com/brad/sigquotes.html

I love the zippy quotes.

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 00:55      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live by the Murphy laws... and probably, will be killed by one.. [Razz]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 02:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk dancing." Sir Arnold Bax

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules" G.B. Shaw

"F**k'em if they can't take a joke" Bette Midler

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 05:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Never trust anyone over 30."
"Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 06:34      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally said by Greg LeMond:
It never gets easier, you just go faster.

quote:
Originally said by Steve Prefontaine:
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 09:22      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn, it's a pity EMinds is offline right now...we have a topic dating all the way back to the original EMinds called "Socrates Bar & Grill," in which the drinks are all virtual, but the price is right: one quote, one drink. (I'm the virtual bartender, third one to have taken the stick there.) You could just mine that for quotes...

Here's some of the quotes that inspired us as we rescued EMinds and kept it alive:

"...we choose to go to the moon, and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard!" - John F. Kennedy

"Never give up, never surrender!" - Jason Nesmith as Commander Peter Quincy Taggart, GalaxyQuest

"Software is like sex; it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds

And a couple that recent events have brought to mind:

"With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, in the ST:TNG episode “The Drumhead”

"I gotta take a stand. I am not going to sit on my ass as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I'm going to take a stand. I'm going to defend it. Right or wrong, I'm going to defend it." - Cameron Frye, Ferris Bueller's Day Off

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 10:05      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Darn, it's a pity EMinds is offline right now...we have a topic dating all the way back to the original EMinds called "Socrates Bar & Grill," in which the drinks are all virtual, but the price is right: one quote, one drink.

I don't know if I'd want to drink in a bar named after Socrates considering how he died! [Eek!]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:06      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

This one is easy.

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day
Thou canst not be false to any man."

Hamlet, Act I, Scene III, lines 78-80.

It was on a wall poster in the classroom where I took 11th and half of 12th grade social studies in HS. Over those three semesters, I did a lot of ruminating on the truth of the statement. Looking back on it now, so many years later, I realize that if I have a guiding principle, that's it in a nutshell.

Polonius' speech to Laertes was full of good advice, but my other favorite was:

"Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatch'd, unfledg’d comrade."

"And this too shall pass."

I'm drawing a blank on this one.

I don't know if I want to be remembered for this, but I've only used one sig, ever. It was "I like pork chops and I like chocolate ice cream, but that doesn't mean I'm going to mix them in a dish." I used to to explain to a friend that certain things, no matter how enjoyable, do not go together.

Oh, there's several:
"Now, more than ever."
"For the children."
"...and if you don't, the terrorists win."

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:18      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To thine own self be true."
Well, first of all I love Shakespeare and this was the first time I'd seen it actually performed. It was during the beginning of my 'awkward' period (which has yet to end) and it just really struck a chord with me. I've always kind of kept it with me in the back of my mind anytime I feel like somethings wrong with me.

2.) Has any proverbs helped you, when you were in a tight spot? "Better to not say anything and risk being thought of as an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

3.) What is the funniest famous quote you've ever heard? "Sir, you are drunk."
"And madame, you are ugly, but tomorrow I will be sober."

4.) If one thing you posted or used as a sig were to become a remembered famous quote in the years to come, what would you want it to be? "Geometry is for squares." I've got better ones but as luck would have it I can't remember any right now.

"Use the force.."
and
"I have a dream..."

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:37      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only addition to your quote quest will be this favorite of mine: "Earth is the craddle of humanity, but nobody stays in the craddle forever." - Constantin Tsiolkovsky (Or something along that line. Translation of a translation is rarely accurate.)

Addendum: I'd rather be remember for something I did than something I said. So, just choose about any of those nuggets of wisdom I might have left behind in this forum. (If I ever had any to begin with! [Wink] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 12:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what ships are built for.

It reminds me to look beyond my comfort zone.

2) Got a couple:
Nihil illegitami carborundum. Kinda self-explanatory. The other is:

When you can do nothing, what can you do?

That's actually a zen koan, not a proverb, but it's surprisingly helpful/liberating. Think about it.

3) Oh geez...well you can't go wrong with Mel Brooks...
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Oh and "Never meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

4) My current .sig.

5) What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. It's true, but I'm bloody sick of it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 14:18      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never confuse malice for genuine incompetence. -- Unknown.

Fully believe in what you believe in, but remember to keep an open mind.

3.) What is the funniest famous quote you've ever heard?
Software documentation is like sex -- when it's good, it's real good, when it's bad, it's still better than nothing.

Computer Programmer (n) - Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

5.) What quote or proverb do think has become too cliché?

"think outside the box".

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 18:15      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." JFK

I like that because we were a much better people when we felt that way. It's quite the opposite now.

quote:
Sun Tzu, "If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by."

This is true, and you can get a lot of fishing in while you wait.

quote:
Woody Allen, "Ecstacy is the feeling you get right after you have a good idea, and just before you find out what is wrong with it."

quote:
"Constitutional rights are a 'rock, paper, scissors' kind of thing; you may think you have a right to free speech, or the right to worship or right to assemble, but a nut, a gun, and the right to bear arms blows all those other rights away any day -- and there's not a goddamned thing you can do about it."

quote:
"Open me a can of whoopass." -- Can you at least trim the mullet and put a sweater over the wife-beater shirt before you say that?

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 19:05      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

"If you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, what value does that place on love?"
I remember it because it has always followed my belief system that love should be reserved for those who deserve it. And loving your enemies only places you in their mercy.

2.) Has any proverbs helped you, when you were in a tight spot? No.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” ~ Oscar Wilde. While I find it amusing I also take it very seriously.

I'm not sure, *recalls anything he found amusing he has posted*
Best I can think of is "I'd tell you to go to hell, but I don't want to meet you in the afterlife.

"Do unto others as you want done unto you."

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 09:33      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Alright, I have a list of quotes that I have a program pull from to populate the field at the top of my home page each week, and for the cryptograms twice each week. Well, I'm posting here to ask for quotes. It's half out my need for famous quotes and half out of curiosity. To make this more interesting...

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt
When I'm upset by something someone's said about me OR to me I like to remember this so I don't get upset. If you react to negitivity you give the other person the upper hand.

2.) Have any proverbs helped you, when you were in a tight spot?

What goes around comes around.

3.) What is the funniest famous quote you've ever heard?

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.
-Douglas Adams

Ummm... Can't think of anything.

5.) What quote or proverb do think has become too cliche?

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 14:22      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'd rather he was in the tent pissing out, than out of the tent pissing in" An updated version of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" ...but I like it.

I used to use the "Fear is the mind killer.." thing from Dune during dentist visits, it helped to pass the time a little...

Sir Thomas Beecham, when auditioning a nervous female cellist, is reputed to have said:
"Madam, between your legs you have the finest instrument ever devised for giving pleasure to man, and all you can do is scratch it!" [Big Grin]

No idea... I think most of my posts are better forgotten!

5.) What quote or proverb do think has become too cliched?

Definitely "thinking outside the box"... aaaargh [Mad]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 16:57      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up." -- Travis Bickle

"He who lives without discipline dies without honor." (Icelandic)

"Drunkenness and anger, 'tis said tell the truth." (Irish)

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant." -- Bill Hicks

I have no idea, but I'd expect that it would probably have an f-bomb in there somewhere.

The fear litany from Dune...it's overused these days, methinks.

Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 12:28      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." -Albert Einstein

2.) Has any proverbs helped you, when you were in a tight spot? "Sometimes you jsut ahve to put your balls on the table, infront of the man with the hammer."
Sometimes he's gonna smash them. But sometimes he picks them up, and gives them back to you.
I say that Every time I need to take a risk.

5.) What quote or proverb do think has become to cliche? "Arrrr." All this pirate shit is played out. Terrible shame, but it was fun while it lasted.

--------------------
[H]ard since '99
www.heroseekingvigilante.blogspot.com

Posts: 48 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 23:06      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"According to Einstiens theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can Round-House Kick you yesterday."
-Anononomous...I really can't spell...

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 07:17      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I didn't catch this before ... but technically, "quotes" is a verb and quotation is the noun. The thread title, then, should be, "Quotations".

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture