homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » grad school can really suck (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: grad school can really suck
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 13:19      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life? What's a life? [Razz]

No, I think that is it. I need a life.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 13:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maia:
Life? What's a life? [Razz]

No, I think that is it. I need a life.

Meh. They've overrated anyway.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bifurcati
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 16:20      Profile for Bifurcati   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally know what you mean - I'm in the final stages of my PhD, and it's pretty easy to be a bit uninspired about your research, or question where (if anywhere!) it's going. But I think you've just got to struggle through - even if you don't plan to be a scientist long term, it's still a good experience.

My single most helpful piece of advice is to read PhD Comics. I identify with at least one in two of them, and it helps to know that I'm not unique in what I experience, and this really is, for better or worse, the normal life of a PhD student!

--------------------
---

http://www.illuminatingscience.org/

Posts: 13 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 05:38      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are really making me rethink going for a Masters (in Engineering) after I graduate.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 06:48      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
You guys are really making me rethink going for a Masters (in Engineering) after I graduate.

I know that everything depends on the particular program you're in, but I've seen a huge difference in Masters and PhD programs. Masters programs, in my experience, aren't as all consuming as PhD programs. The best thing you can do is try to make some contacts at the school you're interested in and talk to some of the students. Please note I said students and not staff or faculty. You want the inside scoop.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture