homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » GC Dreams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GC Dreams
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 18:32      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... yeah. I had a dream that involved several members from the GC world. It went something like this:

Nitrozac and Snaggy were throwing a generic holiday party at some remote cabin in some nice snowy woods. There were blinking christmas lights- the big-bulbed kind.

While we were all m00ting and socializing, Snaggy stated that they would be offering web hosting and colocation services at a discount for members of the GC squad. Several of us, including Dragonman, DNM, myself, and I believe commandershroom (but I'm having trouble remembering) produced our server machines which we just happened to be carrying on our respective persons. It was peeb's job to get the machines all hooked up. Unfortunately, she plugged them in to the end of the christmas light strands. The lights were blinking on very slow intervals, so it would give the computers just enough time to start up, then it would cut their power and they would be out cold.

As soon as this happened the first time, I jumped up and said 'oh, fsck!!!' (no, I really did say 'fsck', this IS a dream, remember). I ran over and was panicking over my server, and peebs was emotionally destroyed because she had killed everyone's data. The dream ended with us all telling peebs it was okay, we had all the data backed up somewhere, even though we all knew that wasn't true.

Strange, no?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 19:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of this (true story)...

My company produces an industrial machinery monitoring system that continually writes data to a database on a server. One customer has having problems with their server corrupting the database at night and having to be restarted from a backup every morning.

After serveral days of troubleshooting, we sent someone on site. The server was found to have been installed in the maintenance manager's office and plugged into one of those adapters you screw into a light bulb socket to give you an extra plug in a room because there were no other free plugs available. At night, the cleaning crew was coming in and needed to vacuum the office.... [shake head]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 19:55      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that sounds like me. [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 20:19      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

Ooops, sorry if it sounded condescdending. [blush] I don't even know why you were represented like that in the dream. Dreams are just weird, so I just kind of went along with it...

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 20:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Reminds me of this (true story)...

My company produces an industrial machinery monitoring system that continually writes data to a database on a server. One customer has having problems with their server corrupting the database at night and having to be restarted from a backup every morning.

After serveral days of troubleshooting, we sent someone on site. The server was found to have been installed in the maintenance manager's office and plugged into one of those adapters you screw into a light bulb socket to give you an extra plug in a room because there were no other free plugs available. At night, the cleaning crew was coming in and needed to vacuum the office.... [shake head]

And that is why you never let maintenance/cleaning people into server rooms on their own. Need the place cleaned? Find a broom!

BTW, funny thing - the use of the term 'm00t' made me think that mmb had composed the initial post - wasn't for a bit that I realized who actually wrote it. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 21:42      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

Ooops, sorry if it sounded condescdending. [blush] I don't even know why you were represented like that in the dream. Dreams are just weird, so I just kind of went along with it...
No, it really does sound like me. And even if it didn't, who am I to complain? I once had a dream about TFD telling everyone to buy recyclable pets! [crazy]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 06:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know this place has gotten too far into your psyche when.. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture