homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Just curious (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Just curious
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 09:01      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, my friends and I are dangerously addicted to DDR, (Stepmania for computer) Anyone else into that? Is anyone else afraid to play in the arcade? <-- I get made fun of by the little kids that are always standing by the machine if I miss an arrow, which happens alot [blush]

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 09:31      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a DDR master. I love playing in arcades, getting all the chicks around you staring in odd because they know they'd never be able to do. Or when you play some guy who doesn't know what he's doing. You come out a God

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 11:27      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Watson:
Anyone else into that? Is anyone else afraid to play in the arcade?

I play occasionally...all the cycling I do improved my lower-body coordination, so I got really good at it, really quickly.

Unfortunately, I also think it's a stupid, stupid game. It was entertaining at first, but after a few games, I got thoroughly tired of the epilepsy-inducing displays and crappy J-pop. I don't really understand why it was so hugely popular a few years ago...people would wait in line at arcades for an hour just to get a game in.

(Get me drunk and put me in front of a machine, though, and you're in for a show. Somehow I get better and faster at it with more whiskey.)

Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 18:02      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was stupid when it was at it's pinnacle of popularity... I found stepmania for the pc, and a friend torrented something like 1,500 songs for it. It's fun at home becuase of the comfort of being there and the fact that we have 1,500 songs. If one song is annoying, it's time to go to the next one... we still havent gotten through all of the songs yet lol.

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 01:53      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love DDR! I have Stepmania, and I'm getting into SMOnline (here are my stats).

If anyone wants to play SMO, I'll be up for it (but time difference might be a problem). Disclaimer: I use the keyboard, not a dance pad. Whenever I try to play in the arcade, I always end up embarassing myself.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 04:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I play too. And DDR (on playstation 2, with dance mat), not Stepmania. Although I can impress beginners, I can't get through a "heavy" dance pattern (but I usually succeed at almost all at the "standard" level, and I'm not the kind to practice for hours in order to master a tough one, so I just end up playing my favorite at a level just challenging enough to keep me interested.

So, Alfrin, quick question for you: does a DDR master can really get a AA rating or more at the heavy level?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 05:42      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like DDR also: I have the first one, and I recently picked up DDR Extreme 2 but I haven't played it yet. DDR and Eye Toy: Play are usually hits at parties since the controls are so easy to understand.

I'm not quite brave enough to play in an arcade, though. The players I've seen go at it with a vengeance. I watched one kid who'd memorized the patterns so well he could turn around and face the audience!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 06:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So am I the only one who's confused at all the people playing DDR?

If you went 1 year before the existence of DDR into the past, and told all these people who play this damned game that they'd be playing a game that was called "Dance Dance Revolution" they'd probably make some comment questioning your sexual alignment, and tell you to fsck off.

Those are the kids playing it now!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 08:51            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have DDR Ultramix 2 for Xbox, with the dance pad. It's a shame I haven't really been able to play it since my knee injury nearly a year ago.

I was never very good at it even before the knee injury, but I was trying, at least.

IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 12:06      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything godlike about some dude stomping around like he got a bad seizure.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 13:33      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything godlike about some dude stomping around like he got a bad seizure.

Yeah, but you're a metalhead. You think stuff like this is bitchin':
 -

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 14:20      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Headbanging isn't exactly dancing, if you ask me. But then again, neither is DDR-induced epilepsy [Smile] If I'm ever in the mood to bust my knees, I grab my skis and spend some quality time on double black runs (or hit a nice bumpy trail on my bike if there's no snow in sight,) not hop around on a platform with a bunch of blinking lights.
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 14:36      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another reason that I play is that it's a video game that keeps me in shape. I've lost weight since starting haha

-Stepmania seems to have a glitch or something, I'm pretty terrible at 'heavy' mode, but I hit mostly only the up arrows in one song and cleared. How the heck...

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 18:43      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Another reason that I play is that it's a video game that keeps me in shape. I've lost weight since starting haha

Dude, GET A BIKE!
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 18:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double blacks, huh? I'm only impressed if they aren't like the double blacks at Bristol. [Razz]

When are you going to come out west and try skiing on good snow? We've got chest deep powder in CO...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 19:03      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Double blacks, huh? I'm only impressed if they aren't like the double blacks at Bristol. [Razz]

When are you going to come out west and try skiing on good snow? We've got chest deep powder in CO...

Somewhat harder than the ones in Bristol, but still pretty lame, especially by West Coast standards - i.e. one wouldn't need to look for bits and pieces of his helmet, skull and brain all over the trail after a bad wipeout [Smile]

PS: Speaking of Bristol, at least I wasn't the one who got stuck in the middle of a mogul field [Razz]

Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 19:30      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Dude, GET A BIKE!
Dude, not to get off on the worng foot here, but I didn't say that DDR was the only physical thing I do. BTW: I remember the name of the forum being called Geek Culture, Being cool isn't my primary concern, not here ^_^ Should I ride my bike because it's the "in thing to do?" that would be a little hypocritical IMHO.
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 19:49      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dude, GET A BIKE!
Dude, not to get off on the worng foot here, but I didn't say that DDR was the only physical thing I do. BTW: I remember the name of the forum being called Geek Culture, Being cool isn't my primary concern, not here ^_^ Should I ride my bike because it's the "in thing to do?" that would be a little hypocritical IMHO.
Oh Demos, where art thou? You need to educate that poor, misguided soul and set him on the right path. You can always call on Brother Kudgel (sp?) to assist you with this difficult task.
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 19:51      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dude, GET A BIKE!
Well said.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 21:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr Watson, I'm not sure if biking is so much the "in" thing to do as there're a couple evangelical fanatic cyclists on this board who will take you to task if you dare suggest that there's another way to get fit. I disagree, even though I bike daily. I feel free to disagree mainly because I'm not afraid of cudgels. [Razz]

quote:
PS: Speaking of Bristol, at least I wasn't the one who got stuck in the middle of a mogul field [Razz]

Hasn't been a day for me if I haven't made the witnesses say ouch or gotten stuck in the bumps.

The funny thing is I never seek either of the two out. THey just happen. On one memorable day last season, I first escaped an oncoming grooming machine by diving into a bunch of bumps and then later somehow did a handless cartwheel while trying to make a sharp turn off a cat-track and onto a run. Unfortunately, I was about halfway through the cartwheel when I remembered I really don't know how to do a handless cartwheel and promptly landed on my neck and shoulders so hard that the two people cruising by said ouch. I'm very grateful for that. It saved me the trouble.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 21:58      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I feel free to disagree mainly because I'm not afraid of cudgels. [Razz]

Bet she also got brother morgenstern handy, specifically for those who aren't afraid of brother cudgel. Luckily, I was never properly introduced to either one of them, and I would prefer to keep it that way [Smile]
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 07:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:

-

MY LOVE FOR YOU IS LIKE A TRUCK, BERSERKER!
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME MAKING FUCK, BERSERKER!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 07:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:

-

MY LOVE FOR YOU IS LIKE A TRUCK, BERSERKER!
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME MAKING FUCK, BERSERKER!

That's beautiful, man!
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 12:34      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Should I ride my bike because it's the "in thing to do?" that would be a little hypocritical IMHO.

Cycling isn't trendy or "in," cycling is a fantastic way to build up coordination, lower body muscles, and cardiovascular health. On a fixed-gear bike, you get a constant, easy-to-monitor workout, and if you're dragging a full courier pack around on your shoulders, you get strong there, too.

It gets you out of the house for some sun, which, coming from someone in the goth/industrial scene, should make you go [Eek!] , but with a healthy application of sunscreen, you get the benefits of vitamin D and stave off seasonal depression.

Biking in a large city or traffic in general hones your reflexes, makes you unafraid of risks. It gives you a confident swagger. (Or is that just because your gluteal muscles are sore from the century you rode yesterday? Either way, it oozes sex appeal.) You can't get lost in TV, music, or other distractions if you don't want a pavement sandwich, so it gets very meditative; riding clears your head and leaves you alone with your body.

Riding regularly and pushing your body harder and harder whips your body and mind into shape faster than you could ever imagine. You're not using crude oil, so you're doing your part to reduce the power that Exxon/Mobil has over our lives...cycling is fast, fun, and free transportation. THAT is why you should get a bike.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 12:36      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I feel free to disagree mainly because I'm not afraid of cudgels.

I could change that but fast. [Big Grin]

Also, "Did he just say 'making fuck?'"

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture