homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Diet tips (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Diet tips
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 21:33      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the post from that guy who seemed to trolling. Quite immature and rather pitiful. Anyway, it got me thinking about my own diet and some information I've come across in the last few years. When I met my wife I was at least 15 pounds overweight. Not a lot, but most of my family has struggled with weight issues; my brothers and mother (while she was alive) specifically. One of the first things that changed in my diet was that I stopped eating fast food. Within a few months I had lost most of the extra weight. And, yet, I still ate cakes, ice cream, cookies, etc. Not a lot, but at least once a week. And, in fact, we both still maintain that part of our diet. A couple of years ago we began researching diets for dogs as our dog is allergic to most everything, including grains. We ended up putting her on a BARF diet (bones and raw food), and 99% of her allergies and health problems disappeared. We then decided to place our two cats on a raw diet as well. What we found out during our investigations is that when foods are heated and cooked their chemical makeup is changed, and many of the essential fatty acids are also changed. While this is fine for humans, as we've adapted to cook food, it's actually very unhealthy for our cats and dogs. What is unhealthy for humans, though, is Trans fats (transmogriphied fats). These fats are created when oil is super heated, as is any hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils (such as Crisco), oils used in deep fat friers (especially when used over and over throughout a full day). Essentially what happens is that the essential fatty acid becomes twisted so that while it still attaches to our cells it can't be brought in, and the cell doesn't grab the nutrients in the way that it should. So, while we feel full, on a cellular level we are actually starving, and our body asks for more food. The more we eat and can't use, the more that gets stored as fat.

This is fairly simplistic, but if you Google for "trans fat" you should be able to find some good information. In our diet we pretty much cut out the oils (when we cook at home), and we even have a high carb intake. Right now, with moderate excercise, I'm down to what I weighed in high school. We still eat junk occassionaly and we still eat out (about once a week). I truly believe that if you remove the trans fats from your diet you will see a nearly immediate weight loss without doing much else. Of course, having a low fat diet also helps tremendously, and exercise will do more good than anything else.

I just wanted to share my experiences and thoughts with the hope that it would be helpful to someone.

Regards,
Tweey

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 19, 2006 21:55      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very informative post, thanks!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 04:26      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, thank you, that's really interesting. Now I have another reason to annoy people by saying "you learn something new every day!" all the time [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 05:28      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trans is not short for transmogriphied. It is not short for anything.

Fat is essential in a human diet, although most people eat too much of it. Trans fats are also present in a number of natural foods, such as milk.

quote:
Essentially what happens is that the essential fatty acid becomes twisted so that while it still attaches to our cells it can't be brought in, and the cell doesn't grab the nutrients in the way that it should. So, while we feel full, on a cellular level we are actually starving, and our body asks for more food. The more we eat and can't use, the more that gets stored as fat.
And this sentence is almost certainly a load of rubbish. Whilst I can't be bothered searching for a refutation, if the cells can't absorb it, then it won't be metabolised and cannot be stored as fat, or anything else. Hunger is also not regulated in this way.

Remember kids, don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially if it concerns slimming or body-part enlargement. More often than not, people are just trying to sell you something.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 07:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Littlefish is correct here. Trans, as in trans-fat, is used as the opposite of cis; that's simply a description of how the atoms are linked together in the molecular chain. This FDA page explain it quite well.

But it may be possible that trans and saturated fat cannot be metabolised (or not as easily as poly- and mono-insaturated fat). This would explain how the "bad fats" increase the cholesterol levels. (By the way, polyinsaturated fats are beneficial because they can reduce the level of saturated fats by "stealing" hydrogen atoms from their chains. Or that's how I understand it, but I could be wrong.)

Bottom line: the only proven way to loose weight is to burn more calories than you take in; and the best way to loose weight is to do it slowly. Our genetical code has not yet get rid of the "prepare in case of dearth" mechanisms that ensured the survival of many societies ever since pre-historic era (and still now, for some areas of the world).

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 20:29      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mistake on Trans fat. As for the ability to metabolise trans fats, there seems to be some recognition that the capacity to use such man made fats is questionable. Here are a couple of links that talk about trans fats, the first from a human perspective, the second from a vet speaking about the benefits of the BARF diet over commercial, cooked pet foods.

http://www.cyberparent.com/nutrition/hydrogenated1.htm

and

http://www.barfworld.com/html/learn_more/efa.shtml

I don't bring this up lightly, and while, yes, keeping caloric intake down will help one to lose weight, over all health needs to be considered. I lost my mother to colon cancer before she reached 60, and my father recently had triple bypass surgery due to 100% blockage in two arteries and 80% in a third. His cholesteral levels are considered quite normal. Trans fats, whether natural or produced during the hydrogenation process cause many health problems, not just weight gain. All living creatures that rely on Omega-3 and -6 fatty acids are harmed by trans fats and hydrogenated oils.

And, littlefish, yes, if your body is not receiving the type of nutrition it needs, it will continue to seek out food until it is sated. Please see the link below:
http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html

If you wish to refute the validity of the claims presented in the website, please do so. I am very interested in anything that can shed the correct light on what exactly trans fats and hydrogenated oils do to a persons body.

Simply, trans fats and hydrogenated oils increase the bad cholesteral in the blood stream and lower the good. I have come across some information that links trans fat and hydrogenation with cancer and diabetes, but it was cursory information at best, so I don't know how strong of a link exists, if any. To be honest, I'm surprised that, considering the severe negative health aspects of trans fat and hydrogenated oil that there hasn't been more attention shed on the problem. Although, I did see that Kraft has been working toward eliminating trans fats from their foods.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 04:12      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And, littlefish, yes, if your body is not receiving the type of nutrition it needs, it will continue to seek out food until it is sated. Please see the link below:
http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html

If you wish to refute the validity of the claims presented in the website, please do so. I am very interested in anything that can shed the correct light on what exactly trans fats and hydrogenated oils do to a persons body.

Quite frankly I have better things to do with my time than point out every flaw in this guys reasoning. It does irritate me intensely that this guy is proclaiming that he knows the truth whilst "the man" is trying to poison us for profit.

His writing style shows that he does not know what he is talking about, and he should stick to writing about golf and java.

I don't really want to get in an argument, you believe what you want. However, just because some muppet has written a webpage with some long words on it doesn't make it true.

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 05:45      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I changed my mind. I don't have anything better to do than point out this guys flaws.

quote:

What's Wrong with
Partially Hydrogenated Oils?

Summary
Consuming partially hydrogenated oils is like inhaling cigarette smoke. They will kill you -- slowly, over time, but as surely as you breathe. And in the meantime, they will make you fat!
(1700 words)
by Eric Armstrong
[quote]
Everybody dies of something. There is no effort shown by the author to justify how these fats will kill you, no links to any studies that say this, and I can find no evidence that trans fats have been scientifically linked to anything other than high cholesterol. I haven't looked too hard though.

[quote]
Why Fats are Important

The first thing to understand about fats is that the essential fatty acids they contain are truly essential. They are the "active ingredient" in every bodily process you can name:
• brain cell function and nervous system activity
• hormones and intra-cellular messengers
• glandular function and immune system operation
• hemoglobin oxygen-transport system
• cell wall function:
• passing oxygen into the cell
• passing nutrients into the cell
• keeping foreign bodies out of the cell
• digestive-tract operation
• assimilating nutrients
• blocking out allergens
In short, the essential fatty acids (contained mostly in polyunsaturated oils) are the most important nutrients there are -- more important than vitamins, minerals, or even proteins. Because, without them, there is no life. They are the substance and foundation of life energy.

The substance and foundation of life energy? WTF is this phrase supposed to signify? I don't know the full metabolic pathway of every nutrient in the body, but the argument that fatty acids are the most important or "active ingredient" is spurious, at best, and a complete lie at worst. Water is involved in all the processes listed, as are proteins. Without water or proteins, there is no life, so surely these are the most important?

quote:

Until the 1970's, food producers used coconut oil to get that buttery flavor and texture. The American obesity epidemic began when it was replaced with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil -- most often soybean oil. For more information, see Coconut Oil and Palm Kernel Oil: Miracle Medicine and Diet Pill.

Anything that says "miracle medicine" should not be trusted. There is no such thing and the mere use of the phrase suggests that the guy is a quack.

quote:

What's Wrong with Hydrogenation?
Unlike butter or virgin coconut oil, hydrogenated oils contain high levels of trans fats. A trans fat is an otherwise normal fatty acid that has been "transmogrified", by high-heat processing of a free oil. The fatty acids can be double-linked, cross-linked, bond-shifted, twisted, or messed up in a variety of other ways.

The author uses pseudoscience saying that trans is short for "transmogrified". Which it isn't. This demonstrates a basic lack of chemical knowledge.

quote:

The problem with trans fats is that while the "business end" (the chemically active part) is messed up, the "anchor end" (the part that is attached to the cell wall) is unchanged. So they take up their position in the cell wall, like a guard on the fortress wall. But like a bad guard, they don't do their job! They let foreign invaders pass unchallenged, and they stop supplies at the gates instead of letting them in.

As far as I am aware, fats only act as a membrane for cells as part of the phospholipid bi-layer. Transport across this layer is through protein channels, and will not be affected by the fats.

quote:

In short, trans fats are poisons, just like arsenic or cyanide. They interfere with the metabolic processes of life by taking the place of a natural substance that performs a critical function. And that is the definition of a poison.

The OED defines poison differently:
quote:

Any substance which, when introduced into or absorbed by a living organism, destroys life or injures health, irrespective of mechanical means or direct thermal changes. Popularly applied to a substance capable of destroying life by rapid action, and when taken in a small quantity.

(emphasis mine)
Someone who says, "And that is the definition of xxx", is generally an idiot, and it isn't the definition of whatever they said it was.

quote:

Your body has no defense against them, because they never even existed in our two billion years of evolution -- so we've never had the need or the opportunity to evolve a defense against them.

Rubbish - Trans fat exists in both meat and dairy produce.

quote:

Partially Hydrogenated Oils Make You Fat!
Partially hydrogenated oils will not only kill you in the long term by producing diseases like multiple sclerosis and allergies that lead to arthritis, but in the meantime they will make you fat!

Whilst I don't know if hydorgenated oils have been linked to such diseases, they will only make you fat if you eat too much of them. Of course, eating too much of anything will make you fat, whether it is fruit and veg, or meat and pies.

OK, I've had enough now of dealing with the minutiae of the web page. The author has a sensationalist writing style, a poor understanding of science, and I would treat anything he says with scepticism.

As I said, eat what you want. I really don't care if you want to be vegan, fruitarian, cannibal, or one of those nutters that claim they only need air to live. I don't claim to be a dietary expert, but I know more chemistry than this bloke. This leads me to believe that what he says has very little scientific basis, and he should be ignored.

I hat neo-luddites. They should not be allowed medicine.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 12:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is inspiring me to go back through my text books. But they're up in my lab so I'll post the diatribe later. It's been a couple years since I had my last TA position so I'm a bit rusty on this shit.

A quick point or two on metabolism in living things.

First, it's complicated, and the more complicated the critter the more complicated the metablic pathways and the way these pathways are controlled get. We understand bacteria pretty damn well. The details on humans are still being hammered out. There's no easy answers ars far as what the ideal human diet is, which is why experts will agree that balance is the key and the overall measure is what kind of shape you are in right now. I don't eat meat. You can harp all you want on how that's not healthy, I'm defecient in protein, iron, and B vitamins, but the fact is I'm not defecient in anything. I can get away with my diet. Other people can get away with not eating vegetables. But that doesn't make their diet right for everyone any more than it makes it right for me to tell everyone it's better to be vegetarian.

Second, the fundamental role of metabolism is to generate ATP (adenosine triphosphate). That is the alpha and the omega. The beginning and the end. You stop generating ATP and your cells come to a screeching halt and you die. ATP in animals is generated primarily through glycolysis, the TCA cycle, and the respiratory chain. The glyclysis pathway operates entirely on glucose, which is why, if you eat straight up glucose, you get a sugar high like you wouldn't believe. Everything else you eat, be it complex sugars, protein, or fat, is going to get broken down/converted to glucose or get broken down/converted into some other molecule that is further down the pathway. To say that fat is the basis of life is erroneous at best. In a living cell (and we're really all just piles of cells) it all comes back to glucose.

Of course, it does get quite complicated. Fat and protein "burn" slower because it takes longer for them to get broken down into the useful bits and shoved into the pathway. Complex carbs also burn slower than simpler sugars for similar reasons. You get the sugar rush from simple sugars because they hit your blood stream and then your cells much faster than anything else. And then you've got various hormones and other signalling molecuels coming into polay and it becomes an even bigger mess. This is why biochemistry departments the world over have giant posters covered in little tiny writing on their walls. These posters are metabolic maps. I may even have one myself - I'm sure one of my textbooks came with one. They outline all characterized pathways in the cell. And at the center of the map, guess what you find? Glycolysis and the TCA cycle.

Finally, and this has nothing to do with metabolism, but, in chemistry terms, "trans" is not short for anything. Trans is a structural term. It's used in a variety of ways, but when talking about molecules it means that, in a molecule witha double bond, the stuff on the other sides of the double bonds is pointing off in opposite directions relative to the bond. As opposed to cis, where the stuff is going in the same direction relative to the bond. That was about as clear as mud. Google for pics or go to the library and skim through an organic chemistry text. They'll illustrate all in the first couple chapters. IIRC, you can not convert from cis to trans without first breaking one of the bonds in the double.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 13:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just eat whatever you like, it all comes out the same in the end. Speaking of the original topic, anorexia nervosa - putting "die" back in "diet."
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 13:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compulsive overeating of Southern food: putting the "i et" back in diet.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 13:39      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
We ended up putting her on a BARF diet

-  -  -

Ok, no, seriously, dieting and watching your "trans fats" and your "partially hydrogenated oils" is...well, beyond the point. You lose weight by taking in fewer calories than you burn every day. You stay healthy by eating fewer processed foods. It's not that hard.

I've been doing freeweights and eating practically nothing but stir fried beef and raw vegetables. My weight has actually gone up, but that's because I'm turning my body fat into muscle...my beer pooch is disappearing rapidly. It's really, really as not as complicated as folks make it out to be.

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 16:32      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
We ended up putting her on a BARF diet

-  -  -

Ok, no, seriously, dieting and watching your "trans fats" and your "partially hydrogenated oils" is...well, beyond the point. You lose weight by taking in fewer calories than you burn every day. You stay healthy by eating fewer processed foods. It's not that hard.

I've been doing freeweights and eating practically nothing but stir fried beef and raw vegetables. My weight has actually gone up, but that's because I'm turning my body fat into muscle...my beer pooch is disappearing rapidly. It's really, really as not as complicated as folks make it out to be.

You must've unknowingly met my mom somewhere. That's exactly what she says about losing weight. She'd know, too... that crazy old woman is in pretty decent shape for her age and having had three ginormous kids.

Lift, run, and don't eat as much. That's a recipe for weight loss.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 16:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't eat fast food at all. I am not a 300 pound person sat at my computer doing nothing. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 16:48      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I don't eat fast food at all. I am not a 300 pound person sat at my computer doing nothing. [Smile]

"sat"? Dman, have you been drinking again? [Big Grin]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 17:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, he's speaking British again. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 17:41      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh. Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 17:52      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diets are overrated. I probably eat more fat in a week (mmm, bacon) than most diet-obsessed people eat in a month, yet I'm not gaining any weight. Stop wasting all that time trying to calculate how many calories you just ingested, go burn them off instead. Heck, even walking a few miles instead of driving will help your weight loss much more than constantly eating tofurkeyburgers instead of a triple bacon cheeseburger.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 19:30      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All diets can be siphoned down into this: "DON'T EAT CRAP AND MOVE!!" Exercise and a sane diet will usually lead to health. About Trans fats, though, they just started appearing on food labels in the US, and it still isn't a requirement, but the "Trans fat craze" in the US led some manufacturers to include it anyway. So at least they should become easier to avoid.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 20:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on littlefish don't be so hasty!

Fats are transmogrified when, at a sub atomic level their "mog" (or cat) is released. Because , as Schrodinger observed, almost 50% of these cats suffer from cyanide poisoning, the nutritional properties of the fats are necessarily degraded. Makes sense to me.

Or you could take the usual definition of transmogrified - transformed by magic, as a clue that we are not dealing with the most rigourous scientific analysis.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 21:31      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys, for the insight. It has been quite a few years since I've had any decent aquaintance with biology and chemistry. The last webpage I pointed out was done more as a, hey, that's where I read that, than anything else. When compared to other literature I've read, that site looks quite foolish. Although, I have seen quite an improvement in both my cats' health since they've been on their raw diet. In fact, their coats are shinier, they shed less, and they are much more active (double-edged sword, anyone?). I've also noticed that I've felt, in general, healthier, since I've cut a large portion of trans fats and hydrogenated oils out my diet (but who can resist a giant chocolate cake?). And, yes, I did find it strange that trans was equated to transmogrified, didn't seem to add up at the time. But, from the little I did remember of biochem, it made sense to me that anything ingested that interfered with the body's normal exhange of nutrients and wastes was quite harmful.

I think Xanthine makes the most salient point here, that all living creatures are quite complex. And, the more complex a living being the less we fully understand it. Who really knows what these anti-depressants do to a person? Do we really know what the long term health effects are of not eating red meat? Of eating only red meat? What are the evolutionary effects on humans? The human body is quite complex, and what may affect one person may not even be noticed by another. In general, if you keep your caloric intake below or at your caloric expenditure you will lose or maintain your weight. If you refrain from foods that are quickly absorb as fat, you will not gain weight. For some people that means that they can't eat certain types of foods. For others, they can eat anything, in any amount, and make a toothpick look chubby. Hmmm...methinks I begin to ramble. Anyway, I'm glad that this at least stirred up some good discussion, and I brushed up a bit on my bio. I will perform my due diligence more thoroughly in the future and be sure to expel the junk from the gems. especially when sharing information such as this.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 01:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tweety don't apologise. I was just being a smart arse after the event and am just as easily fooled as you by pseudo scientific nonsense, as indeed are a large number of others here. I also suspect that I may not have dealt with being shown up as being conned as gracefully as yourself. One of the joys of this forum is the number of genuinely knowledgeable people here, and it has been fascinating to see littlefish take that man apart.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 03:54      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
It does irritate me intensely that this guy is proclaiming that he knows the truth whilst "the man" is trying to poison us for profit.

You mean McDonald's isn't actually in league with Phizer, trying to turn us all into diabetics for fun and profit? [Eek!]

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 05:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ewomack wrote:
About Trans fats, though, they just started appearing on food labels in the US, and it still isn't a requirement, but the "Trans fat craze" in the US led some manufacturers to include it anyway. So at least they should become easier to avoid.

Actually, it became a requirement on January 1st of this year. It was announced a bit earlier so that manufacturers could put it on any labels they were already changing.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 08:12      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous, I only wanted to apologize for providing suspect information, or at least a suspect source. Actually, this is the most polite and civilized forum area I've come across. Anyway, I've done some more quick research, and found another couple of articles dealing with trans fat. One from the Washington Post (written by a professor emeritus from the U. of Pittsburgh) and another from Healthcastle.com (don't know the validity of this one). Anyway, here are the links.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36400-2005Mar15_2.html

http://www.healthcastle.com/trans_scam.shtml

Both articles do make mention that trans fats integrate themselves into cell membranes and warp them so that they do no longer function properly.

Well, I hope these two are bit more reliable. I'm off to find raw meat for my cats, and maybe get some food for myself.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture