homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Pros And Cons Of Wearing Glasses (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Wearing Glasses
IScareWittyCommentsAway
Geek Larva
Member # 4878

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted February 03, 2006 22:02      Profile for IScareWittyCommentsAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past four years I've had to wear glasses. Being as I got my Dad's near sightedness. There for...I have decided to make a list of the pros and cons. Please feel free to add to the list. [Wink]

xoxo,

Witty

<b>The List</b>

Pros:

People think I'm smarter.

There are many cute designs out for glasses now.

They are just plain hott!! lol.

Cons:

I've already lost/broken/the dog ate...four pairs of glasses.

They get smuged very easy.

You can't wear them in the rain without feeling like you just went through the car wash.

--------------------
"Wake up kids, we've got the dreamers disease" -New Radicals from the song "you get what you give"

Posts: 20 | From: East Coast | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 22:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Con: You have to buy an extra pair for prescription sunglasses if you want shaded eyes while you're driving. (Transitions lenses don't change in the car 'cause the windshield blocks UV rays.)

If you get a big infection on your forehead and it drains down your face, the bridge of your nose swells and your glasses don't fit properly, plus it looks really odd.

Pro: It's really quick to put on glasses. Contacts can take a while, especially when they're the first pair you've ever had.

Similarly, you don't have to touch your eyes to put on your glasses.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 22:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You shouldn't be touching your eyes handling contacts. Touch the contact. Not the eye. That kinda hurts.

Glasses + broken nose is not a fun combo either.

Pros to glasses:
You can fall asleep in them.
THey don't fall out and disappear.
They don't tear.
Your eye doctor never yells at you about over-wearing your glasses.
They come on and off very easily.
If you get a good pair you can look very cute.
Don't get painful if your eyes dry out.

Cons to glasses:
If you get a bad pair you can look very ugly (I've been around the block on this one...).
The red spots on your nose.
The way they get all wet in rain and snow.
The annoying bar and blurriness when I try to actually use my peripheral vision.
Hard to fit under ski goggles.
Hard to fit under lab goggles/glasses.
Even harder to fit under glacier glasses.
Tendency to fly of your face or get broken in martial arts classes. This can only be solved by removing said glasses, and then you can't really see anything.
I also tend to react worse to onions when I'm wearing glasses.

And for the hell of it:
COntact lenses

Pros:
No need for prescription goggles, sunglasses, glacier glasses, etc.
Some UV protection.
Nothing on your face.
Since the lenses are sitting on your eye, they move with your eye, and that's why you don't get a bar and blurriness in your peripheral vision.
Do not going flying off your face or get broken in martial arts classes.
Can still see when it wet or snowy. Unless the rain or snow is blowing into your face.
Need to renew prescription yearly so your contact prescrption never goes to hell because you're too lazy to get your vision re-checked.
Useful way to defy stereoypes.

Cons:
Need to renew prescription yearly.
Depending on what you've got, cleaning can be really easy or a bloody pain.
Even if it's safe to sleep with your lenses in it's not necessarily comfortable.
Losing them.
Having them fall out. Usually when the eye gets really dry or really teared up (ever cried so hard your contacts fell out? It just makes your day that much worse...).
Tearing them.
Need to see the eye doc every year.
Not allowed in organic chemistry labs. Even though they make you wear goggles no matter what. And they make you wear the old-fashioned burly goggles too, that are heald on with elastic straps and leave lines imprinted on your face so, hours later, everybody knows you had orgo lab that day.

I typically go for the contacts. But I like my glasses too. Especially if I have to be awake for a long period of time.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 23:04      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like glasses because I like the way I look in glasses. Some girls wear tons of makeup to cover up their facial blemishes, I just wear glasses. I don't do a whole lot of strenuous physical activity that would endanger my glasses.

I have contacts but only wear them when I have to. For some reason my eyes inevitably dry out when I'm wearing contacts (even new ones), so it gets very uncomfortable after wearing them for a while. I just like being able to reach for glasses on my bedside table and then put them up at the end of the day.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 23:24      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago my father was entering a building to which he made regular sales calls when a tiny pebble shot from who knows where and headed straight for his right eye... only to bounce off of his glasses. He came home that day and showed me the gouge in his right lens that lined up perfectly with his right pupil. He said "Now I know why I wear glasses."

That convinced me. Glasses. Glasses forever!

And Ive always had a weakness for women who wear glasses. I have no idea why. Probably because I dig women who don't spend hours worrying about their looks. And the typical woman that does (in my experience) shuns glasses like tolls.

And who could resist the delictably gogglefied つじあやの?

うつくしいです!

Needeth I sayeth moreth?!?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 11:24      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have absolutetly no problem with wearing glasses. They have so many cute frames nowadays that some people who don't need glasses get them for the frames. The only thing that really bothers me is not being able to see without them. I've never been able to swim or go on roller coasters and see what's going on around me.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 11:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine:

I wear monthly disposables and can sleep in them. It's much more comfortable falling asleep in contacts than in glasses. You don't wake up with funny marks on your face, either! [Big Grin]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 13:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ewomack: Hell yes! I was going to add to the list of pros: Extra bit of protection for the otherwise naked eye.

Cons: There are no cons!!!! [Big Grin]

I love my glasses, and just can't see wearing contacts. I have Flexon frames, so bending them isn't an issue -- but generally, I don't sleep in my glasses. I guess I find it annoying that I'll be laying comfortably in bed, and just don't want to move to take off my glasses, but I usually do anyway. If I think it will be safe enough, I might put them in some part of my bed that I shain't fall land on. Otherwise, they're always on the table behind my bed, usually easily reachable.

Another cool pro: In certain lighting conditions, I can actually see behind and to the sides based on some little bit of reflection out of the corner of my lens.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 14:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I've worn both, here's my two cents:

Contacts
Pros: When you're hot, no sweat drips on them. They don't fog up after coming inside from cold weather. Nothing sliding down your nose.
Cons: Easy to lose if they pop out. Cleaning them. Getting a speak of dirt between the lens and you eye. Ouch! They get uncomfortable after wearing them for a long time.

Glasses
Pros: See the cons of wearing contacts.
Cons: The lenses get dirty and you have to wipe them all the time. Some people swear that when you wear glasses, your eyes get worse after a while and you have to get a stronger prescription, while contacts seem to keep your eyes from getting worse for a longer time. I guess it has something to do with the proximity of the lens. [ohwell]

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 21:59      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that I am often something of a klutz, I tend to break glasses. If I had been wearing glasses, I probably would have bent an earpiece when I hit my head a few hours ago. I also have a small scar on my left eybrow where my glasses cut me when I took a spill playing broom hockey in college, before I switched to contacts. It's not that I believe contacts are safer or anything; I just have found them to be one less thing to worry about during the course of my day.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Xanthine:

I wear monthly disposables and can sleep in them. It's much more comfortable falling asleep in contacts than in glasses. You don't wake up with funny marks on your face, either! [Big Grin]

I tried those, but I have bad astigmatism in my right eye, and it made them very uncomfortable. So, I had to go with a toric disposable, which doesn't come in an extended wear version.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 01:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Sxept, Bausch & Lomb have a new lens now for astigmatism; it's definitely toric and a monthly disposable. I can sleep with it in, wear it for days at a time... no problems. [Big Grin] Oddly enough, my right eye wears a toric lens, but my left eye doesn't. Up 'til now, I thought both my eyes had astigmatisms.

I really like being able to wake up and see clearly right away! [Applause]

--------------------

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 04:54      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have almost perfect vision, and as such have never needed glasses. However, I cannot tell you how many times I have wished I did. This is probably quite a naive comment, considering how many of you have had to deal with the reality of wearing specs all the time. But I love the way they make my face look, and I love the connotations of them.

My new unofficial boyfriend wears emo glasses. He's coming to visit next weekend, and I'll be damned if I let him take them back with him [Razz] .

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 08:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
I have almost perfect vision, and as such have never needed glasses. However, I cannot tell you how many times I have wished I did. This is probably quite a naive comment, considering how many of you have had to deal with the reality of wearing specs all the time. But I love the way they make my face look, and I love the connotations of them.

That's quite alright, sky. As I said, I have no problems wearing glasses, whatsoever.

And I rather like glasses on girls. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 08:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhon, according to the package I can wear my lenses daytime only for two weeks or day and night for one week. In practice I can wear them day only for about a month before they start hurting, and about six days day and night before my eyes get really scratchy and not-nice feeling. I don't get pinkeye or anything, but it doesn't feel very good.

That and my lenses always feel odd after I've worn them sleeping and waken up. Like they're out of place or something. They feel better in very short order, but it's not a sensation I enjoy so, unless I'm out in the wilderness or something, I try not to sleep in them. It led to some fun times on Denali. I slept on the little lens packages so they wouldn't freeze, but when the changing days came I pretty much had to give my sleeping bag a shakedown to find them again. I had to start sharing space with a bottle of suncreen once I discovred that that will also freeze. :/

I use Acuvues. My doc here in Boulder tried to switch me over to something else he likes to push and my eyes rejected the lenses. It felt like I was putting in sandpaper.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 10:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, yeah. I wouldn't want to be on a cold mountain with bits of plastic in my eyes! [Eek!]

My sister has really bad vision. Her doc gave her hard contacts. She's only allowed to wear them for ten hours a day and has about three steps to clean them. I have one solution that does everything, and sometimes I forget I'm even wearing my contacts 'cause they don't hurt or anything.

I do miss the looks of my glasses sometimes. I really look geeky with them on! [Smile]

--------------------

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 07:55      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Need I say more?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 07:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*phwoar*

--------------------

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 08:03      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 5 year old son has followed in the family tradition and has received his first pair of glasses.

According to him the best reason ever to wear glasses is because "now I look like a handsome professor". [Smile]

He does look cute in them. He is my mini-geek.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 08:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
 -

Need I say more?

I'd do her three ways from Tuesday.

Y'know.. if she dropped the restraining order.
... and would give me the time of day.
.. and I wasn't engaged to be married.

... fsck.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 08:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, but glasses get in the way when you're cuddling. It's easier and more comfortable to bury your face in the corner of his neck and shoulder when you're not wearing bits of metal and/or hard plastic on your face.

/me doesn't speak from experience. Oh no, not at all... :innocent: :whistling:

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 14 posted February 13, 2006 09:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
~*-SCHWING-*~

-

Velma, sweet Velma.... [hearts]

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 09:36      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It pretty much boils down to physical activity. I switched to contacts after finally hitting the limit on how many times I would push my glasses back into place while riding my bicycle. Also, if I was wearing glasses while working on my car, sweat would drip onto the insides of the lenses and pool there, making it a toss-up as to whether corrected or uncorrected vision was clearer.

The only downsides to contacts are the extra effort to put them in and take them out, and washing them, and they're slighly less sharp than my glasses. I have astigmatism also, so while I have no trouble reading my 21" CRT monitor at 1600x1200, road signs at night sometimes get a bit close before the streaks go away enough to make them legible.

My contacts are so comfortable I was able to wear them 18 hours the first day, and I have been able to wear them two days in a row without any trouble.

I replaced my old glasses (you can see them in the GC gallery) at the same time I got contacts. I got a woman's help picking them out to make sure I got something good (Worked! After showing up at work with glasses for the first time since contacts, the women who told me I should get contacts in the first place said I didn't have to wear the contacts all the time now.). I also opted for the anti-reflective coating. If you're going to highlight your eyes with a good frame, give people the pleasure of seeing them!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 12:07      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Con: You have to buy an extra pair for prescription sunglasses if you want shaded eyes while you're driving.

I have hinged clip on sunglasses. When it is sunny I clip them on. If a hill or something blocks the sun I just flip them up.

You can get prescription scuba goggles, so I amage you can get presciption ski goggles as well.

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 12:59      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have worn glasses since I was 13(10 yrs now). I love them. The way they look, feel and I can see better without touching my eyes. Contacts always have that slight blur I can never get used to and my eyes are already extremely sensitive so a hair in my eye while I am at work and I am blind for the rest of the day with smeared makeup because my eyes tend to over tear. [Razz]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 21:39      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to wear glasses, ever since I was a little girl I always took my mom's pair of glasses and wore them ^^ Now I take my dad's, somehow they look better than my mom's =D
After so much use of other people's glasses and hours of sitting infront of a computer every day (my work is to be in the computer, at school I am in front of the computer and when I get home guess what do I do ^_^~) you'd guess I would need glasses, but last time I went to an eye doctor, he scolded me saying that I shouldn't go waste my money in exams because I had good sight ;_;
And as someone said it already, guys with glasses look better than without them ^_^;

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture