homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Our final journey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Our final journey
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 06:55      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was clearing out a desk drawer, and I found some pictures (yes, paper pictures, remember them?) from a museum visit last year. I took this shot because this would be a great way to make that final journey....the one that none of us can avoid! I wondered if anyone else has something specific in mind for their last journey?

-

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 09:59      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh mercy! That's just so macabre! [Eek!]
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:12      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't mind the usual Trek thing; being shot out of the ship to float for eternity amongst the stars.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:26      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gummash...the real question is: Bury or Cremate?

I want to be cremated but not sure where I want to be placed. [crazy]

*edit: Nice ride

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 11:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, want to be cremated. If I'm dead, there's really no sense in me taking up six feet by 3 feet by 7 feet of space or so. Just burn me and throw my ashes somewhere. Or throw me out in the wild to be consumed by animals and have me properly break down and biodegrade.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 11:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie - it's a little bit more macabre than it appears at first [Frown] The museum used to be a Workhouse (in the 1800s), where paupers could get basic food and a room, in return for long hours of soul-destroying manual labour. Workhouses were definitely the last resort. Eventually, this workhouse became a hospital, and because it was so remote they needed a way to transport the deceased into the nearest town to the graveyard. The horse and cart was replaced with this magnificent Norton & side-coffin sometime around 1920-1930.

Matias - for me, the answer is definitely burial. Cremation is much cheaper than burial in the UK as the high cost of land has prevented the expansion of existing graveyards.
However, as a pagan, it is important to me for my corpse to return to the earth and, through decomposition, be absorbed back into the earth. There is a growing number of Woodland burial sites in the UK, as opposed to religious graveyards, where a non-religious burial can be arranged in a bio-degradeable coffin (cardboard or whicker) and a commemorative tree planted. If I can afford it when the time comes, this is the way for me.

edited for spelling

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 11:12      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashes at sea. Dependent on any environmental impact, of course.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 12:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to be freeze dried and shaken, but I don't believe it's available here.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 12:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
However, as a pagan, it is important to me for my corpse to return to the earth and, through decomposition, be absorbed back into the earth.

Have you considered donating yourself to the local lost dogs home?

Or perhaps burial at sea would be a little less confronting (but with much the same result).

Personally, I don't care what happens to my mortal remains once I'm finished with them, they can put me out the front in a green plastic bag on bin day if they like, you won't hear me complain.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
sancho
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 12:45      Profile for sancho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to be compressed into a diamond i.e. cubic zircona. My wife's next husband could then use the stone for an engagement setting. She did promise not to bring a date to my funeral.

--------------------
Geologists for the reunification of Pangea!!!

Posts: 14 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 13:25      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Have you considered donating yourself to the local lost dogs home?

There's a thought...if all usuable organs are harvested for transplant in a timely manner...there should be plenty of good meat left for the hounds [Big Grin]

--------------------

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 14:07      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a bitchin' idea pictured there...

I've already donated my body to science, but perhaps I can edit the will to request cooler transport to the autopsy table. [Big Grin]

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 05:57      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I, too, want to be cremated. If I'm dead, there's really no sense in me taking up six feet by 3 feet by 7 feet of space or so. Just burn me and throw my ashes somewhere. Or throw me out in the wild to be consumed by animals and have me properly break down and biodegrade.

By law in NYS, if the ground was a former cemetary they CANNOT build housing or construction on it, when the cemetary closes and the graves are removed. It's a violation of the NYC Department of Buildings code, to mix construction debris with human remains, i.e. the cemetary.

I tell my parents over and over, if I die, just cremate me and spend my money like it's Louisanna. If I am dead, my money does me no good.

I also told them if I get hit by a car, or killed in a terrorist attack, to just go to the bank and take my money out and spend it. No use letting it go to waste.

When you buy burial property you get a 30 year deed to the parcel of land. So in essence, I am a burden to society for 30 years AFTER I'm dead. I see no point in wasting resources.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/cnsl/cemreg.html

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 07:01      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Dig hole
2. Throw body in
3. ???
4. Profit!!!

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 07:05      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like the tree/bush idea that some of you have mentioned. Maybe I will add that to my cremation ceremony. [Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 12:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:
When you buy burial property you get a 30 year deed to the parcel of land. So in essence, I am a burden to society for 30 years AFTER I'm dead. I see no point in wasting resources.

In the UK there is a lot of pressure to sell rural land to property developers, although there is plenty of urban land that can be redeveloped for housing. The growing interest in Woodland burials takes advantage of agricultural "set-aside' land whereby other uses are found for agricultural land that was over-producing against food quotas.

The result is that rural green spaces are being secured for long-term public access and property developers are being forced to regenerate inner-city areas. So, although I can't speak for NYS, in the UK this type of burial protects resources and doesn't drain them. I can see that in other circumstances, cremation is more socially responsible.

--------------------

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 12:06      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that woodland burial sounds great. I remember telling my mother that I wanted to be wrapped in one of my quilts and an apple tree planted over me. First she said that would be gross. the thought of eating an apple from a tree over my burial site made her queasy. Then she told me it was against the laws. That was about 10 years ago so maybe the laws here have been changed. I'll have to check it out.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 12:18      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YaYawoman: an apple tree would be a classy choice ( in a variety that is local to your area) but for me it has to be a Rowan . Mrs Grummash has been advised accordingly [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 12:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would prefer cremation, and I always liked the idea of my ashes being scattered in a Giant Sequoia grove.

Of course, I have to wonder about the legality of that. Those groves are generally protected, though some do extend onto private land, if I recall correctly.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 12:42      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd gladly donate my body for teleportation experiments.. [Razz]

Who knows, maybe something goes wrong and I end up in the parallel universe... as the emperror of earth [evil]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 13:56      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll probably be cremated. We have a plot back home, but it costs too much to get a body there. So my mom and grandpa were cremated.

I did have some of my mom's ashes incorporated in a glass sculpture. I had a sculpture made for each of us kids. It is so beautiful and everyone loves theirs. My niece pats it and says hi to grandma each morning.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 15:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
YaYawoman: an apple tree would be a classy choice ( in a variety that is local to your area) but for me it has to be a Rowan . Mrs Grummash has been advised accordingly [Big Grin]

Well of course you'll be remembered with a rowan. It's the most holy of all holy trees. I've always wanted to see a live rowan; thus far I've only read about them.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 15:12      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the cremation group. However if I was to be buried it would be in a spring loaded coffin, set to catapult my remains upwards on removal of the lid. That would make Time Team 2200 a bit more interesting [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 10:58      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funeral of one of the firefighters that died in the Victorian bushfires was on the news tonight and his coffin was transported in a sidecar. For some reason it made me think of this thread.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture