homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Garlic...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garlic...
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 06, 2006 22:09      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
found this on Doc Nickelson's site.

Ma's Spicy Garlic Meatballs

In a heavy skillet with a drixxle of olive oil, SAUTE:

10 bulbs (not cloves) of garlic, separated, peeled, and smashed with a wooden mallet.

When soft and pungent, add;

1 sweet Mayan onion, peeled and diced finely

Remove from heat and allow to cool

Meanwhile, in a 2 quart of larger bowl, mix;

1/2 Lb. lean ground beef, 2 eggs wll beaten, 3 Tbsp. heavy cream, 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce, 4 Tbsp. Tabasco (read or green), and 1/2 Lb. dried bread crumbs. Add salt and pepper to tast.

Mix well, add cooled onion aqnd garlic, and with relatively clean hands make balls the size of golf balls.
Brown formed meatballs in skillet, adding olive oil as necessary.
Cook, turning, until all sides of meatballs are browned.

[Happytears]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 22:27      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Sounds intense.

Tip: Instead of going to all the trouble of peeling and mashing garlic, why not use a garlic press? [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 23:16      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where's the drool smiley?

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 23:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me reads the recipe...

... needs more garlic.

(actually, it looks divine, but would never make it past the Diet Police in Casa del Druid [Frown] )

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 06:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny you suggest 10 bulbs of garlic, and then "salt and pepper to taste."

Yea, cus you're gonna have any tastebuds left. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 06:42      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Instead of going to all the trouble of peeling and mashing garlic, why not use a garlic press? [Smile]

They seem to get blocked up a little too easily for me. And they are annoying to clean.

My preferred method is to peel them, and then crush them under a fat knife by hitting it with the heel of your hand. Delia reccomends a pestle and mortar, but I don't have one.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 06:48      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't already done so, try max's method of crushing before you peel the individual cloves. (i.e. Remove the skins after crushing) There is a chemical interaction with the garlic juice and the skin which enhances the garlic flavor. Some prefer it, some do not, so YMMV.

Originally posted by TFD:
(actually, it looks divine, but would never make it past the Diet Police in Casa del Druid)

Would they allow you to substitute Guinness for the heavy cream?

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 06:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
If you haven't already done so, try max's method of crushing before you peel the individual cloves. (i.e. Remove the skins after crushing) There is a chemical interaction with the garlic juice and the skin which enhances the garlic flavor. Some prefer it, some do not, so YMMV.

Wow, you seem to know a lot about garlic. [Wink]

.. we need a smart-ass emoticon. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 07:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:

Wow, you seem to know a lot about garlic. [Wink]

.. we need a smart-ass emoticon. [Big Grin]

We could just use your avatar.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 07:40      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or your GC photo Gallery Picture. [Wink]

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 08:30      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Instead of going to all the trouble of peeling and mashing garlic, why not use a garlic press? [Smile]

But I tell you that I am He who lives by the Knife and the Fist. I place the flat blade of my knife upon the clove of garlic, and down upon it I smash my fist. The garlic is crushed; its skin flakes off.

(From National Lampoon's Doon)

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 09:03      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, that sounds good. I might try that. Little strong sounding, but I like garlic (and yes i go brush my teeth to save the world from me).

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 22:47      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
/me reads the recipe...

... needs more garlic.

(actually, it looks divine, but would never make it past the Diet Police in Casa del Druid [Frown] )

Try subtituting 3 egg whites for the eggs and 3 Tbsp olive oil for the heavy cream.

edit: or 1/2 cup of Garlic Head BBQ Sauce. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture