homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Happy New Years?! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy New Years?!
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 11:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's probably been the new year for a few weeks in TFD's neck of the woods, but for csk and the other Aussies, let me wish you a Happy New Year!

Still a few hours away around these parts...

...which led me to start a thread.

What are you doing today/tonight?

(Mind you, the people with real lives won't read this until sometime next week. [Wink] )

Oh yeah...Happy New Years!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9334 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 12:23      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcohol. Bonfire. Half-nudity. Fireworks from the Rez.

That is what always happens nerdgramma's house ever New Years eve.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 12:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's coming up for Easter here, but thinking back to New Years eve...

It was a scorcher, the temperature peaked at 42.9 C (109 F) a little after 5 pm, and it was still 34.2C (93.6 F) at half past midnight. A new record for the day, beat the old one by 1C (not that there's anything to these scurrilous rumours of Global Warming, no no no no no !)
The technical term for that kind of weather is 'sh1tfull'.

We went to the harbour and watched the fireworks, then went home, put the kids to bed, had a cold shower, and sat around hoping for a cool change.

Photos of the fireworks to follow...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10681 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 13:04      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will most likely be holed up with my children.

If by some miracle I get a sitter, I will go down to my favorite bar and have a few drinks.

Happy New Year!

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 13:28      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently there is a "mad rad dance party" going on at a friend's house. But if that gets too rowdy, I'll probably go home and watch the ball drop with my sister.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 13:41      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be taking a break from the usual finance/beer/fantasy football crowd and getting completely shitfaced with a bunch of Umass Med students.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 13:52      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah, my celebrations were just washed down the drain, literally, massive rain, city's flooding (ok, not gonna destroy the city, but more than we can handle). Most celebrations are probably gonna be cancelled despite the City Council telling us they havn't cancelled anything.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 14:07      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delicious "punk rock pot-luck" at a friend's house. We're all gonna watch Sin City, eat lobster and stuffed artichokes and my delicious fudge brownies, yell over each other about how much we all fucking hate Carson Daly, and drunkenly make out with each other come midnight.
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 14:17      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sitting at home, making Steph watch all of the Star Trek movies. Well, the first 6 at least. Then we'll have a nice dinner and drink the bottle of Dom Perignon that I bought.

Although I must say Demosthenes, your get together sounds rather fun. Especially the drunken making out part....

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 14:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Delicious "punk rock pot-luck" at a friend's house. We're all gonna watch Sin City, eat lobster and stuffed artichokes and my delicious fudge brownies, yell over each other about how much we all fucking hate Carson Daly, and drunkenly make out with each other come midnight.

Wow... go figure. So, I was just telling goo about the weather here and how that's led me to kick back and watch Sin City on DVD, and she chimes in with "Oh, that's what Demos. is doing." Unfortunately, I'm not doing any of the other fun things listed there. Does hacking away at bad code count? That's probably how my evening is going to go - someone's gotta do it, might as well be me.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9334 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 14:57      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IRC.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 15:12      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
IRC.

Mind if I join you?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 15:15      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be nice. All I get is 'connection refused'. [Roll Eyes]

EDIT: Fixed it myself. Didn't even need the tech support ducks.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 15:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10681 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 15:23      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to be with my lady friend. First New Years Eve Ever where I will actually be with a girl at midnight.

As far as what I'll be doing otherwise, I'll spark up some ol' whitey in the chong machine, and yeah.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 31, 2005 15:40      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 2006 here! Wohooo! [Cool]

I was planning to go out and get wasted with my friends, but after 2 hours on streets of Ankara, I thought it would be better to spend the night with family. I sometimes wish I lived in Istanbul, that's where all the cool stuff happens..

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 15:58      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
Then we'll have a nice dinner and drink the bottle of Dom Perignon that I bought.

Wow you bought a bottle of Dom? *whistles* Let me know how it is. I don't think I'll be spending $100+ on champagne any time soon.

We'll have spaghetti for dinner tonight with some Chianti, unpack a few more boxes, maybe watch a bit of a New Years Eve show, drink some Bailey's and probably be in bed by 11:00.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 16:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now 00:01 here and we are lessthan sober

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL GC

luv footsie and Serenak

and a special hello to all who go n IRC too

xxx

hope it is agood one for you all

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 16:55      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected. My neighbors above us just invited the family over for New Years Eve. Guess I have something fun to do after all. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 31, 2005 17:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ing A!

That was one hell of a good movie!

--------------------

i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 17:38      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to get the Sin City DVD; I haven't seen that movie since it was in theaters.

As for my New Year's: My younger brother's birthday's today, so Mom, Dad, he, and I had dinner and he got presents. Now we're just sitting around while Mom makes a cake to take to work tomorrow. I'll probably just sit around for the rest of the evening and call someone at midnight.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 18:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like my New Years will be spent watching movies, talking on the phone and posting on here. Not bad, really.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 18:11      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I stand corrected. My neighbors above us just invited the family over for New Years Eve. Guess I have something fun to do after all. [Big Grin]

Yay! I hope Kaitlin doesn't get too cranky. Maybe she's a night owl and will stay up to ring in the new year.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 31, 2005 21:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year folks!

Had dinner with my mom, now I'm chillaxin' in front of the woodstove with Nitrozac and NitroKitty (who is doing very well thank you. [Smile] ) I'll be on IRC too.

Posts: 8117 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2005 21:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurray! Very glad to hear that Nitrokitty is well!

As is the action of the moment on IRC...
/me kisses Nitrokitty...

[Razz] [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture