homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Blech

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blech
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 02, 2006 14:42      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever gone to drink water directly from the faucet only to be met with the taste of liquid soap?

Not that just happened to me say....5 minutes ago... I'm just checking with you guys. 0.o;;

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 14:57      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a glass.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 16:56      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But just think how shiny clean your innards are now.

In fact, you should thank the water treatment plant for not doing its job. They're just looking out for you.

Next time you'll probably taste detergent or bleach and it'll take care of those really really nasty stains! See! Those water guys care!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

JB
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 06:16      Profile for JB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
...you should thank the water treatment plant for not doing its job. They're just looking out for you....

It's probably not the water treatment plant. Instead, you might thank the last person who washed his or her hands/hair/dishes/etc. there, and dripped soap on the faucet.

JB

Frost
Geek
Member # 1267

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 08:29      Profile for Frost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you should thank them for cleaning the faucet rather than leting it become a germ infested petri dish.

--------------------
Success requires no explanations, Failure permits no alibis.

Posts: 217 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 03, 2006 08:35      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought of it that way....

You all are the optimistic bunch arentcha?

Thanks!

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Zeus
Newbie Larva
Member # 4879

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 12:27      Profile for Zeus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still wondering why you drink water - coke, pepsi, vodka.... I understand, but water.....?

--------------------
If you can't convince them, confuse them.

MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 21:13      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother believes too much pop will kill us all. That's why I smuggle pop home from the theatre where I run the light and sound boards for "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" The show ends tomorrow night though... I don't know what I'll do for my fix then... [cry baby]

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 22:57      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will have to clandestinely drink your fav beverage elsewhere. make sure to have the mission impossible theme playing in the background when you do [Wink]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 23:31      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The jigs's still out on pop.

Cola contains: phosphoric acid. It literally leaches your bones when you water the urethra. Bodies can't dispense of it without some calcium. My doctor literally told me "when you drink cola you pee out your bones." Only dark colas typically contain this stuff.

Caramel color: no one knows what effect a buildup of this goo has on a human body. That's why "Crystal Pepsi" was introduced back in the 1990s. Everyone hated it so much that Pepsi had to go back to the goo. Again, usually only dark colas contain it.

Ewwwww...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 23:34      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crystal pepsi?
sounds like a highly addictive version of pepsi.

"hey man do ya want some crystal pepsi?, the first ones free!"

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 23:36      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you need to know (except for the caramel color and phosphoric acid stuff):

Crystal Pepsi - now but a relic...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 17:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ewomack wrote:
Cola contains: phosphoric acid. It literally leaches your bones when you water the urethra. Bodies can't dispense of it without some calcium. My doctor literally told me "when you drink cola you pee out your bones." Only dark colas typically contain this stuff.

I'm going to go on a bit of a rant now...

Please smack your doctor and tell him to stop getting his medical information from health store nutbags who don't research anything properly.

Phosphorus binds with calcium in your blood stream and lowers the level of serum calcium there. Your body will react if, and only if, the calcium level in your blood stream drops too low by releasing parathyroid hormone which will, in extreme cases, leech enough calcium out of your bones to make a difference.

A 12 ounce can of soda contains about 50 mg of phosphorus and no calcium to offset the intake. But An ounce of peanuts contains over 100 mg of phosphorus and about 15 mg of calcium, which doesn't come close to offsetting the calcium drop due to phosphorus. How about a beer instead? Typically over 150mg of phosphorus and less than 20mg of calcium. A waffle, maybe? Typically over 250mg of phosphorus and less than 50mg of calcium. A serving of All-Bran cereal? Over 350mg of phosphorous and about 20mg of calcium (the calcium in the milk you have with it is mostly calcium phosphate... already bound to phosphorous in the right proportion)

Has your doctor told you that eating all bran cereal is like ripping your spine out with a pair of rusty pliers? Probably not.

The fact is, unless you're either not getting enough calcium in your diet or you're suffering from kidney failure (how'd you think I knew all this?), these numbers don't mean anything for you and you don't have to worry about them.

Don't think I'm saying cola is good for you, however... drink three cans a day and you're getting 20-25% of your calorie intake without getting any nutrition along with it. There can also be issues with the sugar, the acidity and so forth if you overindulge, but overindulging in anything is generally going to be bad for you.

/rant

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 21:29      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink Diet Colas. They taste better and well...no need to worry about the calories. As for all that other stuff...eh, you only live once? I'd rather die at 25 without regrets as opposed to live to 100 and wishing I'd enjoyed myself more in my youth. So dammit, I'm drinking my cola!!!

--------------------
{insert something witty}

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 07:56      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MandysRad:
I drink Diet Colas. They taste better and well...no need to worry about the calories. As for all that other stuff...eh, you only live once? I'd rather die at 25 without regrets as opposed to live to 100 and wishing I'd enjoyed myself more in my youth. So dammit, I'm drinking my cola!!!

I cannot STAND the taste of aspartame. The nasty taste it leaves behind in your mouth.

I'll take regular Cola thanks.

But I totally agree with the die at 25 having lived life instead of dying at 100 and having done nothing.

I'm not going to walk into traffic or set any children on fire or anything that would greatly expedite my departure, but I'm not going to stop drinking Cola, stop eating things I enjoy, or all the various other things you're supposed to do to not get various things in life. It's not worth it.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 09:15      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I cannot STAND the taste of aspartame. The nasty taste it leaves behind in your mouth.

I drink regular Coke most of the time, but kosher Coke is to regular Coke as regular Coke is to Diet. Mmm ... cane sugar!

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 12:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
I drink regular Coke most of the time, but kosher Coke is to regular Coke as regular Coke is to Diet. Mmm ... cane sugar!

Kosher Coke?

WTF is un-kosher about corn syrup, caffeine, and fizzy water?

btw - it's good to hear merkins say that merkin coke tastes bad, I thought so when I was there. Real (aussie) Coke is make with proper sugar, none of this corn syrup nonsense.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 12:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, I'm only a shegetz, but I'd have to guess it's in the preparation more than anything.

I don't drink soda, so I really couldn't even begin to figure it out. I'll have to ask a colleague of mine who used to work for that company, as well as its competitor. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 12:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. I don't know which recipe is followed here in Canada. Here's the recipe off of the (one of many) Pepsi cans on my desk in front of me:

carbonated water, glucose-fructose and/or sugar, caramel colour, phosphoric acid, caffeine, citric acid and flavours.

Looks like they cover both possibilities on these cans: "glucose-fructose and/or sugar".

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 13:59      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the coke in mexico made with sugar? I thought it tasted different down there... but maybe that's only cause it was measured in metric litres [Wink]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 16:27      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, coke in Mexico has real sugar. Sometimes we can find it here in glass bottles, and it tastes much better. But, I usually drink the diet variety and I've got a craving for one right now.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 01:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer my own question, it turns out that corn-syrup coke is Kosher, but not kosher enough for Passover when grain products are forbidden.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture