homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Pros And Cons Of Wearing Glasses (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Wearing Glasses
Zantabar
Newbie Larva
Member # 4902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:49      Profile for Zantabar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont care what anyone says any woman in glasses is sexy!
Posts: 8 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 22:52      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 reasons for glasses:
  • Low maintenance
  • Objects that would damage eyes often bounce off them
  • Removal by self or another can hint at the chance that more is to follow…

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 08:45      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
It pretty much boils down to physical activity. I switched to contacts after finally hitting the limit on how many times I would push my glasses back into place while riding my bicycle.

Can you get prescription lenses in Oakley Minute frame? I have a pair and always wear them when I go riding; never had a problem with them not staying in place.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 10:25      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Can you get prescription lenses in Oakley Minute frame?

Poking around on Google makes me think that it is possible. One optical shop in the UK claimed to offer a wider range of prescription lenses for the Minutes than Oakley themselves. Hitting Froogle with "minute prescription" brings up lots of descriptions that they're prescription-ready.

How you actually go about obtaining such lenses, though... I'm scratching my head!

I use a pair of Oakley Straight Jackets myself.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 13:58      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see so much better with contacts than glasses, but my allergies are so bad that I'm back in glasses. Vision is really the only plus to the contact. Well maybe not having a two year old grabbing your glasses...
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 16:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! I just realized another pro to wearing contacts: You can actually get up-close-and-personal with microscopes and binoculars.

/me came to that realization while looking at these puppies.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 16:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't use a microscope and wear glasses at the same time. It's either contacts or I take the glasses off and make life hell for anyone who wants to use the scope after me (my eyes are pretty weak).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 17:47      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly what you mean with the microscopes.

quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Some people swear that when you wear glasses, your eyes get worse after a while and you have to get a stronger prescription, while contacts seem to keep your eyes from getting worse for a longer time. I guess it has something to do with the proximity of the lens. [ohwell]

My eyes are pretty bad (my glasses script's around -6 on both eyes), but they haven't gotten any worse for about five or six years now. I'll probably get a new pair of glasses before I leave for college, but that's just because these ones have been through a bit of abuse.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 23:27      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: Don't feel guilty about adjusting a microscope to your prescription. I was always told to make sure that it suits you, and bugger the next person!

And now for my tirade!

I'm a shocker as I am completely anti me wearing glasses. I hate them! I didn't get glasses till I was nearly 20, and now I'm 33 I still hate them! Bloody annoying things!

My glasses are scratched to all hell, haven't had a decent clean in a year, are always smudged and dirty and I really don't give a fark, so long as I can see out of them.

On top of that they steam up in rain and while cooking. They fall off when leaning over, with a sharp turn of the head or when someone slaps the back of your head (an unfortunately too common occurance for me).

On the other hand, contacts are much better.....but they take too long to put in. Yes, it only takes a minute but that is too long for me! Glasses take a second (assuming you can find them).

I'm a bigot about this though. Other people look damn fine in glasses.
</tirade>

I'll add my 2c worth in now though. I use daily disposables for playing sport, the AcuVue ones and they are fantastic. No problems for up to 12 hrs. Just don't sleep in them!

I've got my normal glasses and just recently a pair of prescription sunnies. Definitely worth getting! Particularly over here in Sunny AUS!

And just to divert a bit more, has anyone had, or thinking about getting Laser surgery to correct this?

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 00:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elvermere:
Xanthine: Don't feel guilty about adjusting a microscope to your prescription. I was always told to make sure that it suits you, and bugger the next person!

You haven't heard the cursing... [Razz]

What's really fun is when my boss wants to show me something. He'll get the scope all focused for his vision and then ask me if I can see it, all excited and jumpy and annoyed while I first bring things into focus.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 07:59      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if we're posting p1x of h0t women in glasses:

-

(I'm talking about the one on the left)

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 08:28      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicks in Glasses are really cute!
 -

But you can always use glasses to start fires when shipwrecked!
[crazy]

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 08:59      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I preffer it if the girl has both glasses and contacts. Then you don't see her in glasses all the time and when she does where them it's even sexier. You get used to something (Like a nice car) and after a wile it just is not the same.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 09:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I preffer it if the girl has both glasses and contacts. Then you don't see her in glasses all the time and when she does where them it's even sexier. You get used to something (Like a nice car) and after a wile it just is not the same.

Good, well-suited glasses on a girl is *hot*.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2006 08:29      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Well, if we're posting p1x of h0t women in glasses:

Glasses, argyle socks...

<Jayne>I'll be in my bunk...</Jayne>

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sentinel75
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2006 22:51      Profile for sentinel75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to wear soft contacts, then hard contacts before reverting to glasses all the time.

Lenses
Pros (in addition to all the above):
- Playing football (aust. rules) - the first reason to get them
- Can't cause damage to your face - fell down on an ice hockey rink, and the glasses opened up a cut on my eyebrow

Cons:
- Infection!
- Cleaning
- Longer to put on

Glasses
Pros:
- Can get corrective safety glasses - I wouldn't wear contacts in a steel mill!

Cons:
- Get caught in other head gear, like ear muffs or strapped helmets

--------------------
Murphy's Law is a design principle, and the world will be a better place if more designers took note of it!

Posts: 2 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 14:18      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the topic of microscopes, Ive found when wearing glasses, that yes I have to take them off, but I actually see stuff better in microscopes with glasses off, than on (this is made while actually being able to wear glasses and look at stuff.

Then again, I currently wear contacts, but I have a pair of glasses that I wear on occasion. Mostly weekends when Im too lazy to put contacts in.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 16:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, for some reason, wearing glasses really screws up my ability to focus the scope. It's not such a huge deal to tkae them off as you can generally focus the scope to suit your eyes, unless your vision is really bad. My bf, like just about everyone else, can't use a scope with his glasses, but his eyes are so bad that he can't get the scope to correct for his vision. So he wears contacts. He'd probably be a good candidate for laser surgery except he's very suspicious of the whole procedure.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 17:07      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Yeah, for some reason, wearing glasses really screws up my ability to focus the scope. It's not such a huge deal to tkae them off as you can generally focus the scope to suit your eyes, unless your vision is really bad. My bf, like just about everyone else, can't use a scope with his glasses, but his eyes are so bad that he can't get the scope to correct for his vision. So he wears contacts. He'd probably be a good candidate for laser surgery except he's very suspicious of the whole procedure.

My gf had it done about 4 or 5 years ago, and has been pretty happy with it, but she does have some problems with her night vision.

I can't afford it at the moment, but even if I could I think I'd wait a while longer. They've been making some nice advancements in the procedure in the last few years, and I expect there will probably be at least few more to come.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 18:13      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've needed prescription lenses since age 12 and have been switching back & forth from glasses & contacts since a little after that.

Personal pros & cons of glasses
-------------------------------

Cons:
Can't wear them scuba diving/swimming/snorkelling, etc.
Open the oven door-- agghh! I'm blind
My nose is too steep
Don't land face first on the bed when you're rough-housing

Pros:
They don't have an expiry date
My optometrist doesn't tell me my corneas are mush when I've been wearing my glasses all day for weeks
I have to wear glasses when using the computer anyway (I'm far-sighted and near-sighted).

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 18:15      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
unless your vision is really bad.

Or you have worse vision in one eye than the other. My bio teacher in high school said, "Do what works for you. But if I catch you using just one eye during the microscope exam, Imagonnaflunkya!" (Yeah. He liked to make up compound words like that. [Big Grin] Great guy.)
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 19:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have one eye that's worse than the other. But I don't have stereo vision either (both eyes work, just not together) so that's not really a problem for me - I'm getting most of my visual information from one eye or the other, so the fact that one is weaker doesn't bother me on the microscope. Nor does it bother me too terribly much if I lose on of my contacts (other than my peripheral vision on one side goes to shit, that is). I think the only person in my lab who knows about this "problem" of mine is my boss, but that's another story.

I did learn how to fake using both eyes on the microscope (put your face down and close the eye you aren't using) after my bio teacher caught me doing the one-eye thing and teased me. She didn't threaten to flunk me though.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 01:12      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need my glasses but i ahve lost them some where (i think it was this pub somewhere but i cant be certain) if anyone sees a pair of random glasses on a pub stool somewhere, please let me know [Big Grin]

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 06:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While my vision is better than 20/20 as far as reading from a distance goes, I had eye operations when I was very young to repair lazy nerves.

As a result, my eyes aren't properly inline with one another when I focus on things.

It mostly makes my depth perception useless, and makes me completely incapable of doing those damned 3d puzzle things.

More of an annoyance than anything else.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 08:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEah, my eye doctor told me not to waste my time on those.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture