homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Conventions!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Conventions!
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 10:06      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm still recuperating from Arisia, the annual Boston-centric fandom convention...a solid weekend of no sleep, dancing and drinking Rocket Fuel and hyper-socializing and hanging out with fetishists. (I've got the bite marks to prove it, too. [Wink] ) The weekend even managed to go by with absolutely zero drama.

I wish I'd had a camera so I could share the cute girl in her handmade Kaylee ballgown, Firefly-accurate.

Anyhow, I didn't see any other GCers out, but this is a forum full of geeks. Some of you must be fellow con-goers.

So tell me, what's your favorite convention? Where've you had the most fun, the best time? What mind-bending things have you seen at con?

N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 12:09      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My convention I've gone to the most (in fact I've been there every year) is Plattecon (http://www.plattecon.com) which mostly a gaming convention but they also show anime.

Mostly because it is semi-local (about 100 miles from me), I see some college friends (it is basically my homecoming), and I want to keep my perfect attendance record.

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 08:44      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragon*Con is my favorite.

A couple years ago, I chatted with Harlan Ellison briefly. He'd actually sat down next to a friend of mine and started talking with her. This particular friend of mine knows Larry Elmore (if you've ever seen any Dungeons & Dragons artwork (book covers, etc.) then there's a really good chance it was Elmore's work.), so I assumed that when Harlan sat down and started talking, it was because he recognized her. So they talked for a while. Harlan was concerned that his voice was not going to be up to par for the ARTC show that evening, stuff like that.

When he got up and left, my friend turned to me and said, "DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT WAS?", clearly star-struck. It turns out that Harlan and my friend were not acquainted! He was very pleasant to talk with, and formidably intelligent.

Dirk Benedict asked me to watch his table while his handler was away and he had to use the restroom. Richard Hatch made small talk with us once, before the con had even opened. Herb Jefferson Jr. donated at the blood drive.

Karl Urban was a really cool guy: he threw away his snack (a Heineken and a kruller!) to jump over his table to talk to my friends and me. If that's not someone who doesn't appreciate his fans, I don't know what is.

I complimented Wendy Augustine so well that she took her photograph back and wrote "my smooth man" on it, and told the guys in the booth they needed to pay attention and learn from me how that sort of thing was done. But then I made up for it by telling Aria Giovanni that she looked great dressed too (cringe). If you hit Google with those names, expect them to be NSFW.

I went to a GWAR concert.

Best con moment ever: getting kissed in a lesbian bar by a (professional) Xena lookalike. w00t!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 19:44      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
...hanging out with fetishists. (I've got the bite marks to prove it, too. [Wink] )

That's precisely the reason why I don't go to any cons - I like my neck as bitemark-free as possible, thank you very much. I'd rather get a few bruises at a concert when the moshers get too rowdy than get my head half chewed off by some nutso [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 20:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
(I've got the bite marks to prove it, too. [Wink] )
So tell me, what's your favorite convention?

Pennsylvania FFA Summer Convention... and I have the belt buckle to prove it! [Big Grin]

Or was that from Nationals? In any case, I had my first dance ever at Summer Convention. Slow dancing with Tyler Swanson... :swoon:

By the time we were seniors, he had his hands all over the girl he eventually married. [shake head]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture